This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Hunting stories

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08070
Tractors Owned: JD 4040
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Re: Hunting stories

Postby smigelski » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:28 pm

Now i have also noticed that the coyotes in VT some of them appear to be the size of a female german shepards. From the ones i have seen shot close up so I think there actually wolves. So i mentioned that to other hunters but really got no good answer why. If i mentioned about wolves they would laugh at me too. Soon after I read an article about the canadian wolves crossing the frozen water in upper new york state into the US from canada and there interbreeding with our coyotes making a larger wolf type coyote. Now thinking about them crossing into the US I thought why didn't anyone think about the mountainlions doing the same crossing into the US too?

not that this can't happen, But you will not see true wild dogs interbreed. A wolf will always kill a coyote, the same as a coyote will always kill a fox. You always hear of coydogs, which are wild domestic dogs mixed with coyotes. This happens very rare, as a coyote would kill a domestic dog. All canines depend on hunting to survive, so when a larger canine moves into an area, it wants to eliminate all smaller canines. I have caught fox while trapping and the coyote has gotten there before me. It is not a pretty site.
there are several different species of coyote, the eastern strain being the largest, with a male weighing around 65 pounds or more. Also note, that many state DNR's will deny. They have imported crossbreed coyotes. We had a coyote hit in my area a few years ago with a radio collar on it. State denied releaseing coyotes in the area, but came and retrieved this one rather quick. A animal group, collected a few bodies of coyotes in the area for DNA testing. The results came back as coyote and a wolf from northern Canada.
The state reintroduced wild turkeys about 15yrs ago, no hunting for about 8 yrs. Now they have hunting with special permit. But there are flocks of over 1000 turkeys. We also have an out of hand deer population. Magically a supersized coyote appeared. also there is no coyotes of this DNA in North Jersey. However the DNR states it is natural migration of the coyote.
So they bypassed North Jersey for south jersey.
State DNR's trade animals back and forth like we trade cub parts. So an animal that use to be in the area and is no longer there. Can show up overnight with no explanation other then natrual migration :lol:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:01 pm

For more info do a search for; "coyote and wolf interbreeding" lots of info you may not want to know but the truth is out there.

Here's some that will come up its interesting.

http://www.wildlifetech.com/pages/necoyote.htm

http://www.bigrunwolfranch.org/coyote.html

Like i said before the wolf/yote i seen was hanging off the rack on a honda quad and it was much longer than the width of the quad, it was bigger than any yote i have ever seen too. Its as big as a female german shepard.

One night while at my camp with my wife and my son with his girlfriend I left my son with his girlfriend at the campfire we built outside so they could play kissy, kissy and huggy, huggy while me and the wife got ready for bed inside. We were just about asleep when the kids came running inside. My son stated first they heard a yote run by the camp, then a second pair ran by, then a few more ran by as they were circling my camp when the fire got low. We were surrounded by yotes oh my. Its really gotten out of hand now with yotes. I don't see anymore deer tracks were once i had many like busy I95. When i did see deer tracks in the past they were followed by yote tracks in the snow. Now there are none just the yotes howling at night.

There getting more bolder too, my brother was in the privy one night(outhouse) and a yote was scratching on the door. You have to be armed to go to the privy now too.

Be careful when hiking anywere!!!!!
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:22 pm

Bill nice site, I find it neat how they had so many pictures of coyotes in traps, yet never actually showed the trap. Pretty good, since the tree huggers would be all over that. That is the eastern strain, since man has kept records on coyotes the eastern strain has always doubled the size, and the farther north you trap them, the more the hide is worth. We started seeing coyotes around here a few agos after they were reintroduced( state denies). We have ample food supply at this time so they are healthy and huge. Some areas where the food supply has fell short, they now eat household pets(even a german sheperd or pitbull gets eaten). They are not a good thing to have around in my opinion. They multiply like rats and eat everything else.
here is where the bigger problem lies. Man has decided it is fine to screw with nature and crossbreed Grey Wolves with the domestic dog or coyotes. Trying to make a better predator to control deer and turkey populations. This is not a natural sequence of events and would never happen in the wild. This intern starts a whole new species of animal that is larger in size then the normal coyote and more agressive, but smaller in size then a normal grey wolf. This species is ending up in populated areas and in the long run will be a threat to people and livestock.

Here are a few sites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_Wolf

these are cute little puppies, but we know what happened when they crossed lions and tigers. Nothing good. remember LIGER TOWN
http://www.pets4you.com/pages/wolfzone1.html

I also think every hunter should be a trapper.
1st - makes you a better resource manager
2nd - makes you a better hunter ( a good trapper can out hunt the best hunter)
3rd - it is up close and personal (anyone can shoot an animal 30yds away or more, try 8 inches)

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:58 pm

smigelski; I lived in Jersey as a kid back in the 50's to 1960 in Westwood near Paramus, my older brother would caddy at a Golf Course near Tappan or Old Tappan I can't remember. But i do remember him telling my dad about seeing blackbears back then. He stopped riding his bicycle to go to work there too, my dad started taking him. So you still had bears in Jersey back then too.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

smigelski
10+ Years
10+ Years
JD 301A
Ford 3910
Oliver 770
FCub 1947
Fcub 1952
Farmall 100

Postby smigelski » Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:15 pm

Paramus, I would consider north jersey. Bears did not show up east of Cherry Hill until 2001. between 2001 and 2007 they managed to travel all the way to Cape May. They must have rode the NJ Transit south. Magically the state also knows that every county has 2 breeding pairs. Division of Fish and Wildlife truck was also spotted pulling a bear tank trailer in the middle of the night. They stopped at a Sunoco for soda and snacks.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:34 pm

Sometimes i wonder if the wildlife people aren't interducing these back into the wildlife to balance it out. We now have mountainlions in just about every state. Just wait until you see a 190lb to 200lb mountainlion in the wilds like we have. Trust me its no kitty cat and this big predator wants to eat us, were on the menu. Were no longer on the top of the food chain so its not safe anymore. I'm sure we will see more yote attacks first before the mountainlion attacks. Be aware of the rabid animals too. When i'm hunting at my camp in VT and i'm alone i do watchout for ambush points were i don't have the 360 degree vision so i don't get blind sided by these big cats.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”