This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

oil breather

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
bjgravley
10+ Years
10+ Years

oil breather

Postby bjgravley » Wed Nov 17, 2004 10:31 pm

does anyone want to walk me through cleaning the air breather, the bolts look hard to get to even with the hood off thanks

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Harold R » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:20 pm

Are you taking it off the tractor for cleaning and repainting, or just servicing it? If removing it, I found it easiest to remove the cooling fan and shroud. Then you have room to get a wrench in there. I use a ratchet end wrench.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Wed Nov 17, 2004 11:31 pm

You can remove the bail from the bottom and clean and refill with oil. Click here for the Cub owners manual. I think it shows how to service. I have not tried taking the whole thing off with the hood on. Hood and tank come off easy if tank is near empty. Unless you don't want to scratch up a recent paint job.
http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Cub%20Owner's%20Manuals/index.html
Young man for work, old man for advice

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Cleaning the Air Cleaner

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:05 am

Every time I purchase a new old tractor I remove the entire air cleaner and clean it. You might be surprised at the amount of crub accumulated.

Any way. Pull the entire air cleaner from the tractor. You can clean the cup in the parts washer or rinse out with kerosene. Put the cap and body in solvent (kerosene) for several days. Jiggle up and down every so often. This should remove most built up crud.

After soaking for several days I put the body in the parts washer and run solvent through it for some time - until it the solvent comes out clean.

You can take the body apart - usually isn't necesary.

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Thu Nov 18, 2004 1:11 am

If you take the whole thing off clean the breather tube going into the block along with all the fittings and the oil filler breather. And while you have the hood off lube the fan. I think that info is in the owner's manual also. Also a good time to change the v belts and oil the generator. Don't break the ears where you loosen the fan belt.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051

Breather Tube

Postby Eugene » Thu Nov 18, 2004 2:01 am

I see from Jim's post that he is also up late at night. I had forgotten to mention the breather tube - ref Jim's post.

When I cleaned the air cleaner and breather tube on my Cub I found that the brass fittings were plugged. There is a small hole in each brass fitting. I also found that hole where the brass fitting enters the block was plugged / covered over in crub.

Dave in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Dave in Md » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:29 pm

How does the air intake stack seperate from the air cleaner canister so you can get the hood off? That domed top seems to big to fit thru the hole in the hood, no matter how much grease you use.

Dave (69 lo-boy)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 23047

Postby Dave (69 lo-boy) » Mon Nov 22, 2004 12:47 pm

It just slips off, just twist while pulling up on it.

Return to “Farmall Cub”