This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Cheap fertilizer?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Cheap fertilizer?

Postby Super A » Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:34 pm

Super A wrote: 3. Do a soil test. That's the only way to be sure what your garden soil needs. Most states offer basic fertility, & pH soil tests for free. (pH is important, if you're too acid or alkaline, the plants can't uptake the nutrients properly no matter how much you apply.) Go to the extension office, get the materials, follow the directions, and know for sure.

Al

Curt,

Whatever you buy, before it's time to plant don't forget #3 from my earlier post! In the long run it'll save you time, and $! :D
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

phildidit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30114
Tractors Owned: 1951 cub "Ms. Scarlett"
1962 Leora's loboy "Starburst"

Postby phildidit » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:17 pm

do you think goat manure mixed with hay would work for fertilizer?

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Postby Eugene » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:31 pm

do you think goat manure mixed with hay would work for fertilizer?
I get turkey manure. Turkey growers in this area use wood chips as bedding. Turkey manure needs to rot for quite some time to reduce the wood chips to compost.
I have an excuse. CRS.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:54 pm

Goat manure and straw mix can be used directly on the garden without burning/hurting the plants, because it is not as strong as---say poultry manure, or others!
At one time we had access to rabbit manure and that worked direct applied too! thanks; sonny

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Mon Feb 02, 2009 11:56 pm

Speaking of eggs, my co agri. teacher at school is teaching an animal science class this semester. Mostly sophomores, with some juniors and seniors. Many are interested in careers in vet. medicine or the human health field. He had several this week that honestly did not know that eggs come from chickens.

That is what we are dealing with as a society. Understanding where the food comes from is critical. Too easy for misinformation to spread if people don't understand at least the basics. Reminds me of alar on apples back in the late 80's (or 90's?). Lots more hype than facts.

and you didn't know green beans come from a CAN, did you.

best to composte goat manure with straw, will break down in about a months. and apply in the fall. However you can apply direct, but will not help much the first year.

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:56 am

phildidit wrote:do you think goat manure mixed with hay would work for fertilizer?

As already mentioned, it's best if it's composted first if there's much hay/straw in it or not. Hay, straw, wood shavings, etc. have a high carbon-to-nitrogen ratio. In plain english that means that it takes a lot of nitrogen to break them down in the soil. Using them 'fresh' will actually "rob" nitrogen for a while until the material breaks down.

If it's just a little bit of hay, it's probably ok.

Al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:26 am

My homemade dirt was made by just dumping it all on heavy ,( manure with wood chips , tree leaves, grass, etc.) Subsoil, and moldboard plow it under DEEP and have garden every year!---Best sweet corn I ever grew was on first year plowed sod with a foot of chips and horse manure on top, and plowed under about 16 inches deep with the the BIG single bottom plow and tilled fine on top.
The garden that I am moving is a layer of black dirt (homemade layer) over 2 feet thick, or deeper and I have had the best garden ever in it every year. thanks; sonny

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:24 pm

No question that manure is more organically correct. If you are close to a free or low cost manure source, have a small enough garden to make it labor effective, and are young enough to see long term results, then go for it. However as others have said the plants don't care where the food comes from. Manure is as much a soil builder as a sorce of nutrients so it may take much more than you think to achieve the results you expect. Chemical applications may make more sense for a lot of reasons. If you are going to use bagged fertilizer check with your local Co-Op or farm supply because they will usually sell the bagged stuff for bulk ton price if you buy a ton. It does not go bad in the bag if stored properly. Lots of propaganda out there about 'natural or organic' farming. The use of natural fertilizer is as old as farming itself but remember that they did not have the bagged or bulk stuff back then. The choice is yours and invite us all over when the corn and maters are ripe.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Tue Feb 03, 2009 3:40 pm

Use green manure...grow a plant that is loaded in nitrogen and turn it in. Peas are high in nitrogen so are other legume.
Get the catalog from Peaceful Valley. They sell seeds for green manure crops that you can grow quickly and turn in. And don't buy fertilizer by the bag if you go that route. See if you can get bulk rates and split it with someone else. Quantity discounts are available with seeds, feeds and fertilizer.
For those of you near a coast, use sea weed. That stuff is awesome.
You can learn alot on these forums. When I had chickens, I was wondering where all the eggs came from. Now thanks to Matt Smigelski I now know that eggs come from chickens. I thought everyone was just messing with my head.
Chris

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:55 pm

Chuckwheat thanks for the mentioning, it is hard to find people who acknowledge others

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:03 pm

smigelski wrote:Chuckwheat thanks for the mentioning, it is hard to find people who acknowledge others

Matt, you're a good egg as my grandfather used to say. Hope all is well down there in Southern Jersey. CW

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:28 pm

Chuckwheat Farm wrote:Use green manure...grow a plant that is loaded in nitrogen and turn it in. Peas are high in nitrogen so are other legume.
Get the catalog from Peaceful Valley. They sell seeds for green manure crops that you can grow quickly and turn in. And don't buy fertilizer by the bag if you go that route. See if you can get bulk rates and split it with someone else. Quantity discounts are available with seeds, feeds and fertilizer.
For those of you near a coast, use sea weed. That stuff is awesome.
You can learn alot on these forums. When I had chickens, I was wondering where all the eggs came from. Now thanks to Matt Smigelski I now know that eggs come from chickens. I thought everyone was just messing with my head.
Chris

Excellent point! Not only do green manure crops build soil, help prevent erosion, etc. but you get more seat time plowing it in!! :D Plus, if you use a fall/winter cover crop, it can be downright pretty; something green in an otherwise brown winter landscape.

Another good point--if you can buy a "bucketful" of bulk from a local farmer/neighbor or otherwise split the cost. That can allow you to get some different formulations if they are having something blended, other than plain ol' 10-10-10, etc. that might do a better job in the long run.

Al

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Wed Feb 04, 2009 7:46 am

Thanks for the green manure mention. I kind of take it for granted. I plant crimson clover and hairy vetch in the late fall.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:43 pm

Green manure plantings are ok, but too slow to be of much value without adding other stuff to it,---need LOTS of volume fast to make thick layer of good black dirt in 2 or 3 years! thanks; sonny

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1976 International Cub
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
NOS Planet Jr. planter

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Feb 04, 2009 12:59 pm

SONNY wrote:Green manure plantings are ok, but too slow to be of much value without adding other stuff to it,---need LOTS of volume fast to make thick layer of good black dirt in 2 or 3 years! thanks; sonny

I agree but they do add the nitrogen that plants like corn use up quickly.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”