This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

rake implement for cub?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Galen
10+ Years
10+ Years

rake implement for cub?

Postby Galen » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:33 pm

Can anyone tell me if International offered a rake implement for the cub- either mid ship or behind. I would like to have one for driveway maintenance. If there is one can anyone supply a picture or have one for sale. Thanks in advance -Galen

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 12:47 pm

Galen:

First let me extend a warm welcome to the very best Forum on the Net and to our Wonderful Cub Family :!: :D

To answer your question, I have seen this pic before on some site, don't know who it belongs to, but I like the idea and I want to make one for my Cubs. Thought about it for a couple of years now and maybe this winter I will make it.

Let me know if this is what you had in mind. Also, any design ideas would be helpful and appreciated. Always looking for projects to put on the server.

Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

artc
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 06457
eBay ID: cmtelephone
Tractors Owned: Restored: 1950 Cub, 1950 Cub Demo, 1948 super AI, 1935 Silver King, 1946 Oliver 60 RC, John Deere M, 1950 C demo.

In working clothes:
1950 cub, 1948 cub, 1941 A, 1948 H, 1963 B414, 1958 240U, 1947 Oliver 60 industrial, Oliver 70 industrial. IH 450, 1963, another 1948 cub, 1946 I6 with Trogan front blade.

Postby artc » Tue Oct 12, 2004 1:47 pm

or something like this?

called a spike tooth, or peg tooth, or drag, depending on what part of the country you are from.
'If they're tappin', they're not burnin'
http://www.ZagrayFarmMuseum.org

Galen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Galen » Tue Oct 12, 2004 2:56 pm

Yes, I had the belly mounted rake in mind but a pull-behind would do. I imagine E-bay might someday list a rake or I could try local tractor dealers. Any thoughts regarding sales? In worst casr, one could be fabricated from parts but I would rather it be authentic to Farmall Cub
G.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:57 pm

Rudi. That belly rake is really cool! Would you happen to know if it was fabricated utilizing grader blade hardware? Can't tell by the pic......
Ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 6:23 pm

Galen:

As far as I know from the literature I have seen and from comments on the various forums, there is no "authentic Farmall Cub stone rake".

If one may have been available at all it would have been manufactured by a third party possibly approved by IH. Jim Becker, Guy Fay and probably Mike Schmudlach would be in a better position to say yeah or nay on this point.

As far as control for depth/angle the belly mount would be far superior. Would not be all that hard to fabricate.

Also, rockett88 (John), bought a 3-point stone rake and modified the hardware to fit the Cub and apparently works real well.

Ron:

You are right, As the kids today say - it is waaaay cool!

From what I can tell, it is just a standard 3x3 or 4x4 angle iron with tines bolted to it. I cannot make out the mounting hardware either, so it will be a design challenge.

I have talked to a buddy (he is the head mechanic for the construction company that is playing in my back yard :D ) and he is of the opinion that it would not be hard to fabricate. It would just be tedious work drilling about 35 pairs of 3/8" holes to mount the tines. It is really hard to make out, but there is an pivot plate with pins to angle the blade in either direction. This also would be rather simple - I think I would set it up for 90 deg., 45 deg. and 22.5 degrees.

I played with the jpeg a bit, maybe this might make it easier to see.

To fabricate, my thoughts would be to use say 2-1/2 x 2-1/2 x 1/4" angle, tines from a spring tooth harrow - depending on the size of the tines any where from 15 to 30 of them equally spaced - drilled and bolted to the angle. There would have to be some say 2"x2" square stock to make a pair of arms/support bars that would go back to either the drawbar or the mounting pads. There would have to be another 2"x2" square stock with the pivot plate welded to it and the arm extending to the front tool bars. I would think that would provide enough stability. Both these arm assemblies would have to be able to roll vertically to account for lift and the lift would be accomplished either with chains or lift rods similar to the old Cub Blade. Just a few thoughts. Remember, I am a cabinetmaker not a steel fabricator, so my ideas could be full of hooey :!: :roll: :roll: :D

I have two major projects that I would like to get done this winter. One is the reel mower project and the second is the stone rake.

My kids want a rugby pitch in the back 40, so I will definitely need the rake to get rid of the stones and finish grade the pitch, and the mower to cut the grass a couple times a week. Gee - I just thought about it - SEAT TIME :!: :idea: :lol: :lol:

Now ifn some of the creative minds that haunt this forum were to come up with some suggestions, they would be accepted with open arms and a glad heart :!:

I would think that this could be fabricated for probably around $100.00 to $200.00 for the steel, tines and bolts etc.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:30 pm

The only Cub stone rake I can think of right now is an attachment for the Armor blade (Fast-Hitch). The rake goes on in place of the blade. I saw one out at PJ's during Cub-Arama.

Taking that idea as a cue, anyone that has an IH blade might be able to make a rake to go in place of the blade, using the entire blade frame. All the lift and angling parts are alrady done.

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:33 pm

Jim. Exactly what I was thinking. It would seem to be easy enough.........
Ron

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:09 pm

AAAAHHHH DUHHHH :!: :roll: :oops: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Sometimes I am just sooooooo thick :!: Why didn't I think of that :?: :?:

I think y'all just made the project simpler :!:

Jim:

Any idea how many tines were on that rake you saw? Any chance for a pic?

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:45 pm

Looks like 32 teeth across about 60 inches. There is a brochure on the TM site. I have a picture from JP's that I may be able to get shrunk to posting size after a while.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:11 am

Jim:

Any chance you could email me the pic???? Got my buddy coming over this evening and I would like to get his opinion on i. Thanks

Return to “Farmall Cub”