This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Stainless steel screws are in....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Stainless steel screws are in....

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:55 am

Folks,

Just checked TM tractor supply's web site, and they have the stainless steel screws needed to replace the old ones for the gas tank, instrument cluster, and dog-legs alias the RH and LH radiator covers. I know some people have good hardware stores near them that carry the hardware, but in my area they are hard to find. Just wanted to pass this on.

Here's one: http://www.tm-tractor.com/sp/025.htm
Here's the other: http://www.tm-tractor.com/sp/1420_001.htm

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:28 pm

That answers a question I've had, but haven't taken the time to ask.

Stainless hardware is a better choice, eh?

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

IMHO...

Postby SundaySailor » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:40 pm

Matt,

In my past experience with sailboats, yes SS is much better. You may still get some rusting from the other parts, but stainless steel is stronger and lasts much longer. Plus, there really isn't that much difference price wise between stainless steel and the other stuff. If you're going to have to take it out anyway, why not spend a few quarters more and do yourself a great big favor? You can still mess up the heads on SS screws, but it is a bit harder than the other metal screws. Plus, they shine so much better and the shine lasts longer.

Rick :D :)
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:18 pm

SS,

Luckily my workplace carries a hugh assortment of St. St. screws, bolts and fastners and since I can buy them at shop cost I used them everywhere I could, like the fenders and dash and on the hood and doglegs. I even put them on the radiator bottom bolt holes to the bolster. The St. St. we stock is a grade 4, so it is plenty strong for everything I used it on, I'm thinking the originals were around a grade 5, just a tad bit stronger tencil strenght than the St. St, but the not having them rusting and getting frozen in the blind holes a real plus, especailly in the bolster to radiator mounting area. Plus I also used aintsize on the threads.

I left mine unpainted, (my own preference) I liked the contrast. With everything else being red, I thought this would look nice. the only thing we did not have was the NF acorn nut that holds on the steering wheel, we only had the NC acorn nuts, for this I will have to make me one from St. St. hex and polish it up.

John

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:42 pm

Guys:

That is one of the reasons I just love Canada. :D :D :D

We have something called a Robertson screw -- they come in all flavours from low root for decking, dry-wall, particle board right on up to machine screws and stainless steel screws for ALL applications.

YOU CANNOT MESS UP A ROBERTSON! At least not without trying real hard.

In the states they are called Square Drive..... why I don't know, maybe has something to do with being different - God only knows.... :roll:

And they look real sharp! No rough edges, no scratches from screwdrivers that slip from the slotted head all over a real nice NEW paint job :!: :!: :shock: :D

I think McMaster-Carr would carry them. If not, then my buddy Dana at Maritime Fasteners does and would be more than happy to ship em south of the border :!: :D

I will be using the SS Robertson machine screws for all exposed screws on Ellie - maybe even for the ones you cannot see. I too like the unpainted shiny SS look.
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Buzzard Wing
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 02840

Postby Buzzard Wing » Sun Nov 14, 2004 9:58 pm

When I started taking the cub apart I bought SS for everything (sheet metal first, of course) But I am not positive I will replace everything with stainless.... It is about 3 times the price, but I have a great hardware/lumber yard that has a good selection of SS hardware.
Recon most of it goes on boats, very few tractors in my neighborhood!
1971 Cub (Rufus) 1950 Cub (Cathy) 1965 Lo Boy Fast Hitch (Nameless III) 1970 Cub 1000 Loader & Fast Hitch (Lee)

Mike Schmudlach
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Mike Schmudlach » Sun Nov 14, 2004 11:27 pm

The best place for screws bolts etc.... is Fastenal. You can buy a box of 100 for the same price as a few at the hardware store.
I like original so I stay away from square drives etc.. but that is me.
I park my tractors inside so I don't worry about them rusting. :-)
Mike
30 + tractors including 2 French Super Cubs, French Cubs, 1963 Industrial Cub, 1955 Cub Highcrop etc...German and French built IH tractors and some bigger IH tractors. Of course I have about 20 IH trucks and an IH refridge in the Shop.

Return to “Farmall Cub”