This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's the secret to growing onions?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
NoSnooz
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 49331

What's the secret to growing onions?

Postby NoSnooz » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:59 am

Everything I've ever read about growing onions said they're easy. Every time I've tried to, I've failed - I can't even grow them from sets!
The first time I planted sets a few years ago, they would grow scallions but wouldn't develop bulbs. This year, I've started some from seeds in a flat and they're not growing too big either. A couple of weeks ago, I put some sets in the ground and they're not taking off either. Should I give up or what?
'48 Farmall Cub

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Re: What's the secret to growing onions?

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:32 pm

After the sets get established, keep the dirt around them loose. This will help them spread out. As the bulbs develope, start pulling dirt away from them. It won't hurt if half the bulb is above ground. But keep the soil loose. Tight soil will restrict the ability of the bulb to spread out. And fertilize well. This is what I do.

Billy

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bill Hudson » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:41 pm

Try these two factsheets for information on growing onions. Do not forget the importance of soil pH and fertility.

http://www.extension.umn.edu/yardandgar ... onion.html

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1616.html

Good luck.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby tnestell » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:27 am

I had luck starting onions from seed in January under a florescent light for 18 hours a day. Kept the tops cut to about 4" till planting. I'm not a great gardner like my neighbor, these turned out nice, but took a lot of trouble.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”