Paint for Rusty Metal

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!

Moderator: Team Cub

Forum rules
1. Keep it clean.
2. Keep the discussion civil.
3. Name calling is not allowed.

Politics and religion are two topics that tend to degenerate into a violation of one of the three simple rules above.

The mods and the site admin reserve the right to "lock" or "delete" any discussion that in our opinion, is "heading in the wrong direction."

MOST of all, be respectful of your fellow Cubber's opinions. Don't expect to change someones belief system from a simple forum on the internet.

Paint for Rusty Metal

Postby Dan England » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:43 am

I have a 10X12 metal shed which shows more rust than paint. I have nothing against rust, it complements the color of the autumn leaves in the background. My wife feels differently so I am going to paint before winter arrives. Is there a primer which will bond with and neutralize the rust so that it won't bleed through the paint. I plan to do a quick wire brush job but don't want to expend time and effort which would be required to really clean it well before applying primer. Will Rustoleum primer do the job. If not, what will work. Thanks, Dan
Dan England
501 Club
501 Club

Zip Code: 71770
Skype Name: danengland1

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:02 pm

POR-15 makes one, but I don't think it's practical for this applicatiuo, plus I don't think it's all that great. I used to buy a rusty metal primer from Orscheln, maybe Van Sickle brand. Failing to find that I would probably go to the red oxide primer or zinc chromate. Be sure to get all the tree sap off with TSP or something similiar.
"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government
to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the
government lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry
John *.?-!.* cub owner
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby mopar1949 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:02 pm

Dan:

Phosphoric (I think that is how it is spelled AKA "Ospho") Acid is a rust killer that converts rust in to a primer. I usually buy mine from a paint shop such as Sherman Williams or maybe home depot. This stuff works great I just spray it on with a bug sprayer and let set for a while, then rinse with water. It is also environmentally safe and can be found in
coke-a-cola. It will also clean your metal prior to painting because it eats dirt and calcium. It will turn all rust black and is what is used to create rot iron. About $20.00 a gallon and can be cut with water up to 50/50 and still do a great job.

In my opinion, it is the best way to go especially on a large project. :wink:
1948 fcub Ser# 56129 with woods mower $350
1968 cub Ser# 231005 still running good $300

Being blessed by God with 2 great kids, a beautiful wife, and 2 cubs.

Priceless!
mopar1949

Return to Off Topic