This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cub burned in a fire

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac
Circle of Safety: Y

Cub burned in a fire

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:24 pm

I live in Colorado, and rarely see Cubs for sale, so I stopped today and talked to the owner. He had bought it as a parts tractor for his brother who then didn't need or want it. It was outside a building which burned down. As a result, the tires, wiring insulation, and aluminum (radiator and serial number plate) are all melted off. It has a fast hitch which I think is worth more than the $100 he wants for it. I'm tempted to buy it to take apart for my own personal education. I'm guessing the engine and everything is probably trash. Anybody had one like this? Comments appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Oct 22, 2004 6:59 pm

Grab it while you can. I bought one just like that except it didn't have the fast hitch. I've already got my money back out of the tractor and have several salvageable parts left to go.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:16 pm

I bought Jethro for $100.00Cdn and I can guarantee ya, it paid. There was probably less left of him than what you can get out of the toasty cub there.

I would buy it for sure.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Cub burned in a fire

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:55 pm

rjmac wrote:It was outside a building which burned down. . . . I'm guessing the engine and everything is probably trash.

If it was outside the burning building, it may not be in as bad a shape as you would think. If it has been sitting outside with the exhaust uncovered, that may have done more damage than the fire. After you haul it home, open up the transimission and see if the oil has burned, same with what is on the dipstick. If neither show any evidence of burning, it is probably OK.

Bob McCarty
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 80501
Tractors Owned: Cubs, MH Pony, Shaw, Allis G, 1934 Silver King, JD LA and LI, Gibson D, David Bradley Tri-Trac

Postby Bob McCarty » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:12 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'll call him tomorrow and see when I can bring it home, and find a place to hide it while my wife is out of town!!

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:17 pm

I'll second the rest of them. I gave 200 for a burned one and drove 400 mile round trip to get it, and have more than made my money back. Most major parts will be ok. The longer it sets the harder it will be to take apart. One bad thing is it's real messy taking it apart.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:29 pm

I had a crispy critter cub offered to me today for $300. delivered .

It got cooked enough that most of the alum/pot metal is gone .
The dipstick is a little greasy but no oil on it.

it has fast hitch bench seat (frame ) it is a square front (flat face) hood and tank is straight
Looked at this tractor the day before the fire and they wanted $3200. for it

a lot of good parts but a close call at the price
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:31 pm

While you have it on a trailer you may want to wash it off at a car wash. That will make it alot easier to mess with.

Just my 2 cents
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:39 pm

That is good advise

I have a large pressure washer washer about 3 times as powerful as car wash(1500#) and place to blast it with 5000 lbs of water pressure .
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Albie
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: Cub burned in a fire

Postby Albie » Sat Oct 23, 2004 7:24 am

rjmac wrote:I live in Colorado, and rarely see Cubs for sale, so I stopped today and talked to the owner. He had bought it as a parts tractor for his brother who then didn't need or want it. It was outside a building which burned down. As a result, the tires, wiring insulation, and aluminum (radiator and serial number plate) are all melted off. It has a fast hitch which I think is worth more than the $100 he wants for it. I'm tempted to buy it to take apart for my own personal education. I'm guessing the engine and everything is probably trash. Anybody had one like this? Comments appreciated.
Hi It should be a great deal for parts..and I need some parts if you purchase the Cub I would buy from you. E mail me for thee list and see if we can mske a deal AlBie

Return to “Farmall Cub”