This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

hydroponics

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

hydroponics

Postby daddydip » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:19 pm

i have been toying with the idea of doing some hydroponic gardening. i think i want to do this in conjunction with raising some tilapia. possibly trout and cat fish. i was wondering if any one else here has ever tried this endeaver. i'm thinking right now about starting fingerlings in a 50 gallon fish tank or barrels during the winter to start.then only doing a six month run during april through september so that i wont have to heat constantly, as that can be very expensive. the hydroponic gardening can actually be used as a means to filter the tank water especially since they generate a lot of nitrogen which green leafy vegetables flourish on. the change out water can be used to water the veggy garden. i see a whole lot of positive to trying to do this after the initial investment. which basically will be 1000 gal. fish pool, i have an excellent lead on, air pump for aeration of the water,and filtration system which can basically be built( u tube and the net) water would be pumped from my lower well and all would be used in either my veggi garden or in my the greenhouse. i'm tweaking the idea of this and figured i'd put it out here to see if any ones already walked the walk . one more thing i'd like to make my own feed. which would be wheat based would probably add soy and minerals to bring it up to at least a 45% protein. mix in a mixer and use blood as a coagulant. end product run through a grinder to make it like spagetti and dry and refrigerate. just idea's but i really like the idea of raising my own and selling the excess. :idea: :idea: :idea:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: hydroponics

Postby SONNY » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:47 pm

Never tried it, but if you have the resources to set it up and the time to manage it,---it should work!----I am sure there will be some trial/error involved, but that would be the case in most new ideas!---Keep us posted as to how it goes and post pics. along the way too if you can! thanks; sonny

TexCub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 77316
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: hydroponics

Postby TexCub » Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:33 pm

Sounds like a great idea, I like the aspect of using multiple projects in tandem to take advantage of the entire cycle of things. Using byproducts of one to benefit another. I've got a bit of experience with hydroponics but not at all on the level you're aiming at. The setup I used was much smaller and only amounted to measuring nutrients correctly and water aerated to get a few token veggies to satisfy my curiosity. Good luck and I can't wait to hear more about it!!!

Dave
53 Cub, C-2 mower, grader blade, cultivators, & a few plows

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”