This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Old Smokey

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mmann
10+ Years
10+ Years

Old Smokey

Postby mmann » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:14 am

I was able to take a few minutes away from deer hunting to pull some maintenance on my Cub, last Saturday.

I changed the coolant, and when I drained it, at the very last of the fluid there was brown mud/slim that came out. I have never seen anything like it before. :?: There wasn't much, maybe a pint. What was it? :?:

Also, after finishing, I started it and it SMOKED BROWN for a few seconds :evil: It always smokes white/blue whenever it is first started, then quits smoking. But brown? :?

It settled down quickly and we drove it around to warm it up good and it ran fine as usual. Explanations?

Thanks!
There is no substitue for good marksmanship.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:23 am

The mud / slime is minerals and dirt that have settled out of your coolant. The thermosyphon system does not circulate the heavier particles like a system with a water pump. They just settle to the bottom. Be sure to flush the system any time you change fluids.

As far as the brown smoke goes, I haven't got a clue.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:21 am

Bigdog wrote:As far as the brown smoke goes, I haven't got a clue.

Probably from the new coolant. (Gave her an upset stomach and diarrhea :lol: )

BD. I thought you would jump all over that................

Seriously, if it wasn't started in a while, could be dirty stuff in combustion chamber or exhaust. Especially if it went away after warming up.
Ron

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:27 am

Well, I was gonna..... but I'm trying to be good. :? But I think you're right especially if the original puff of white / blue smoke is coming from a very slight coolant leak that seals after warm-up.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Tue Nov 16, 2004 10:47 am

Bigdog wrote:Well, I was gonna..... but I'm trying to be good. :? But I think you're right especially if the original puff of white / blue smoke is coming from a very slight coolant leak that seals after warm-up.

Now thats exactly what I were`a thinkin that if it has the white/blue smoke on every cold start it has to have a coolent leak. White smoke = bad head-gasket or "OMG" a crack in block. :cry:
Then came Bronson

Return to “Farmall Cub”