This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

VETERAN'S DAY Novemeber 11

Anything that might not belong on the other message boards!
John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

VETERAN'S DAY Novemeber 11

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Nov 10, 2004 8:38 pm

Hi forum,

I just wanted to take the time to personally say THANK-YOU to ALL of the present and past Veterans, that has proudly served this great nation of ours.

I also want to list this poem by Charles Province and the one that Rudi places on the closing of his emails. I have this in one of my books and I think it explains it all and puts everything in perspective.

It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who has given us freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, not the lawyer, who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves under the flag, and
whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag.

I think it's fitting for our countries, BOTH United States and my friends in Canada. I also sent this to poem to Donny's son Keith over in Fallujah Iraq.

Doesn't matter if you supported President Bush in last week's election or not. He is our elected Commander-n-Chief, Please pray for his good judgement and by ALL means keep our troops in your thoughts and prayers, home and far.

Don't forget to display our flag (if you don't already) in observance of our thanks on the day set aside for VETERAN'S DAY.

May God bless and THANK YOU VETERANS from the bottom of my heart. You have all done US well.

Proudly supporting our troops and veterans,

John Niekamp
Quincy, IL USA

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:34 pm

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:53 pm

I should have mentioned that I recieved this e-mail from Keith on November 6th:

Hey guys and gals,

Here in a.....actually I don't know when....but the email and phone
services will be going down....so I will not be able to send out or call
anybody for a undetermined period of time...I will be able to recieve your
emails though.

Keith

So don't hold it against him if you do not receive a reply 8)

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:31 pm

Thanks Donny,

I don't want to bombard these guys over there with any unnessary emails.

I know that I have a couple of friends over there also (not Fallujah) and they tell me that that enjoy getting a little something every once in a while. I really don't know how much on-line time they actually get, so I don't forward any pictures or attachments, usually only text.

I sent them this little poem too, they both, told me that they appreciated receiving it. Even though I don't know your son, Keith, I figured he might like getting it too, PLUS, I had to reply to his email to me about being me being the "Odd-Ball" from Illinois, supporting President Bush, LOL!

Cpl Sewell: "I was looking and you must be an odd ball in Illinois....?"

Well, We Illinoians, blamed our electoral votes going to Kerry on Cook County (Chicago-land)

We'll hopefully the downtime on the phone lines will be short lived. I can only guess how much it means to you and your family getting something from him from all the way over there. Just knowing he's doing OK, has put you mind at ease.

Maybe someday, we will all will be able to meet in person and have a cup of coffee or a beer, what ever suits your taste. What the Heck, I'll even buy !!!!!!

Take care,
John

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:41 pm

Shoot, we'll make Keith buy :lol: He'll have a fist full of money when he gets back. Nothing to spend it on over there. 8)

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:48 pm

Donny M wrote:Shoot, we'll make Keith buy :lol: He'll have a fist full of money when he gets back. Nothing to spend it on over there. 8)

Humm, there you go, OR maybe ole Dad another CUB, :lol: :lol: for all those years of GOOD responsible upbringing :!: :!:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Wed Nov 10, 2004 11:58 pm

Naw, I'll take care of myself. He can spend what he has earned on whatever he wants...well almost :lol: :lol: 8)

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Thu Nov 11, 2004 5:52 pm

Hi jniekamp,

Thanks for the poem. I am a Vietnam Vet and one of my duties was to
raise or lower the "AMERICAN" Flag everday in 1967-1968 at the MACV
Hq in Saigon. Yes I keep my flag flying everyday here at home just to
remind me or anyone else who sees it that at all times we have Americans
in harms way whether it be here or in some unpronuncable place.

I am in the process of writing a letter to the editor of our local paper in
which I give praise and thanks to our brave and "willing" americans who
put thier life out in front for us and at the same time I am admonishing
those very few complainers.

While I wish war could be forever banned from this planet and I sincerely
hope that all those in harms way could be safe and return to thier loved
ones I know this will not be the case. However, I am sick and tired of my tax dollars going to support those whiners who dishonor those like my dad and many of your dads who went so willingly to serve in WWII and Korea and Vietnam. You know everything was fine while they were stateside and going to the weekend games or to college and the bullets were not real.
But now it is different; it is not a game and the bullets are real and danger
lurks everywhere.

I personally feel that "E-V-E-R-Y" American who is physically and mentaly
able should serve this Great Nation for at least two years to instill within each the sacrifice that those who have gone before have given. I was and am greatly opposed to eliminating the draft. While getting some mis-fits by casting such a big net, I can't help but feel that this would be a much better use of our tax dollars than trying to house them in jail. I saw many
persons that were on the brink of disaster become good citizens and good
soldiers while in military service.

