This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Question on Transmission input seal

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35
Circle of Safety: Y

Question on Transmission input seal

Postby Daniel H. » Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:36 pm

Hi Everyone,

I got a CR 9960 seal to replace the front seal on my transmission. I was going to use the old retainer as suggested in the A.T.I.S. FAQ on Cubs. However the seal is loose in the orignal retainer. Is it supposed to be this way or did they change it somewhere along the way. I think I could probably put some sealer around the outside of the seal to hold it in, but what should I use? Should I just order the seal from IH at around $15.00 plus UPS. Thanks!
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:32 pm

Cub-bud ran into the same thing when he redid Missy for me. I don't remember if the one I had purchased was to small or too large. There was a change somewhere along the way. When you put the retainer back in be sure you don't reverse it. If you do there is enough end play in the transmission shaft to allow the pto to slip out of gear.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

farmallcub49
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 56374

Postby farmallcub49 » Sat Oct 16, 2004 9:58 pm

Unless, you like to split your Cub more than once, spend the money and do it right! I repeat John's advice, make sure you put it the seal in right or you will struggle with why you pto doesn't engage! Don't ask why I know :oops: :oops: :oops: ! Remember the rubber needs to face the oil!

Ron
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ron » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:49 am

YEP!!

What the others said, I just did a rear split last week to put the seal in the correct way.
You're right, the pto will not stay engaged when you put it in backwards!!

Ron
1951 Farmall Cub

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Oct 17, 2004 4:50 pm

Daniel H,

The seal is too small for the retainer. It is not supposed to be that way. Go to your local dealer and buy the retainer with the seal in it and a new gasket. Be sure to put the new seal/retainer in "PROTRUDING SIDE IN" or you will be splitting the tractor again :oops: :shock: :!:

Some one needs to update the seal information here:

http://www.antique-tractor.com/CubFAQ/cub_faq.html#q6
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:05 pm

I put the part cross reference numbers into the FAQ based on what others have posted here. I don't have the reference material to check most of the numbers. I'll be happy to update it if somebody can give me the right information.

Right now the FAQ lists CR 9960 and National 474250 for the transmission input seal. Are either of these numbers correct?

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:44 pm

The CR 9960 is just enough too small on the OD to be loose in the retainer. I didn't try the National.

When you say put the seal in the correct way, can you be more specfic. I've had this thing apart a while so my memory isn't as claer as I wish it was. When you look at a seal, one side has the spring. Is this side supposed to go to the oil or away from the oil. Here is a picture:

Does the left or right side of the seal go to the oil? Thanks. This has always confused me.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:44 pm

Right Side 8)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Oct 17, 2004 8:44 pm

The correct way for a seal (in most applications including this one, but NOT ALL) is for the spring to go towards the oil (oil to the right in your picture). However, in this case the concern is which way the seal retainer is turned. It will bolt on either way but needs to be turned to hold the seal as far into the tranmission housing as possible.

I have removed CR 9960 from that entry in the FAQ. I am waiting to hear from someone that has tried National 474250. I also borrowed an IH seal cross reference list this weekend and checked all the seal numbers in the table. If IH had a crossover listed, I added it to the FAQ in boldface.

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Mon Oct 18, 2004 8:02 am

Jim,

Thanks for all your time in working on the FAQ. I have purchased all new ball and roller bearings for my cub transmission and final drives. When I verify the fit I will give you these numbers. They are all current TIMKEN or SKF numbers. I also have Speedi-Sleeve numers for most of the shafts. Thanks again. Daniel

Return to “Farmall Cub”