This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

'48 Cub Project: Freshly ground crankshaft pic

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
F-I-T
10+ Years
10+ Years

'48 Cub Project: Freshly ground crankshaft pic

Postby F-I-T » Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:47 am

Here's the freshly ground crank. Everything cleaned fine at .010", so I need to order bearings this week.

Question today is how do you all measure wrist pin bushings? There's not a lot of side ways wiggle, nor twist. My test always has been that a new oiled pin will drop itself through, but dry it should not. On these, a new oiled pin drops through pretty easily, but I also know it's a realtively slow turning engine, so...

Does anyone have a fesh part number for those bushings? I will likely replace them. I generally hem and haw and then go ahead and spend the money. :lol:

Frank-in-Tallahassee
'56 JD 70D // '90 JD 855 // '50 Case VAC // '48 IHC Cub "Boo-Boo" // '41 JD "H"
http://www.fboerger.com
F-I-T's webpage.....ALWAYS under construction !!!

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:03 pm

If you buy piston kits/rebuld kit, the pin and bushings should be included. At least they were with the last couple of rebuild kits I bought. I would not leave anything to chance...replace them. My moto has been:

YOU DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME OR, YOU DO IT OVER :!:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

F-I-T
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby F-I-T » Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:47 pm

Wow! I must have purchased at least 3 dozen full overhaul kits over the years for IHC's, Case, Fords, and Deeres, even more of you count cars, and I never got wrist pin bushings in the kit. They were only ever available separately. I have the new pistons, pins, and rings here that I bought with the bored block, and it did not include bushings.

Looks like I'll need a part number and a source. I see 251 247 R1 in the parts book. Is that correct?
Frank-in-Tallahassee

Ron
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Ron » Sat Nov 13, 2004 1:23 pm

When I did my overhaul a few months ago, the bushings did not come with the piston/overhaul kit.

WhenI had the crank turned the guy at the machine shop inserted the risk pin into the rod and piston and checked for excessive play.

There was enough that he said I needed new bushings.
He was able to get these for me without any problem.

Ron
1951 Farmall Cub

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:33 pm

"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

F-I-T
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby F-I-T » Sat Nov 13, 2004 4:46 pm

I put a new pin a rod, and measured with my dial indiactor at the point of the most deflection there was about .003" rocking clearance. This would probably equate to around .0015", which is greater than the .0007" of the spec., so I'll have bushings installed and honed.

I ordered a set of bushings from Trusty Tractor when I ordered my .010" bearings today.
Frank-in-Tallahassee

TBAR
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TBAR » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:15 am

F-I-T, Did you have any end play in your crank shaft? I had to have mine built up and then turned.

TBAR
IH2444 & 1949 Farmall Cub

F-I-T
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby F-I-T » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:15 am

TBar:

Well, I have to cross my fingers a bit here. The crank did not exhibit any end play, but I"ll really know until I have a chance to install it. Who knows, I may have to go back on the fresh crank and have it repaired. I wish there was a way to adjust the center main.
Frank-in-Tallahassee

Return to “Farmall Cub”