This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

All That Buzzes Ain't Bees

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

All That Buzzes Ain't Bees

Postby Donny M » Sat Nov 27, 2004 1:33 pm

Brent Duxbury e-mailed these pictures of his Buzz Saw. Judging form the size of the wood pile it cuts pretty good.

Hey Brent, that's a funny place for a s/n tag :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:08 pm

Hey Donnie,

What is the trick to post pics directly the board rather than links to them?

I am currently using http://www.picturetrail.com
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:27 pm

Bud - take the picture url and post it inside the [img] commands rather than the [url] commands
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sat Nov 27, 2004 2:52 pm

Donny,

Thanks for posting the pictures. I'm going to fool around with picturetrail today. Weather is getting bad fast here so not much I can do outside. Went to a show last month. I guess I forgot to take the parade # off. I wish that was the serial # on my Cub!
Always try the easiest thing first.

John Niekamp
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
eBay ID: jniekamp66

Postby John Niekamp » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:09 pm

Cub-bud

I am rather impressed with picturetrail, I just registered last night with them and downloaded their uploading software too. I linked one of my pictures last night and posted it in "way,way, way off topic" just to try them out. They will give you the IMG link to if you click on the left hand side of the screen and it's all past and copy from there. IT HAS TO BE EASY IF I CAN DO IT!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm so happy with picturetrail that I am going to go ahead and give them the 20 bucks for the 50 megs of storage.

Brent D. wanted to comment on your buzz saw rig too. That's reminds me of a unit that my grandpa once had on an 1931 Buick, it ran off the rear wheel. I don't know why he never used one of his tractors, but that was my grandpa. He liked being different. The only difference was, gramps was mounted stationary to the rear of the frame and he would just drive the car (rear part of the body was cut off) to where ever he wanted to be and jack up the rear wheel and and put on the belt and go.

Thanks Donny for posting these for him.

John Niekamp

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:12 pm

I BET THIS WILL BUZZ :shock: :!: :!:

I sure wish I had one. I saw one at a farm machinery show in Louisville, KY back in the late 70's. It had a tv and frig in it. 8)

"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 47421
eBay ID: gotowin
Tractors Owned: 55 cub,
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:23 pm

This is very similiar to the saw set-up that my Dad had for the 1955 cub that I now have, except the saw was mounted on the fast hitch carry all. This allowed for easy relocating from one pole pile to the next. Wish I could find some pictures to share with everyone.
There was one drawback to running the saw with the flat belt and the larger flat pulley on the PTO as I am sure Brent has also noticed if he has used this set-up much at all. The larger pulley on the PTO (9" I believe) turning the smaller pulley on the saw mandrell made it neccessary to run the tractor engine RPMs at a considerable slower rate then would have been desirable. This was neccessary to keep from overspeeding the 30" saw blade.
The end result:------ After extended use, and lugging the engine to very low RPMs, which also resulted in very low oil pressures as large pieces of hickory, oak, elm, etc. were feed into the saw, the hammering action of the pistons/rods as they continued to work at keeping the crankshaft turning, coupled with the low oil pressures literally destroyed the upper half of the rob bearings. :cry:
:idea: Brent, if you are reading, I firmly believe this set-up would be much more efficent if you could locate the small pulley (6" I believe) for the PTO, or possibly run through a dual belt set-up using a jackshaft with different size pulleys at the saw frame. Looks as though you may have a jackshaft on the saw now. This would allow the cub engine RPMs to run up higher and closer to the power curve, while still maintaining a safe saw blade speed. :D
:) Dan Robertson :)

:oops: We all make mistakes :oops:
I try to keep mine to a minimum

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:53 pm

Bud,

That tractor don't buzz it growls :!: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Plus it has your name on it :lol: 8)

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brent » Sun Nov 28, 2004 6:49 pm

Dan,

:( Since I had Donny post the pictures I hooked up the flywheel on the saw with the short belt. Once I got the saw up to speed with the flywheel hooked up I could idle the Cub almost all the way down and it went through an eight inch log without bogging down, actually sounded as if it was maintaining a constant RPM. Do you think I may have the same problem hooked up that way? Sure don't want to wreck the motor. I'll watch the oil pressure next time and see how it does. Now I've got myself confused. If I went to a smaller pulley on the PTO wouldn't the saw turn faster making it necessary to idle back even more? Was never a whiz in mechanical physics!

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Sun Nov 28, 2004 10:11 pm

Brent, you are on the right track. The heavy flywheel on the jackshaft is contributing to the torgue of the cub engine at the lower RPMs. So long as you have at least minimum oil pressure and are not lugging the engine down to one or two hundred RPMs as the saw penetrates a heavy thick log you may be okay.
The smaller pulley at the PTO would result in less belt feet travel per engine RPM. This translates to slower mandrell RPM at the saw. There-by allowing for increased engine RPMs while still maintaining a safe saw blade speed/RPM.
The smaller flat pulleys for the cub PTO are rather hard to come by, as I have only seen one or two.
If you could find a larger pulley (9") to install on the jackshaft, and belt the tractor PTO to this larger pulley, then belt the jackshaft to the saw mandrell using the like-size pulleys, you could accomplish the same desirable result.
:wink: For what it's worth, the cub cordwood saw that mounts directly to the tractor over the PTO turns at engine RPM, whereas the 9" PTO flat pulley turning the 4 1/2" (guess) pulley on a saw mandrell means the saw RPM is twice the engine RPM.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Brent » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:39 am

Dan,

Thanks
Believe it or not I think I understand now. I can probably find a 9" pulley for the jackshaft/flywheel shaft. If I do that, can I still leave the flywheel on the shaft or should I remove it?

Dan Robertson
10+ Years
10+ Years
74 cub,
Cub Cadet 1515,
Case 580B TLB,
53 Ford Jubilee,
MF 271XE,
JD 3130,
JD gater

Postby Dan Robertson » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:52 am

It could be left on the jackshaft as it would only help power the saw blade through those extra tough knots in the firewood. With the Cub transmitting power to the newly installed larger pulley on the jackshaft it would be easier to start the saw in motion then the way you have it presently.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:11 am

Like Dan, I would reccomnend leaving the flywheel in place. I suspect the setup was originally intended for use with a single cylinder, and the flywheel helped maintain a more uniform speed when encountering rough going, but it won't hurt leaving it on and will provide the same benefit with the cub
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

danovercash
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28081

Postby danovercash » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:16 am

Wish I had a picture (easier than a thousand words!) of the saw we had on the old cub. It was orange so it must have been a Woods product. Originaly made for a super C, it was cut down to fit the cub. It used channel for the rails and the metal wheels on the table ran in the channel. the left rail bolted to the torque tube with a brace and the right side was fastened to the axle with a u-bolt. Two angle braces went down to the final drives. Seems like it had a 5 or 6 inch pulley on the jackshaft. Don't remember what throttle setting we used, 1/2 or 3/4 I think.
"I'd rather be a mechanic in the shop"- Henry Ford

252646 & 221525. 195897 (Gone, but not forgotten)

Return to “Farmall Cub”