This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Oh my! what deck do I have here?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Oh my! what deck do I have here?

Postby John Niekamp » Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:40 pm

Hey guys,

After receiving some drawing prints and description of a "Kub Klipper" from Mr. England. I am really confussed on what I really do have. The picture here was several months ago, before I got it restored and never took any pictures of the deck itself. I'm in the process of building a complete new deck from this original. What ever it may be.

I can however explain a few points on the deck.

Has a built-in over running clutch pulley.

About 42 inch cut with two blades about 12 inches that swings on pivot bolts. These cutting blades are about 12 inches long.

All the way around the deck (less throwout openings) and 90 degree off the top of the deck there there is about a 4 inch wide piece of hot roll flat with slots to adjust this guard ??? up and down, for what ever reason.

The deck is octogon in shape.

Has two steel runner skids, one each side.

The lifting swing arms that pivots on the axel housings are made of straight hot roll angle 1/4"-2"X 2"

There is a cut out on both side for grass to come out.

Has one chain for lifting the deck up to the touch control arm.

There are two pulleys that can be adjusted independatly from one another to adjust belt tension and probably to get the belt to track right, these pulleys are located just under the PTO and make the 90 degrees on up to the deck.

Sorry, but this picture isn't very clear, I tried zooming in and croping, but started to loose the resolution. I don't know you may be able to zoom in on better with your software, but my software is rather limited.

It may even be an older Woods deck comparing to some others from other post that I have seen here. But the arms don't angle in and then back out to the outsides of the deck, mine are just straight and they appear to be the correct ones, there are slots on the deck to adjust these arms side to sode to get the deck in the correct location.

Any help here is as usual, GREATLY APPRECIATED

John Niekamp

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Well....

Postby SundaySailor » Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:28 am

John,

It is hard to say, but it does look a bit like my woods 42 mower. Mine does have the swivel blades on a pivot just as you describe. My mounting arms come from the back of the mower, and they mount very close to the draw bar. Your pulley looks to be the same diameter as mine. It could be an IH deck too. I've seen one IH deck on a Lo-boy 154 that had the openings like you have. Mine doesn't have them, but they could have been removed some time ago.

Ok Gents. Your turn.

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Rick ('50, NC)
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Rick ('50, NC) » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:13 am

John,

I believe that is a I-H C-2 mower. It looks just like mine, except yours is still the original white color, whereas mine has been painted red. I love mine. I find it a lot more useful overall than a C-3 (60") finish belly mower that I had.
My worst day on a Cub is better than my best day at the office!

KYMike
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby KYMike » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:03 am

Yeah, kinda looks like mine, too, which people here tell me is a C-2 (minus the overrunning clutch pully for the time being). :cry:

'53 Cub - You can make a small fortune in farming, provided you start with a large one.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:13 pm

KYMIKE,

That picture you posted looks just like mine and will look when I get my new deck made. Mine is all cracked around the bearing housing mounting holes and has been welded many times over the years. Then the hole in front of the bearing housing, is a dead give away, that must be the the access for the swing bolts.

SO, are parts still available for this I-H C-2 mower? I have replaced both of the bearings and seals, but it could use a new set of blades. I will make new pivot bolts myself. My adopted mom (the one who gave me the tractor) said it really viberated bad. Once I got it all apart I could see why, the blades were bent and twisted one of them wasn't even able to swing and the bolts were worn terribly bad and the holes in the blades were oblonged, with atleast 3/4 of inch slop.

Is this type of mower consider a semi-finish or roughing mower?

Also, would you by chance have any pictures on how it mounts to the axel housings? I think I know, but am not 100 percent sure, if I even have the correct brackets.

By the way, that's a nice looking Cub you have there Mike.

Rick (50), I think that I will paint mine to match the tractor too, PLUS, I have about 1/2 gallon of red left.

Rick (SS) I agree with you, after seeing the Woods, I thought the same thing, but them arms is what made me scratch my head. I think that I will lean towards it being a IH deck since I see KYMIKE's

Thanks for the help here guys,

John Niekamp

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 13, 2004 8:19 pm

The blades show available at Glade and Grove:

474025R1

Code: 474025R1
Price: $16.55

Shipping Weight: 4.00 pounds

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:13 pm

Its right here on Farmall Cub.comhttp://www.farmallcub.com/ih_mower_deck.htm
Young man for work, old man for advice

S.H.A.F.T.
10+ Years
10+ Years

Mower

Postby S.H.A.F.T. » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:19 pm

Yes, it is an IH, C-2 mower. I like the one I have too. Cuts nice. The blades are also still available as are the skids, from your IH dealer. I also bought a decal package from the dealer for it.

S.H.A.F.T.
"Son, you can do it right, or you can do it again."

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:44 pm

Thanks,

Since this is a IH product, does anyone know if it is still possible to obain an owner's manual for this deck?

Thanks Jim H. for the url for the rear mount pictures (don't know how you guys find these things on the site, but it's really appreciated) Mine is a little different from the one in the set of pictures, as you can see, but still the same general idea.

My PTO pulley isn't original Cub, it's the same size, I ordered a new "blank" (that was is actually better built and heavier than the one IH ordered for me) I bored out the taper for the original splined taper lock.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Wed Oct 13, 2004 9:47 pm

Young man for work, old man for advice

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:13 pm