This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Estimating the C60 engine rebuild costs

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Estimating the C60 engine rebuild costs

Postby BigBill » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:53 am

I'm trying to figure out what my rebuilding costs will be;

New rings, new bearings, gaskets, seals, oil pump parts ect. Total $390.00

I can hone the cylinders and grind the valves. If my pistons and the boes are ok its under $400.

Sorry i left out the complete tune up and carb kit. But for just under $500 isn't too bad for a rebuilt engine.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Re: Estimating the C60 engine rebuild costs

Postby Jersey_cub » Mon Mar 30, 2009 3:22 pm

BigBill wrote:I'm trying to figure out what my rebuilding costs will be;

New rings, new bearings, gaskets, seals, oil pump parts ect. Total $390.00

I can hone the cylinders and grind the valves. If my pistons and the boes are ok its under $400.

Sorry i left out the complete tune up and carb kit. But for just under $500 isn't too bad for a rebuilt engine.

That sounds like a good deal to me, your putting in the sweet equity and coming out with a like new engine. If you have a sound block and the cylinders can be honed without to much trouble that's half the battle. Hows the crank? Does it mike to speck? That and the piston rods would be my main concern. If all the main parts are in good shape then that's a wrap.
Good luck with the engine rebuild and lets see some photos.

This fall I'm pulling my engine out of the 154 that we rebuilt the back end in and rebuilding it, so I'm interested in how you make out with your C60.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Mon Mar 30, 2009 6:05 pm

I figured the new crank bearings in already but i have 3 cranks to mic yet. Its only $50 thats $10 per journal to grind the crank undersize if i have to grind. I have a std size set of dome pistons with rods sitting here. I have that option too if the bores are std size.

I didn't figure in cutting the head to clean it ( about .010") nor decking the block to clean it either(.010"). I'll check it with a straight edge first (starret).

Right now the engine turns over but i haven't started it up. I was just going to pull it out but maybe i should hear it run anyway so i'm sure what i'm rebuilding. (no funny noises or knocks)

This tractor is getting an FEL so i won't pull an egine out later working around the FEL I just flat out refuse to do it later so i would like to rebuild it first. I'm looking at my options and maybe what the lowest and maximum cost could be. But we never know until we open it up and see what it looks like inside.

If the block and bores are ok even with turning the crank i'm looking at around $500 with the max being up to $1,000 or a little under. I'd rather do it right than do it cheap. I just like hearing it purr after its done right.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:37 pm

I have to go and clean off the bottoms of my shoes, i must have stepped in something somewhere.... :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}: :{_}:

When i purchased this tractor the distributor was out and the drive pin in the gear is mia. The engine turns over pretty tight. It felt that good. My son removed the sheetmetal on the tractor and pulled the head off the engine today. The pistons were decarboned and a new head gasket was installed. A closer look i have the domed pistons already in the engine with great looking bores with no ridge at the top of the cylinder at all. So far it looks like a gasket set, with new rings and bearings. I'll clean up the valves and lap them too. The next step is to pull the engine and look at the crank. The oil looks like it was just cheaned too its squeeky clean. This tractor appears to have been sitting a long time too. I went by my gut feeling when i purchased it and got lucky again.... I have to order a ball hone now to deglaze the cylinders. BB

als
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 55325
Tractors Owned: IH Lo-boy 185, 3 point, fel. 2x Bolens QT-16, 3 point

Postby als » Sat May 05, 2018 9:46 am

My c60 cost by professional shop was $565 + my parts. Gasket set rings and rod bearings approximately $300. Give or take. I ended up with extra seals and some gaskets (wich I call sell) so I’m looking at around $800. For the rebuild.
Head and block planed (head was warped .015!) honed, washed,valves and seats ground. Short block reassembled.
I didn’t think that was to bad. :)
If you want something to change you must change something.

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 22650

Postby mozer71 » Sat May 05, 2018 11:26 pm

My first two cars were flat heads. It has been a long time but
Great that you have invested in doing it right.

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby mozer71 » Mon May 07, 2018 12:07 am

Really these are great engines and they just don't make them anymore. Old tech sure bologna. They have a pedigree of near a century. Somebody cared for them and patted their tractor after long hard work. In that tractor was the C60. Certain things are different. We must be wary of the fuel and also maintain the proper antifreeze. These are not huge tractors, as tractors go but by golly, you can still move them by hand. You can turn the rear wheels and move the whole thing up an incline, into the garage. You just cant do that with heavier tractors.
There is a certain spot which has been fulfilled for at least..heck you know, why say it.

Fordman
5+ Years
5+ Years
Zip Code: 40071
Tractors Owned: 1952 Farmall cub
1966 Ford 3000
1975 international 140
1958 Farmall cub with fast hitch
1978 International 184

Postby Fordman » Tue May 15, 2018 6:41 pm

I just had mine rebuilt. Had to go .040 over on cylinders, .010 under on mains and rods, had to remove 2 head bolts, new valves and seats, block dipped, and decked. With supplying the rebuild kit, labor was $600. Didn't think that was too bad at all

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 am

Als wrote:My c60 cost by professional shop was $565 + my parts. Gasket set rings and rod bearings approximately $300. Give or take. I ended up with extra seals and some gaskets (wich I call sell) so I’m looking at around $800. For the rebuild.
Head and block planed (head was warped .015!) honed, washed,valves and seats ground. Short block reassembled.
I didn’t think that was to bad. :)

That doesn't sound too bad.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

AL Farmall Boy
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 35630
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby AL Farmall Boy » Wed May 16, 2018 8:49 am

Fordman wrote:I just had mine rebuilt. Had to go .040 over on cylinders, .010 under on mains and rods, had to remove 2 head bolts, new valves and seats, block dipped, and decked. With supplying the rebuild kit, labor was $600. Didn't think that was too bad at all

Not bad.
Regards,
Chase
205-368-5339
ihfarmallrtr@gmail.com

:tractor: Follow my page "Alabama Tractor Pickers" on YouTube & Facebook! :tractor:

mozer71
5+ Years
5+ Years

Postby mozer71 » Sun May 20, 2018 3:38 am

I will be facing that someday and have to make a decision. Decades of decisions and Lo Boys going cheap. Lo Boys going expensive too. Who is lasting to tell us how great they were? They were replaced by larger tractors. Okay they sucked in comparison but which mowed all those years before that. Dang for a few acres, a much better mower tractor. I harmed a few smaller because they just can't take it.

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”