This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Noise from transmission (?) area

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby farmallcub49 » Mon Oct 04, 2004 8:59 pm

You can replace the forks without splitting the tractor. Just use my instructions I gave you earlier. The rails slide rearward into the differential case giving you plenty of room to remove the forks. I 'll have to get a picture for you showing this.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:31 am

David:

Those instructions really describe a full teardown. It took me a while to get my head around that and actually see what I needed to see in regards to directions. Replacing the forks is really not that involved.

Got the pics sorted and labeled. Now working on the narrative. That might be a little difficult. Hopefully will have it finished tonight or tomorrow.

As I mentioned earlier, and as Andy has described, replacing the forks can be done comfortably with just the shift plate removed. Very little is needed for tools, just a 1/2 inch box end and maybe a 1/2" socket is all that is really required. Oh, can't forget a 1/4" brass drift or equivalent for persuading the poppet ball to go back into the bore behind the rod.

Don't forget to get a new gasket from you CaseIH Dealer (part # 351546R1),before you start. I had to wait 10 days to get my new ones. Which for me was okay, cause it took almost that long for me to get up the nerve to attempt this repair and actually get it done.

Thank God for the guys on this board, they sure help a guy get up the courage to attempt this :!:

And don't worry, the guys will walk you through this like they did for me :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

David
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby David » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:16 pm

Hi Rudi

I was wondering if your were able to get your photos/narrative of the forks changeout done?

Thanks, I am waiting until I see your photos, till I start the job.

David

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 15, 2004 6:45 am

David:

Almost done. Hopefully will be able to post tonight. Taking a little longer than I thought. Most difficult part is explaining what I did :roll: :roll: :oops: Course, with my ADVANCING age here, that don't take much.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

mopar1949
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mopar1949 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:23 am

My tranny wines alot while in first or reverse. It is louder in first than in any other gear. I thought this is normal because most tractor trannies wine. But mine also seems a little lowder than most. I have already changed the fluid wich had some water, but not enough that would have reached the gears. I am unaware as to how the water got in the oil, to my knowledge the tractor has never been under water but was parked frequently outside for a few years.

My question is; is it normal for the tranny to wine in this way, and where is the drain plug for the final drive housing?
1948 fcub Ser# 56129 with woods mower $350
1968 cub Ser# 231005 still running good $300

Being blessed by God with 2 great kids, a beautiful wife, and 2 cubs.

Priceless!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:28 am

Mopar1949 - some whine is normal as the gear teeth are square cut. It sounds like your first / reverse slider may have some excessive wear. Probably an indication that the tractor was used a lot in first gear. There are a lot more noisy ones out there than quiet ones I would guess.

There is no drain plug for the final drives. You drain them by removing the pans. Get new gaskets before you start this project.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 15, 2004 8:33 am

The transmission gears on a cub are cut square rather than angled as they are on automotive transmissions, so they usueally whine to varying degrees. Amount seems to depend on wear. To me it seems that the gears that whine the most are the ones that are used the least. To drain the final drives you have to remove the pans. I've heard several people discuss adding drains, but due to the thinness of the pan and proximity to the gear I don't know if this would be practical. Also considering the location ti would be very easy to knock off and not know it.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

mopar1949
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mopar1949 » Fri Oct 15, 2004 9:21 am

Thanks for the reply from both of you.

That is what I figgured. I knew the gears where square cut but I wanted to make sure that my gears were not makeing the noise differance because of excessive wear.
1948 fcub Ser# 56129 with woods mower $350

1968 cub Ser# 231005 still running good $300

Being blessed by God with 2 great kids, a beautiful wife, and 2 cubs.

Priceless!

David
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby David » Thu Oct 21, 2004 8:31 pm

Rudi -- did you post those pictures of your shifting fork replacement yet? Sorry for continually prompting you, but I don't want to miss the pictures!

Thanks

David

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:27 pm

David:

Seems like I am apologizing a lot lately :roll: And gotta do it again. If you noticed, I haven't been posting much for the last week. Been sick as a dog and mostly laid up in bed. Just get downstairs for a little bit every now and again.

However, I am beginning to feel better, I am 75% done and it should be ready shortly. Please hang in. Will post as soon as it is up!

Return to “Farmall Cub”