Ok I am off my soapbox now.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Thu Nov 11, 2004 6:47 pm

Well said Russ and I totally agree :!: Maybe if some of the whiners had to serve their country there would be a lot less whining. I too am a Vietnam era Vet. (I was never over there so I don't call myself a Vietnam Vet). We were just talking about this very subject today. I think it would make for better citizens if ALL had to serve.

My sons didn't become Marines because they didn't have other choices, they became Marines because the felt a since of duty. Wonder were they got that :?: :wink: 8)

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby John Niekamp » Thu Nov 11, 2004 7:28 pm

rleggitt,

No, "soap box" there, My sediments EXACTLY !!!

While growing up, I was able to spend a lot of time with my grandpa, he served in World War 2, with the Army's Air Core division over in the Pacific. The stories I heard from him was just unbeleivable.

Then my dad severed during Vietnam 1960-63, NOTHING P___es me off more than when I hear someone saying that Korea and Vietman was NOT wars, only "peace-actions" or "police-actions" BULL (BLANK) (BLANK)

EXCUSE ME, for my stupidity here, But if this isn't "WAR" what is?

The Vietman veterans, just got a RAW deal, back in the 60's and 70's, finially after all these years have gone by, they are FINIALLY getting the respect, they so much deserve. I have to feel for them, I'm 38 years old, and I can barely remember most of the events. BUT what sticks in my mind more than anything is seeing these soldiers come back home and watching the protesters, calling them names, throwing everything and buring the flag. I know we have ALL seen the archived footage from 30-40 years ago.

This still really bothers me especially now that I am older and have more knowledge of the war, then what I did when I was 6 or 7 years old.

I'm sitting here right now, while am getting ready to post this and am thinking. How many other countries across the world, where you can burn your countries flag and have the right to assemble and protest. While at the same time torment and harass those who have fought and gave their lives for that privilege?

Now, don't think just because I am relecting on the Vietman war, that it doesn't apply to any other war either, it's just that Vietnam has taken place in my life and I can actually remember some of these events.

Again, ALL Veterans of all WARS and conflicts,

MY sincere THANKS,

John

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Thu Nov 11, 2004 9:12 pm

Russ, Donny and John:

Was going to let this be but I gotta stick in my 2 cents worth here. I think you all know how I feel about Vets :!:

If it wasn't for our Vets, we would not be able to live in freedom, peace and prosperity as we do today. Hey, it ain't perfect, but it sure as hell ain't what my Dad grew up under in Germany during the 30's and 40's... but as far as I am concerned we live in the two greatest countries in the world.

Wether you were a WW1 or WW2, Korea, the Belgian Congo, the Cold War, Vietnam, Panama, Grenada, Bosnia, Gulf War 1, any war I have missed or the current conflict, we all owe our Vets a debt of thanks that can never be repaid.

I have been an advocate for Veterans Rights in Canada for over a decade, keep banging my head up against the wall and not getting very far, but I have also been an advocate for almost 30 years now of what is commonly refered to in Britain as National Service. I believe in my bones, that every citizen of Canada, and I would also say the US, should serve a minimum of 2 years National Service prior to going on to College or University. That 2 years would preferably be in the Military, but in Volunteer categories such as National Health, Peace Corps or other such organizations would also suffice.

Unfortunately, I do not think our politicians have the guts to institute this as it might be construed as a "modified draft" in the US, or as a "modified conscription" here in Canada. I think the Peaceniks would also have a field day. But then again as Charles Province so aptly stated, them Peaceniks wouldn't be able to be Peaceniks if it wasn't for soldiers :roll:

My nephew who is a Greek, served 3 years in the Greek Army as his National Service. My cousins served in the Bundeswehr for 2 years for their National Service. The Swiss demand that every citizen serve a minimum of 2 years and then a lifetime in the Militia/Reserves as part of their National Service. As an interesting note, when I got posted with the Navy to Germany back in 1983, I had to relinquish my dual citizenship rights so as not to be called up for my National Service term in the Bundeswehr or the KriegsMarine.... that would have been a fine kettle of fish now wouldn't it - be serving two military masters at the same time... :lol: :lol:

Russ, I really do agree with you comments. John you know how I feel. And Donny, YOU do know how I feel about Honour, Duty - for God and Country. And I DO KNOW where your boys get it from too! Dads do provide one heck of a role model for their sons, and you done great.

Be proud of your sons, I know Keith is a good un :!:

btw, I also fly my Nation's flag at my home. I am proud to be a Canadian and prouder to be a Canadian Vet.

Today, is also the one day that I make a point to Remember ALL of my fellow Canadian men and women who are serving in the US Forces in Iraq, Afghanistan and in many other theatres. I also remember my fellow comrades in arms who are currently serving in the Canadian Forces on active combat duty in Afghanistan and in Peacekeeping billets all over the world :!:

Happy Rememberance Day/Veteran's Day to all :!: :!: :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Return to “Off Topic”