This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Paint for Rusty Metal

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Paint for Rusty Metal

Postby Dan England » Wed Oct 20, 2004 10:43 am

I have a 10X12 metal shed which shows more rust than paint. I have nothing against rust, it complements the color of the autumn leaves in the background. My wife feels differently so I am going to paint before winter arrives. Is there a primer which will bond with and neutralize the rust so that it won't bleed through the paint. I plan to do a quick wire brush job but don't want to expend time and effort which would be required to really clean it well before applying primer. Will Rustoleum primer do the job. If not, what will work. Thanks, Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:02 pm

POR-15 makes one, but I don't think it's practical for this applicatiuo, plus I don't think it's all that great. I used to buy a rusty metal primer from Orscheln, maybe Van Sickle brand. Failing to find that I would probably go to the red oxide primer or zinc chromate. Be sure to get all the tree sap off with TSP or something similiar.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

mopar1949
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mopar1949 » Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:02 pm

Dan:

Phosphoric (I think that is how it is spelled AKA "Ospho") Acid is a rust killer that converts rust in to a primer. I usually buy mine from a paint shop such as Sherman Williams or maybe home depot. This stuff works great I just spray it on with a bug sprayer and let set for a while, then rinse with water. It is also environmentally safe and can be found in
coke-a-cola. It will also clean your metal prior to painting because it eats dirt and calcium. It will turn all rust black and is what is used to create rot iron. About $20.00 a gallon and can be cut with water up to 50/50 and still do a great job.

In my opinion, it is the best way to go especially on a large project. :wink:
1948 fcub Ser# 56129 with woods mower $350
1968 cub Ser# 231005 still running good $300

Being blessed by God with 2 great kids, a beautiful wife, and 2 cubs.

Priceless!

Return to “Off Topic”