This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Governor Problems - still

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Slappy
10+ Years
10+ Years

Governor Problems - still

Postby Slappy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:20 am

I took the governor off the Cub this weekend so I could repair the spring leavers (I'll let you know how that goes). The upper leaver was worn enough to look like two holes were drilled in it. Now that the unit is off I've new problems to deal with (isn't that the way it always works?).

Parts that look good include the weights and pins, and although it has some minor pitting, the shaft seems fine. The thrust ball bearing probably needs to be replaced. Some of the ball bearings are scored and both races show some pitting. I think the thrust bearing is OK, but I may relpace it anyway if it's not too expensive. The bushings also seem fine.

So here's where I run out of answers.

1 - inside the casting was a broken gasket (?) that fit around the shaft somewhere (looked like a washer made out of thin gasket material), but I don't see it listed in the exploded view. Any ideas?

2 - Endplay of the shaft should be 0.004 to 0.013 - but I have a bit over 1/32 of an inch! I can't see from the diagram how to take that up. The governor base bushing has a roll pin in it. so I can't push the weight carrier further down the shaft to make up the difference. How is this corrected? Any connection to the unexplained gasket?

3 - I'm pretty sure that the distributor gear seal was in backwards. I'm not entirely sure what the "lip" of the seal is. The old seal has two ridges, one has a little larger diameter than the other. I'm thinking that the wide ridge is pointed back toward the governor so that the bevel on the distributor drive end meets both ridges. Is this correct?

4 - what else should I be looking for while I'm this far into it?

Once again, thanks for all your help.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 15, 2004 9:27 am

I can only help with the seal. It goes with the open side toward the engine. When you reinstall it pay attention to the depth setting in the service manual. If you seat it to deep it will wear on the governoer and damage the seal.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”