This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tell me I am making the right choice.

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
grunt
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 51557
eBay ID: spec [77]
Tractors Owned: 52 cub
40ish Farmall M with JD bucket

Tell me I am making the right choice.

Postby grunt » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:52 pm

late last year we picked up two boxer pups both male. They have grown up to be beautiful dogs. They are pure blood but we lost the paper work to get them registered in a fire. I don't have time to breed them and we really did not think about doing that when we bought them in the first place. The two boys play with each other and keep each other pretty busy they don't fight unless there is some thing to fight over or if one gets jealous of the other one. They are out door dogs with a dog door into the barn and have a nice home in there to keep them self's warm.
The issue is that last time I fed them I went back in to the barn to get more food for the other bowl (one eats in the barn and the other one eats in the run) and they got in to a pretty big fight over the bowl with food in it. Both of them drew some good blood but nothing of any real concern took them to the vet that day just out of conwinsadence for there front line and check up and he and my wife recommend that I age them fixed.
My wife who never grew up around dogs and is not used to dog personalities has been saying we should get them fixed for a while.
With this last fight I caved in and agreed. The vet said that getting them fixed will take the edge off of some of there bad behaviors and aggression towards each other.. What do you think??

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Re: Tell me I am making the right choice.

Postby Chris Todd » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:32 pm

My vote...Absolutely! If you want a couple of good sibling male farm dogs and no plans to breed, I'd get to snippin. If not I expect those fights will get to a point where one might run the other off, or worse. The bill you pay now will will pale in comparison to what you might pay in the future. They'll also start runnin the ladies pretty soon. You remember don't you Grunt? :wink: Better chance of getting hit, lost, or shot at (you or them) :shock: by the neighbors. :)
Also if you have any kids around and those 2 get stirred up and "boxing", it just wouldn't be worth it to me. Dogs can get set off by crazy things sometimes and those 2 could do a bit of damage if they got each other going. Of course I've pretty much always erred on the side of caution, and most times glad I did.
Male hormones can make the boys do crazy things!! :lol:
Chris Todd
55 Cub (Red), 47 Cub #2752 (Roosevelt), 61 CCO

grunt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby grunt » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Thanks this is comforting. Hey have we met... Your comments just seem like we have :lol: :lol: Thanks again.

Chris Todd
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 43701
Tractors Owned: 1955 Farmall Cub
1947 Farmall Circle Cub
1973 Int. 474

Postby Chris Todd » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:41 pm

LOL....Is that a dog joke? SNIFF,SNIFF :lol: :lol: :lol: And by the way....
My wife who never grew up around dogs and is not used to dog personalities has been saying we should get them fixed for a while.
....better tell her if you gettem fixed that it won't be for a while. :shock: :) Snip Snip!
Chris Todd
55 Cub (Red), 47 Cub #2752 (Roosevelt), 61 CCO

rickguns
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 62301
Tractors Owned: 1952 Cub "Baby Cub"
Ford 3000
Kubota MX 5100

Postby rickguns » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:04 pm

It's the right thing to do if your'e not going to use them for breeding. (obviously) It will improve their temperment and help prevent some health issues as they age.

grunt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby grunt » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:32 am

I did not know if the age thing was hersay.. Thanks for your support. I feel better about this.

Scott
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 02769
eBay ID: scottdarowski
Tractors Owned: 48 Cub
55 Cub
62 CCO
63 CCO
70 JD 112

Postby Scott » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:09 pm

my shepherd just turned 8 months and we had him snipped on monday. the vet said they do they as early as 4 months.
Image On To Bigger Things

grumpy
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 15522
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby grumpy » Sat Apr 04, 2009 9:46 pm

Calmed me down for sure :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
David Dee Mock-Leonard

Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool.

Some days it's not worth chewing through the restraints

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Sun Apr 05, 2009 10:59 am

grump, i agree on the part about getting them snipped to protect them from the courses of nature,because they would be hunting her soon. i'm not quite sure about changing their disposition unless you get at them very soon. they forgot to explain that to my little bi polar friend jack cause he is very fixed and still very aggressive. i think if your doing it for their temperment then don't put it off. just my .02 :wink:
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Corky's Cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 30607
Tractors Owned: Just One:
1957 Farmall Cub
"Corky"s Cub"

Postby Corky's Cub » Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:53 pm

Grunt,

Growing up, I always heard that neutering male dogs will only affect their disposition if it is done within the first year, or well before they have reached full adulthood (around 18 months for most big breeds). And my experience raising and showing dogs as a kid, followed by years and years with good ole mutts, tends to bear that out. Once I got tired of seeing the smarts bred out of most pure-breeds, I've only had mutts taken in as strays, or mutts adopted from others as puppies. Once a male reaches 18 months old, if he's aggressive, he'll still be aggressive...but just not quite as much so.

But in the situation you described, I don't think neutering is the issue. When a dog thinks it has to share (or compete for) a meal, it is second nature for them to be prone to fight for their food. It's a survival instinct. Feeding them together will always cause them to fight, and you'll be able to tell who is the real alpha between them by which one starts fattening up. Neutered or not, the stronger, more aggressive dog will get the most food.

My suggestions? Go ahead and neuter them, because it will make some difference in any setting other than feeding. And start feeding them at the same time, and seperately from each other.

Hope this helps,

Corky
I found this old Cub, Forgotten and Forlorn,
With pistons and valves frozen and worn.
Help from my buddies on Farmallcub.com,
And an engine from Ralph, (37’s the one),
Now ole Corky is running and back to life,
Much to the surprise of my dear, dear wife!

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Apr 16, 2009 4:47 am

i had a similiar problem with my samoyeds while living in alaska. One male was fixed and the other was not, as he was for breeding purposes. As i owned half with the breeder. When the show dog reached a year old, it wanted to be the alpha male. Well the older male (by one year) wouldnt allow it. So the younger male had to go, as they were indoor dogs at the time. We got a female then. traded even up. One of the hardest thing i had to do trading Omalley away. With the kids present.

Joe Malinowski
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 01035
eBay ID: jayrod01035
Tractors Owned: 1975 F cub, 1965 F cub, 1949 parts cub,1953 F cub 1942 JD LA, 1988 JD 330 diesel

Postby Joe Malinowski » Thu Apr 16, 2009 5:05 am

As a dog breeder for over twenty yrs, the best thing you can do is gt the big surgery done. It will do everything you have read about or been told. They may still have some trouble around the food issue somebody has to be the boss. Good luck.
Joe
22 mower 5', grader blade, 189 two way moldboard plow, cultivators ,danco C2 mower,1961 Comet, 1984 BMW 318i

Part of life is falling down, living is getting back up.

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:02 am

:) :) :) I had a male lab that would jump the fence and do his job all over town. Found him one time about 3 miles from the house in somebody's front yard hooked up to a female. That was it! Next day he lost his man hood. Funny thing was, he jumped the fence for about a week after that but I guess he couldn't remember why. We would find him sitting on the front porch with that typical lab look on his face.
Always try the easiest thing first.

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”