This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The "H"

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

The "H"

Postby Harold R » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:48 am

My Dad has a chance at getting an H virtually free. I know nothing about these tractors other than they are pretty big in size. A local guy has two. One runs but it was converted to 12v and it was a botched up job. The other tractor ran up to 2 years ago when it was parked under a shed. The owner said it ran, but smoked pretty bad. It would need an overhaul and new tires, but the tractor is 100% there. If my Dad,(and me) would fix the charging system on the running tractor, the other we could have.
It sould like a good deal to me, even if we have to buy a new alternator and completely re-wire it. It's just that I know nothing about the H. Good tractor to have? Parts as available as for a cub? My Dad is a very good machinist and mechanic, retired, but still with access to the shop. I'm figuring about 2k, and he should have a sweet tractor. Opinions, please.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:57 am

HR - the H is a great tractor to have. There are tons and tons of them out there. Parts are plentiful and reasonable. To pick one up that cheaply is a chance of a lifetime. (I may have to modify the cub beacon to include H's) I would go for it in a heartbeat.
H's are very handy around the farm etc. I have a front end loader on mine and use it quite often.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:04 am

Sounds like the BD answered your question doesn't it.
Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

George Willer
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 43420

Postby George Willer » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:08 am

H.R.,

Why not try to get them both? They go well with Cubs. This is Mike and Ike, flanked by Tyke and Sandy.

George Willer
http://gwill.net

The most affectionate creature in the world is a wet dog. Ambrose Bierce

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 01, 2004 9:50 am

I was raised on Hs, and though it's been many years since I seriously used one, I still love the old rigs. Here is a link to wiring diagrams for H and M (both the same wiring). Keep us posted on your progress.
http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIn ... 065733&f=0
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Mon Nov 01, 2004 10:32 am

Thanks for the replies. I sorta thought it was a good opprotunity. The gentleman was hesitant at first to let either of them go, so my Dad was just going to let it go. Just like most of you, this guy "grew up on them". His Dad was the original owners and they were purchased locally. But, he figured it was better to have one running than two that didn't. (He confessed to be mechanically challenged.)
I owe it all to Cubarama. Since my Mom passed away 9 months ago, I've been trying to keep my Dad occupied for obvious reasons. I brought him with me to Cubarama, and he got hooked. He's more of an antique car man, and has been looking for a '40 Ford, but was never able to find one affordable. This deal is affordable. He's got too much wisdom and talent to just hold down a lazy-boy all day!! I'll keep you posted and may have a pic or two soon.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 01, 2004 11:38 am

Lucky dad. He has a good and caring son. Sounds like what goes around comes around too.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Buggyscott
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Buggyscott » Mon Nov 01, 2004 12:47 pm

In addition to my Cub, I also have a 41 H. Raised on H's, great tractors, well worth having and good workers. Still a lot around so parts are no problem.
Got a Cub and a good team of horses, nothing else I need or want except maybe another Cub and some more equipment!

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Mon Nov 01, 2004 7:19 pm

An easy "out" on the charging set-up is to go with a Delco "one wire" alternater. They're not too expensive, and you only have to hook up one wire. :idea:

Go for it!! There were about 500K Hs and super Hs built, parts aplenty!! New engine kits are still availlable through the dealer network, and from after-market sources.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Mon Nov 01, 2004 8:27 pm

Go for it.. You won't regret it...
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

ljw
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45042

Postby ljw » Tue Nov 02, 2004 12:01 am

The first tractor I owned was an H. No hydraulic hitch on most of them, but from my experience they were reliable workhorses. I had an old trip bottom plow, discs, and a pull type bush-hog. About once or twice each summer I had to clean the oil off #3 plug when the engine started missing. It was a 6 volt, but would always start in the winter if you knew how to make all the right moves. Your Dad will enjoy owning this tractor!

ljw

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”