Heating with a torch

Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:17 pm

This was posted on YTMAG. I thought it good to pass on.

Today at work a young man was using a torch to heat up a pin on a bulldozer. The pin was actually the hinge pin for the loader. He was trying to get it out to take the boom/loader arms off of the dozer.
As he heated the pin he didn't realize there was a grease fitting facing him. Well he kept heating it and as it smoked and built pressure internally from the grease boiling and the fitting getting read hot, it finally blew out the little ball from the grease fitting like a bullet. Luckily he wasn't in front of it. It flew 30 feet then stuck in the wall of the shop. The grease fitting turned into a 6 ft flame thrower until it ran out of grease to shoot.
This could of been fatal.

Re: Heating with a torch

Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:44 pm

Good artical John. I hope the arm was in the down postion. I'm glad he's OK.

Re: Heating with a torch

Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:09 am

VERY GOOD POST!..I've never heard of such a thing and would/have done similar things in my past.No more!. Thanks John