This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Dog legs for square front

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Dog legs for square front

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:41 pm

Does any one know what to use to replace the nut retainer on the side tab of the dog legs for a square front 63 Low boy. From all that i hear it must be a late 63 to have this front. I bought 2 pretty well beat up dog legs ( the price was right and I was glad to get them). Please don't think that I am complaining.
I am thinking of using a Tinnerman D7988-1420 if I can't get the origional. These are for 1/4 20 bolts. Any ideas???
The listings i find for the tinnerman are by the 1000. I hope to be able to get fewer, but will probably have to get 100 or so. If any one else has the same problem I will share. I hate to go for my lungs for 1 lousey nut
The nuts tack welded to the top for the headlight mount are gone too. You can see where metal fatigue set in at the tack welds. It is a very poor design. I think that i will be able to make up a 1/4in or 3/8 backing plate and tap that or braze a nut to it and get a solid mounting.. Something, heavey hanging from two pieces of thin sheet will vibrate and destroy everything as this has.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:12 pm

The first thought that comes to mind is using JB weld or Devcon to attach a standard nut to the back of the metal. There is also a tool that instals a blind nut similiar to the way a pop eivet isinstalled, but the largest it goes is 1/4 x 20. They are available at many larger hardware stores, or at Harbor Freight at http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... umber=1210
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:58 pm

Johyn I take it you are answering on the headlight mounting. The tab on the side has a large square hole.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Ralph » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:41 pm

Beaconlite
The tinneman nuts that oyu are talking about are they the ones that are in a tin cage that locks into a square hole?

Ralph in KY.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Re: Dog legs for square front

Postby Jim Becker » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:53 pm

beaconlight wrote:Does any one know what to use to replace the nut retainer on the side tab of the dog legs for a square front 63 Low boy.

These are for 1/4 20 bolts. Any ideas???.

Not sure exactly which ones you are refering to. Parts book shows some 5/16 cage nuts with the doglegs. In any case, McMaster-Carr has them. 1/4 inch ones are around $8 for a pack of 25, depends a little on exact size needed. 5/16 run more each but are packaged in 10 or 20 depending on the exact size.

beaconlight wrote:It is a very poor design.

I don't think they stood up too badly considering a 10 year design life.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:32 pm

I had forgotten aobut hose being caged nuts. My system would still work buy JB Welding a washer to the back and a nut to that (would only be noticeable if disassembled), but getting the right part would be better.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:42 pm

Well , well I can't even tell 5/16 from 1/4 inch. I'm getting older than I thought. My Tinnerman number is wrong then. 5/16-18 for that thickness metal would be D7937-5618. I'l try Mcmaster-Carr and thank you.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:21 pm

Thanks Jim Becker!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

I ordered from Mcmaster-carr They had them and in a 20 pack. With shipping and tax it will come to about 20 bucks for a pack. At this price I'll change out the one on the other side too.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Thu Dec 02, 2004 8:31 am

I got the cage nuts from McMaster and carr today. They are 5/16 18 which is NC. As you remember one dog leg had a cage nut and the other had none. Well the old one is a fine thread. I will retap the course thread or replace the nut with a 5/16 NF square nut if I can find one. No sense having different threads on each side of the lowboy. If I do, I'll only try to put the wrong one in and really screw things up.
Any one need the cage nuts for the square holes on the dog legs of a square front let me give me your address and I will send them to you. I had to buy a package of 20. If I use 2 and keep a spare thats 17 extra to keep around the shop
Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319

Postby Jim Becker » Thu Dec 02, 2004 9:38 am

That's odd, I would have expected the original to be coarse threaded. You don't see a lot of fine threaded square nuts. I've never been into those parts, just going by the Parts Catalog. Maybe the existing fine threaded nut was a replacement somebody came up with. Wouldn't be the first time the parts book was wrong either.

I'd probably use 2 new coarse threaded ones.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:15 am

I probably will. The offer still stands for any one that needs some.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”