This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

setting timing on a super a

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mikeintn
10+ Years
10+ Years

setting timing on a super a

Postby mikeintn » Fri Feb 20, 2009 1:43 pm

I need to put dist. back in SA, the book talks about lining up marks on flywheel, I dont see any or anything to line them up with, I do see 3 on the front pulley I would guess the middle is TDC but dont see what to line them up with either, or which one to use. any help. Thanks: Mike
Mike

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: setting timing on a super a

Postby Jim Becker » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:37 pm

The marks are on the outside surface of the flywheel. Sometimes they are hard to see. When you find them, you may want to mark with some white paint. It is a line with:
D C
1 4
You are supposed to see it through the hand hole of the bell housing. The mark aligns with a rib that is either attached to or cast into the cover on the front/bottom of the bell housing. You may find it easier to locate the flywheel marks by removing the front/bottom cover. Once you have found/marked the flywheel marks, reinstall the cover to do the timing.

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:19 am

I had a hard time seeing the mark too on my Super C. At the risk of over simplifying.....stuck my finger in spark plug hole on #1. Whirled engine. When compression pushed on #1, noticed that the distributor drive,(back of gov.) was in about the 2 and 8'oclock position. (Like a cub). Mounted distributor with rotor pointed at #1 on distributor. Fired right up. Needed just a tweek of a turn of the distributor to set the timing to what sounded about right. Cranks right up so it must be close. Runs like a top, so I'm leaving it set where it is.

mikeintn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby mikeintn » Sun Feb 22, 2009 6:37 pm

Yap thats what I decided to do also. Thanks
Mike

RI Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02830