This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

No Start

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

No Start

Postby Soldner » Sun Nov 21, 2004 9:52 pm

I have a '49 Cub, with the electric start, and i just get nothing when i hook up the starter switch with a battery charger or a battery, should i start with replacing the starter switch and than see or is there some small thing, i'm missing?! Thanks everyone.

Soldner :D

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:09 pm

How about a little more info? Does the starter switch lever push the spring button down. Have you taken the switch off to check it out? Could be the copper contact is turned 90 degrees. Could be a few things 8)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:12 pm

Start with the basics. First disconnect and clean all battery cable connections including the ground cable. Both ends of all cables. When you say you connected a battery charger, I hope you mean a heavy duty starter / charger. A standard 6 - 10 amp charger will not supply enough current to operate a starter. Verify that the battery is good and fully charged. The starter could also be jammed, not allowing it to turn. The starter switch could be bad as you mentioned. Also try hooking up a known good battery using good jumper cables rather than the tractor's battery cables. Ground the positive post to the tractor frame and connect the negative terminal right on the terminal bolt of the starter switch and see if that works. If it doesn't crank over then, you have ruled out everything but the switch and starter motor.
Try these things and get back to us and we will be able to help more.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Soldner
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Soldner » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:20 pm

Okay, i wont be able to get to the Cub until Friday, and i will try both a brand new battery, and jumper cables! I haven't taken the switch off because the screws are rusted into the starter case. Thanks for everything. I'll keep you posted

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Nov 21, 2004 10:25 pm

Another thing to check. Can you turn it with a crank? starter may be locked against flywheel teeth. Had that happen to mine not to long ago (unloading at Cubarama), and felt like an idiot when I relaized what had happened. I was raised on old Farmalls that had that trouble and should have realized the problem sooner.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Return to “Farmall Cub”