This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Can chickens be housed with...

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Tractors Owned: 1 -'58 International Cub Lo-Boy
2 - '46 International A's
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A
1 - ‘41 Ford 9N with a ‘49 8N Engine
1 - ‘48 (5641) Allis Chalmers G

Can chickens be housed with...

Postby Lt.Mike » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:33 am

A couple of years back we had three domestic ducks for pets. They surprised me on how they came when called, followed us around and were very freindly if not quite comical. Well they were :( . This was before we got a fence up so after about two wonderful years one of my neighbors dogs killed them all in one night. We were heart broken.
Well we've got a good fence up now that works very well to keep the dogs out and I've since built a sizable henhouse that houses a dozen Rhoad Island Reds. I thinking about getting ducks again and am wondering if they can share the same henhouse at night? Theres lots of room as the chickens roost high leaving the 6 x 10' floor space free.
I've also been thinking about getting guinea fowl to handle the ticks out back. I figure once grown they can roam freely roosting wherever.
Any thoughts there?
Mike.
Quote by Gary Pickeral I like
"If it can cast a shadow, it can be restored"

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Circle of Safety: Y
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Re: Can chickens be housed with...

Postby Rudi » Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:11 pm

Mike:

I can't give a definitive answer but I can give an anecdotal answer.

Em and I have had 100 meat kings, 25 turkeys, 2 dozen ducks (4 species), 3 dozen RIR's, some Leghorns, couple dozen Silkies, a couple dozen Aricanna's in one hen house.. but multiple runs. Add to that some Chinese Pheasants, Ring Necked Pheasants (breeder stock) and and a couple we are not really sure what breed of chicken they were.. and everybody got along quite well. On one wall of the hen house we had our rabbit warrens as well along with runs for them.

With some good planning, separated coops within the large henhouse.. you can house a number of varieties. Sure simplifies the cleanup too :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:21 pm

i've seen them together,but if i were you i would make sure that they would have some protection from getting crapped on by the chickens roosting above,which could lead to other problems. :arrow: :idea: :wink:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Mon Feb 09, 2009 12:08 am

Thanks guys! Thats good news. I built eight nest boxes for the hens which they will use for laying but in the evening they all settle on the wooden shelf above the boxes roosting there for the night. The nest boxes hang on the back wall of the coop. 99% of the manure ends up on that shelf above the boxes which makes for simple cleanup in the morning. I work nights so getting home at 6:30am I open up the chicken door, feed and clean up. I use a 10" spackle knife to scrape the shelf clean dumping it into a bucket. When the buckets full its dumped into a compost bin that is in turn spread out over the garden in the spring. The clean, feed, and water takes me only about 10 minutes each morning.
The ducks would probably settle in the hay under the nest boxes so they wouldn't get bombed from above. :lol:
mike.

Phillip W. Lenke
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43449

Postby Phillip W. Lenke » Fri Feb 20, 2009 12:29 pm

Mike
I have raised both together will success
The main problem is the ducks water area, feather condition, need lots of water to clean up and oil good.
It will be a mess, which will cause housekeeping problems.
Around the water area I place river rock large enough that they cannot move them , also small enough to walk over .
This keeps them from working mud holes around the water, you will have to keep the water up the ducks will work it, until it is empty.
Chickens will get pretty thirsty.
{Phil
"Work Hard ,Play Often,Care Always"

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Fri Feb 20, 2009 3:04 pm

I would never ever house mixed fowl together. That is just plain dirty and nasty!!!! It is common knowledge not to put turkeys with chickens. Turkeys are really dirty and dumb animals without a clue to where to crap. They should be kept off the ground and away from chickens in a seperate house. Now with ducks and chickens...again they are completely different in the way they house themselves and what they need to clean and preen themselves. Get a book on animal husbandry or homesteading. Just my 2 cents and past experience reminding me again.

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:35 pm

Rudi wrote:With some good planning, separated coops within the large henhouse.. you can house a number of varieties. Sure simplifies the cleanup too :!:
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

CapeCodCubs
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02747
Tractors Owned: .
1948 F Cub Fast hitch
1949 F Cub
1950 F Cub Fast hitch
1965 Loboy Fast hitch
1966 Loboy with 1000 loader
1976 International Cub
several walk behind garden tractors
(20) FastHitch implements
tons' of cultivating and planting stuff
C-16 Cub Middlebuster
(2) A33 Cub bean harvester
NOS Planet Jr. planter
172 planter, large combo hopper, 101A fertilzer hopper
Cole 250# fertilizer hopper with chain drive.

Postby CapeCodCubs » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:29 pm

Rudi wrote:
Rudi wrote:With some good planning, separated coops within the large henhouse.. you can house a number of varieties. Sure simplifies the cleanup too :!:

Didn't mean to seem harsh about mixing birds. Sounds like Rudi has a nice set up. :)

RedBess
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby RedBess » Fri Mar 13, 2009 11:11 am

Thats right about ducks and water. They'll play and play, billing actually, until the water is run out of the waterer. When confined in the winter the duck's water was elevated on a screen over a catch pan that had to be emptied every couple of days. And for that they had to be kept separate, bringing the water twice a day to give them a chance to drink, but just enough for them to drink, not play. I found their smell to be more nauseating, they create bigger stinkier turds. Unconfined and allowed to roam in the summer was the better time to own them, they were friendly like my chickens, but different.
bust it? you bet I can!
53 w/ sicklebar mower, dirt & snow plows, potato harvester, potato hiller, 3 types of harrows, and a old fashion hayrack all in ellsworth maine

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower

Postby ToddW » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:27 pm

[quote=
I've also been thinking about getting guinea fowl to handle the ticks out back. I figure once grown they can roam freely roosting wherever.
Any thoughts there?
Mike.[/quote]

Guinea Fowl are great birds, and they are really good about staying in the area of your yard. I have friends that have some and they love them.

Lt.Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
2 - '52 Farmall Cubs
1 - '53 Farmall Super A

Postby Lt.Mike » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:55 am

Yeah I've kind of made up my mind about getting a few guinea fowl when it warms up some. I'll probably get them from the McMurray hatchery.
Mike.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”