This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How many of you have run over your foot?

Have a safety tip you want to share? Did you or a friend learn it the hard way? Help someone else by posting your tips on tractor, farm, shop, lawn, garden, kitchen, etc., safety.
Forum rules
Safety is an important and often overlooked topic. Make safety a part of your everyday life and let others know how much you care by making their lives safer too. Let the next generation of tractor enthusiasts benefit from your experience, and maybe save a life or appendages.
Pony Master
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62253
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: How many of you have run over your foot?

Postby Pony Master » Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:40 am

I am very glad to hear that you are alright. That could have been a bad one. It is a very good reminder of how even those of us who are safety minded can get bit.
1947 Circle Cub, 193, 189
1954 Cub w/FH, IH100, 194, F11
1956 Cub Loboy w/FH and 194
1960 Cub Loboy w/FH and L-54
1953 Super A, 2 seater B, Avery V, Avery A, JD M, MH Pony, Leader D, Allis Chalmers C, and my Great Grandpa's ZA Minneapolis Moline.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sun Jan 11, 2009 8:31 am

I have caught a toe while rolling a dead tractor around the shop but never while trying to start one. Shaking hands with the gearshift is automatic with me. It's just something I do even though I leave my tractors parked in neutral when on level ground. You never know if someone else has driven the tractor and parked it in gear so I always check. It's a habit that's easily formed if you work at it a bit.
I have mentioned before the results of starting a tractor from the ground. A contractor at a factory where I worked was killed doing just that. They had a forklift with a bad solenoid and routinely started it by shorting the solenoid with a screwdriver. It was two days before Christmas and they were loading equipment to leave the site since they were done. This fellow started the forklift and it was in gear. The front wheel ran over his foot and he fell while trying to get away from it. It rolled right over his body and head. Not a pretty sight. I was on the medical response team and was one of the first to arrive and was assisting with maintaining his airway. I had his head in my hands and it felt like his skull had been crushed as it felt like I was holding a bag full of marbles.
That leaves a lasting impression on you.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:06 am

glad to hear you survived that with the minimal reminder. i have never done it with a tractor, i also, as has been posted always have the handshake with the shifter prior to start ups. i did have my foot ran over with a sats loader on the flight line, made me feel like my head was going to explode, i'm glad the guy who was driving it kept moving otherwise i'm sure i would have past out to goo goo land. once while trying to get a two speed motto guzzi motorcycle started hit the starter and had it lurch forward into the side of my knee. it wasn't meant to bend sideways.luckily all of this happened in my younger years while my resiliency was in full gear. :shock: :)): :shock:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Mike in Louisiana
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71023

Postby Mike in Louisiana » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:49 am

Well I have done a lot of dumb things but no tractor on my foot "YET".
I have rolled the cub twice (hate to mention the twice) First time was not to
long after i bought it (1980) and really did not realize how easy they go over on the
left side. I was an a really small road ditch that I still cut today but in the other direction.
The second time was about 7 years ago and was on a very very small incline but the mower
caught on a tree root before I could get a foot on the clutch it went over. Both times
I managed to jump clear with no injuries except to my pride.
1975 cub (LouAnn) serial # 245946, 1941 John Deere Model H

Good judgment comes from experience,
and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. Will Rogers

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:29 am

Glad your ok. Remember these aren't toys and can hurt us.

"national timbers fallers association" motto "ask yourself is what i'm about to do safe"????

I often wondered why gravely put a shutoff button inside the back of the right handle. I found out one day when plowing snow on a hill. I fell behind it while in reverse with the dualwheels with tire chains headed right at me. Of course that shutoff button worked.

Ot; In elevator school they teach that you only have the first "2" feet to do anything, after that gravity takes over when your falling. I've seen it happen kuckily there was a rope for the winch hanging in the elevator shaft and that saved his life.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

ellen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ellen » Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:51 pm

Ouch!!! :censored: :censored:
It takes a real man to admit he messed up!!! :-:-):

Alan Riley
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71328

Postby Alan Riley » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:37 pm

Jim, since you obviously will still be in too much pain to attend Gary's cubfest, not to mention being too embarrassed, can I have your share of the crawfish??? :lol: :twisted:
Old Age: The phase of life when nothing works and everything hurts...

Jerry M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27521

Postby Jerry M » Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:36 am

Jim, I'm glad it wasn't any worse than it was. I personally haven't done that yet, then again, I haven't had my cub all that long either. However, when I was a small kid, I do remember a man just a couple of houses up the road who kept his cub in an old tobacco barn that he no longer used for curing tobacco, and he hand cranked his one early morning and it fired right up in first gear and pinned him up against the wall of the barn with him yelling until his wife finally heard him and come running and cut off the cub. He was hurt pretty seriously but eventually recovered.

Jerry

that reminds me, I should do some research and try and locate that old cub. :D

That man (Mr. Joshua) and my grandfather were the only two to own cubs in the small town of Lowland, N.C..
1951 Cub, 22 Mower, 54 Grader Blade, Danco International Belly Mower,
193 Moldboard Plow, #144 Cultivators, Disk Hillers, IH Two-Section Spring Tooth Harrow, #16 Middle Buster, #3 Field Cultivator, Hester Tractor Plow, 2 Disk Harrows.

Return to “Safety Forum”