This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Some Questions and Thoughts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Some Questions and Thoughts

Postby JBall8019 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:06 pm

Hello Everyone,
I was getting my cub ready for the winter, tune up and a little more maintenance than normal. Seems as if this Ohio fall is really here. OK here are the questions... now there is a zerk in the bell housing where the clutch is located. How important is it to make sure its has grease, how often should it be checked and what is it there for anyway? i have owned my cub for almost two years and i just recently opened the inspection plate. What is the size or description of what kind of pto shaft does the cub have? Everytime i go to TSC i cannot find out to buy an adaptor.... which leads me to ask this, is it just me but i have noticed that TSC does hire some good looking women??? :D Well i have been catching up on all the posts that i have missed over the last two or three months, and i have noticed that there are alot of technical people on this board, farmers, engineers, technicians, machinists etc... I have been studying machine design and fabrication this past summer, and i was wondering if the rest of you guys have plans for any machines you have designed and built for your cubs? Especially if they were done in Autocad. I would imagine that Rudi would love to see them, he's a great guy to talk to , always thinking with good insight. One last thing, why isnt there cub gatherings in Ohio? i have seen many cubs in this state.
John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:40 pm

First, the grease fitting it for the throw-out bearing. A few shots of grease a couple of times a year will take care of it.
The best way to describe the cub pto is non-standard. It is a smaller diameter and turns in the opposite direction of a standard pto. It also runs at engine rpm rather than standard speed. There was a reducer / reverser made at one time but they are rare and expensive.

As for cub gatherings in Ohio - Start planning now for next June. Cubfest 2005 will be held in your back yard (so to speak). Father's day week-end in a small town called Stoutsville, just 25 miles south of Columbus in my back yard (literally). We have several good things planned for cub enthusiasts. Included will be some informal clinics / discussions, tractor games, and the world's first "cub only" tractor pull (just for fun). Watch the forums for more information becomes available. Plan on bringing your cub if you can and get ready for a good time.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:42 pm

One last thing, why isnt there cub gatherings in Ohio? i have seen many cubs in this state.
John

John,

I guess you missed out on CubFest 2003 in Ohio. We had people from all over the country from Maryland to Oregon, and Wisconsin to Texas.

CubFest 2004 was in Indiana, but CubFest 2005 will be back in Ohio. Start making your plans.
George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:45 pm

The grease zerk in the bell housing is for lubing the throw-out bearing. Probably wouldn't hurt to give a couple of shots now. If not, before you use it in the spring. :wink:

The PTO on the cub is one of a kind. It is smaller than anything out there, it turns the wrong direction, and you will not readily find any adapter to make it work on modern equipment. There are some out there...maybe someone will post a pic of one to this thread. 8)

No comment on the TSC girls or CAD.

Give Bigdog a shout....he will be hosting Cubfest 2005, in Ohio, next year. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 6:54 pm

Hi,
Bigdog, I found out the hard way that the pto is different, i ordered a post hole digger and just before I unpackaged it, my neighbor told me that I needed a 3 PT hitch and it wasnt made for my cub anyway! He told me that I should find equipment that is made specifically for the cub or start making my own. He told me the other day that I probably could find an adaptor that will fit over my pto and connect then i can used more standard shafts, but everytime i go looking for one i dont know what size and how many teeth the cub is. I used to push mow 4 acres with a 22" mower so you can understand why I love my cub so much. I cannot wait till June for the cubfest in your area. I know where Stoutsville is because i have worked on several roadway project in the area.
John

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 11:00 am

How would i measure the size of the PTO shaft? Is the diameter measured to the outiside of the teeth or the shaft? What is the correct size of the cub shaft? I never have had the PTO cover off of my cub and i want to make sure that no one has changed anything on my cub. By the way has anybody ever purchased these two items for thier cubs?
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?U ... =hydraulic
http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?U ... powerTrans
I do not see a problem of having a mount fabricated for the pump but trying to find a pto shaft adaptor could be a problem.
thanks
john

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:14 pm

I think you should be able to get them to work with the right adapters. The cub may not be able to deliver full output from the pmum due to horsepower considerations. I see the pump works as a reversing motor, will it also pump turning either way? The reducer would solve the reverse problem, but would leave the pump turning slower than shown on the page. I'm not sure, but I think the cub pto is 1 1/8 inch, 11 spline.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:59 pm

John,
I wouldnt mount both the pump or the reverser/reducer at the sime time. Yeah the pump will work in either direction. I have been thinking about my place and I may need another tractor but if I do not buy one any time soon, i should have a versatile machine in a year.

Oscar Meier
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Oscar Meier » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:20 pm

The TSC girls in Indiana could easily be the next company Playboy could do a pictorial with. Just like Homedepot, Enron & the others.

"The girls of TSC" That would get George Willer something to keep Elvira company in his shop.
48 CUB & 52 Super A

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Oct 20, 2004 2:55 pm

You never met the TSC girls in XXXXXX NY. Only fit for the Humane Society calander. Decided to leave out the town. Don't try to figure the number of x either, that is not right number or maybe it isr. I want to get waited on while shopping.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Thu Oct 21, 2004 6:25 pm

I have alot of experience in this area. I have a Cub with an aftermarket 3pt and a pto changer. Her is the problem. Pto is still too high and left for most hook-ups. 3pt can't lift enough and certainly won't be powerful enough to lift digger, and engine isn't powerful enough to turn digger anyway. Been There Done That!!!

JBall8019
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby JBall8019 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:39 am

wkpoor
I was wondering how much power would be lost when a reducer/reverser is added to the cubs pto, I was thinking a 25% loss. I have used a post hole digger mounted on a Ford 8n and I thought it worked fine. My cub mows better than than that 8n so I thought that my cub could handle the job. Would you mind if I sent you an email asking you about your hitch this weeeknd?
John

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:45 pm

John, email me at wkpoor@aol.com if you haven't already and give me your number. I got free weekend minutes or I could call tonight yet. Bill

Return to “Farmall Cub”