This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Seed Exchange

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Seed Exchange

Postby Eugene » Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:25 pm

Open for discussion. Exchanging seeds from heirloom vegetables.

From a previous post: "Eugene!!---go ahead and start another thread on the subject and add a poll to see if there would be enough interest!!---It is a very good idea!---We try to plant as much op (open pollinated) varieties as possible and save seed,(always save a ton too much)--have saved seed for years!"

Still thinking about the topic.

Right now I'm thinking that this should take place on a rather informal basis. For example, I have some saved pumpkin seed and ornamental gourd seeds. Enough saved seeds to send to one individual and keep some for myself. Both types are unknown as to quality. By the time someone paid the postage for two envelopes - that would almost equal the price of the $1 seed packets in the grocery or hardware store.

Open for discussion.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Seed Exchange

Postby SONNY » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:46 pm

Some varieties are NOT available locally so in order to get a start of them you have to order them from some other source!!!---that is our problem here!---We are NOT in a garden/agriculture friendly area,---in fact it is ANTI-AG. so seed/chems.(unless its for lawns)/fert. etc. buying is very scarce!
I know some of you have the local feed store,--and that makes me jealous!! thanks; sonny

Miss Farmall
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30102
eBay ID: staasee
Tractors Owned: no Cub : (

Postby Miss Farmall » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:12 pm

Eugene, just a thought but if you dont want to exchange via the mail service you could always do a sort of "swap" at your cub get togethers. Might not work out for everyone to plant the seeds they swap and receive for that current planting season but it would be good to have seeds for next season in case you are too late for planting by the time you get them. I know I would love to swap some seeds with other folks at our gatherings. It would be another fun thing to look forward to and would be interesting to see what you could collect. I would mostly be interested in swapping flower seeds myself. :D http://www.seedswaps.com/ or http://www.garden.org/seedswap/ <<are swap sites where you might find some heirloom seeds?
Last edited by Miss Farmall on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Just call me coconut... Blonde on the inside!
I'd suggest you just stop talking and walk away lest I forget I was raised to be a lady.

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:09 am

I've been thinking about this seed swap thing. Yesterday I got out the new catalogs and looked for seeds marked 'heirloom'. Not surprising I did not find many. Seems that the big companies have some, the organic and specialty company's have less, and the AG focused folks seem to have the most. Genetically engineered seeds are the hot thing now. So, if you want to go the heirloom route a seed exchange would be a terrific idea. Only problem I can see is getting the USPS and Homeland Security folks stirred up. I sure don't want to be labeled 'terrorist.'
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:02 pm

I think as long as the package isnt glowing in the dark, they probably dont say anything!---I have sent/received a few seeds over the years and I am still on this side of the vertical bars!--lol!!----Might be something to check on though, as to what or if there are regulations and what they might be just be on the safe side!

I would just send them in a common envelope.
Virginia saw somewhere that you can legally send seeds as long as its within the USA borders!---UNLESS you have state or local area regulations regarding this I dont see a problem!! thanks; sonny

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:48 pm

as long as you send inside the continental US it is fine, once you cross borders then you need to have the seed tested for other weed seeds in your batch.

Miss Farmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Miss Farmall » Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Smig is correct. USPS does not mind if seeds are sent locally in the USA.
I get/have gotten seeds in regular mail.
Last edited by Miss Farmall on Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'd suggest you just stop talking and walk away lest I forget I was raised to be a lady.

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:11 pm

Miss Farmall wrote:Smig is correct. USPS does not mind if seeds are sent locally in the USA.

It does depend on the type of seed also :lol: :lol: :lol:

we have 3 good seed sources close to me Of course you cant get a milkshake in 30 miles :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Miss Farmall
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Miss Farmall » Tue Jan 20, 2009 3:49 pm

It does depend on the type of seed also

Who you kidding? You know you will keep those for yourself! :lol:

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”