This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'57' rebuild

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Brockway
10+ Years
10+ Years

'57' rebuild

Postby Brockway » Sun Oct 17, 2004 3:52 pm

Well guys,my '57' restoration is complete.The little cub looks great.Man,talking about a confidence builder,every piece of the '57'was disassembled and replaced or rebuilt.I rebuilt the engine(after machine work),the distributor,govenor,trannyand final drives.This was my first time and it feels great!!!I still need the correct grill for the '57'.The only problem I had after getting back together was coolant leaking around the manifold studs & head bolt #10 in the torque sequence.I tried the teflon thread sealer,no luck.It will not hold up to the heat.I suspected this but what the heck! Can someone tell me how to seal these bolts?I will post the grill ad on the other forum.Thanks in advance and thanks to everyone on this forum for your help in the building of my new cub.Jim
I have pictures but don't know how to post.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Thread sealer.

Postby Eugene » Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:31 pm

Paste type thread sealer from the plumbing/hardware/auto parts stores. It's used on Allis Chalmers engines - their intake/exhaust manifold studs extend into the water jacket. Make sure the threads in the head and bolt/stud are clean and dry - put a liberal amount of the sealer on all of the bolt/stud threads as well as the threads in the head/block. Assemble then let set overnight before adding water.

Non hardening gasket maker (comes in a tube - auto parts store) will also do the trick.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:04 pm

Brockway,

Congrats :!: :!: Great feeling isn't it :!: 8) 8)

To seal the bolts I used Permatex High Temp Thread Sealant (no leaks) 8) I got it from NAPA 8)

Brockway
10+ Years
10+ Years

'57'rebuild

Postby Brockway » Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:32 pm

Donny,did you have the same problem with the manifold studs leaking?

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Oct 19, 2004 3:16 am

Brockway,

I did use the thead sealer on the exhaust manifold studs and haven't had any leaks at all. I'm a little :shock: as I have rebuilt this tractor from the ground to the rain cap. The only leak I've had is the oil pan gasket that I made (cork). I replaced the gasket with a Case/IH (rubber) and now have zero leaks. I could park the tractor on Merry's hardwood floors and she wouldn't complain. 8)

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Tue Oct 19, 2004 10:36 am

Donny: I don't believe you should try the last item in you post. You might come home from the next trip to find that the cubs are gone and the money used to buy that new living room suite she has been wanting. Dan

Brockway
10+ Years
10+ Years

'57' rebuild

Postby Brockway » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:06 am

Thanks guys for the info on sealing the stud bolts.I now have another problem.I noticed Hy-Tran leaking from the right final drive,leaking around the pan gasket,or so I thought.After changing the gasket,which I have a bad habit of tightning to much,I still had the leak.What I found was a hair line crack in the final drive housing between the pan bolts .The crack is where the gasket goes on the outside edge between the bolt holes extending about 2" outward toward the axle and stops.Can this be fixed or do I need to just replace?Thanks,Jim

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:56 am

Definitely not an expert, but since that isn't a high stress area I would think drilling the end of the crack to prevent progressing, and then cleaning it out with a Dremel or similiar, then using JB Weld or Devcon would do the job, or brazing/welding if you prefer.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”