This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

How to check generator output?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
brian c
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38632
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub

How to check generator output?

Postby brian c » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi fellas. It's been a while since I've been on here. It's good to see that the board is growing and doing so well.

I need to pick your brains on an electrical problem. My cub is a 1957 model. I've got the standard 6v positive ground system. I restored it (with lots of help) a couple of years ago. I had the generator overhauled and installed a new wiring harness and voltage regulator. About half way through the first season it stopped charging reliably (became intermittent). It seemed that sometimes a little "whack" to the voltage regulator would make it start charging again. At the beginning of last year, I bought another regulator - thinking maybe I just got a bum one. It worked for a while but now does the same thing.

I doubt that two regulators would be bad. So now I'm thinking maybe generator. I took the generator off yesterday. I cleaned the contact points between the gen frame and the tractor so that the ground would be good. I also took some light grit sandpaper to the armature. After putting it back on (and polarizing) still no charge. How can I isolate the generator and check its output? The manual has some info, but I don't have any test equipment other than a digital multimeter.

The ammeter works correctly, and I've verified that the system is indeed not charging. The voltage across the battery is no different when the tractor is running or dead, and the tractor dies immediately when I disconnect the battery.

I appreciate any and all help.

Thanks,
Brian

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Re: How to check generator output?

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:46 pm

There have been several discussions in the recent past concerning the poor quality of the lower priced voltage regulators. Here is a trouble shooting flow chart, courtesy of FarmallBob

If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:44 am

If you ground the generator F terminal the regulator circuit is bypassed and the generator will go to full output. If it does not, you have a problem in the regulator circuit. As John said, there are a lot of failures with the cheaper regulators. Spend the money for a good one.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

dakcub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93313

Postby dakcub » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:33 am

That is an awesome flow chart....don't get any easier than that......oh wait....Unless someone else fixes it for ya while you watch.
Robert (likes time change but tired) Miller

brian c
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 38632
Tractors Owned: 1957 Farmall Cub

Postby brian c » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:10 pm

Thanks John and Bigdog. I knew y'all would come through. That flow chart was exactly what I needed. Turns out I had a bad ground. It took me a while to isolate it, but it was between the mounting plate for the regulator and the engine block. I had brightened up the metal around the holes in the plate, but apparently the rest of the paint was stopping the metal from touching, and the bolts must have been right through the center of the holes and not touching the sides. I made a thin little washer out of some .020 aluminum I had, and that fixed it right up. It even charges with the lights on now ( at least on low, on high it's a very small discharge).

Thanks again. I hope everbody is doing well. It's time to change the oil and get it ready for mowing season!

ToddW
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 54911
Tractors Owned: -
1951 F-Cub
1960 Yellow Loboy
Despeeder, FH Rototiller, / FH York Rake, FH plow, 152 Disk plow, Woods brush mower, Wagner Loader, Grader Blades, 23-A Disc Harrow. Spike tooth harrow
FORD JUBILEE with Sherman 12-speed
1953 Ford F-100 Jubilee
Cadet 108 with mower and snow thrower -Cadet 1650 with deck and thrower
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby ToddW » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:13 am

Bigdog is right about bad regulators, the first 2 I bought were bad out of the box. The more expensive MADE in USA one works great

Return to “Farmall Cub”