This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:29 pm

I have been cleaning up 563 but still have many things I need to do. All of the grease and 90% of the surface rust is gone.

The magneto has been cleaned and polished, new points, condenser, distributor cap, and new grease. Still waiting on the rotor, but the one I have is good. Set dwell at .013. Is this the best gap? New hoses have been installed...saved all the original Wittek tower clamps :D Spent a little extra to get the one ply rubber hoses from OEM. The old clamps fit that hose perfect. Have loosened up almost all the screws and will lift off the tank and sheet metal tomorrow and install new belts, upper radiator hose, fresh anifreeze and check generator. Broke off one screw on front bolster...lower dog leg :evil:

Gas tank has been rinsed out good and clean, carb. is fine, made a new gas line though.

Also flushed the engine and put in fresh Lo Ash 30wt.

Have been brushing up the old original muffler and its looking nice now.

Replaced all the light gaskets with new rubber. Hey..Simichrome polish (known primarily by old beezer geezers) will clean all the tarnish off your headlight reflectors and will not damage the silver. The lights are twice as bright now. Don't rub too hard and be sure to remove all the polish when your are finished. Soft clean rag.

Have replaced the two front wheel bearings with brand new ones from John at JP.

Got the seat adjusted back.

Removed all the weights.

So far I have done everything myself..that's the therapy and the fun.

Had a great Thanksgiving here. Hope everyone else on the forum did too.
My daughter (twenty eight) and my son-in law were here from San Francisco (computer/internet geeks). Susan loves the '57 hi clear. She rode it for hours. She also beat her old man at horse shoes 21-3, 21-0, 21-0, 21-0 and 21-0. I taught her how to play when she was 9. She throws close to 70% ringers now 8) 8) 8) 8) . Brought her own "Eagle Ringer" shoes. :roll: 8) :roll: 8)

I took some pictures to show but my photo site (http://cgi.datazap.net/) is not working :roll:

Mike
Last edited by Arizona Mike on Mon Nov 29, 2004 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Sun Nov 28, 2004 5:44 pm

Hey Mike,

Can't wait to see pics of 563. Have you tried http://www.picturetrail.com yet :?:
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Mon Nov 29, 2004 8:26 am

Here are a few pics of 563 Mike sent to me. I have posted them with his permission.

"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Mon Nov 29, 2004 9:05 am

:?: Why no paint on the gas tank :?: Does that hood & tank separate unlike the normal 1-piece hood/tank?.
Then came Bronson

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:30 am

I saw the bolt head and wondered about the tank and hood as two piece also. I am not partners with the PC police. I favor all changes that are improvements. The only problem I see is how do you hold up the tank if you want to lift the cowl? Gas is around 8 lbs per gallon. I would hate to support it on the instrument panel.

Bill
Last edited by beaconlight on Mon Nov 29, 2004 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:39 am

The bolt head is normal, it holds the wire harness clip.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

rleggitt
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rleggitt » Mon Nov 29, 2004 6:48 pm

Hey Mike,

Ole '63 shore is look'n fine. Please keep us posted. I want to see it
at Cubarama in '05.

tnestell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 48609

Postby tnestell » Mon Nov 29, 2004 11:20 pm

Gas is 6lbs/gal, Water is 8lbs/gal.

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:25 am

Mike,
That has got to be the cleanest oil tank I have ever seen!! Must have gotten a lot of good therapy getting it that clean. Also, it looks like you are missing the radiator fan shroud. Have you observed any problems as a result? My Cub is also missing the shroud, and I am searching for a replacement.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:57 am

Hey Bill,

Ole' 563 is still sporting a fan shroud....look close and you will see it. 8)

While at the Cub-Arama, I bought a fan shroud from JP's for my Homely. Give them a call...they had several. :wink:

Greg Norman

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby johnbron » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:59 am

Well I still have not seen an answer to my question as to why the gas tank is so clean & paintless compared to the hood. :mrgreen:
Then came Bronson

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Re: 563

Postby johnbron » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:15 am

Bill V in MD wrote:My Cub is also missing the shroud, and I am searching for a replacement.

Heres a shroud that member Ralph has for sale that looks pretty good.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 56571&rd=1
Then came Bronson

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Postby Bill V in Md » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:17 am

Thanks, CubBud - I have been planning on calling JP Tractor Salvage, but the shipping costs are a little high to Baltimore. Re: the shroud, I guess your eyes are a little better than mine. That's the second thing, after memory, that you lose when you get older.

JohnBron, I have been watching that shroud on ebay, and I agree, it looks like a good one. I don't have an answer on the gas tank, but my guess is that he used some type of chemical stripper to get it that clean.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:23 am

With the lack of humidity in AZ, I would bet Mike could leave the tank and oil pan bare metal and they would not rust. :roll:

Greg Norman

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:47 am

ALL old Farmall Cubs should be kept here in the high desert of SE Arizona. Bigdog is still training me on the various things I still need to learn to make this happen..http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5614
No bright lights :!: ..lesson two.

Cub-Bud is right most Cubs will continue to rust until they can get here. If anyone needs to store their Cub here to keep it dry, let me know and I will try to make arrangements to pick it up :D

JB, I removed all of the paint from the tank because most of it wanted to come off anyway while I was cleaning it..I just finished the job with a wire brush. I cleaned around the old decal on the back of the tank though. Its been that way now for about 6 weeks and has not rusted. I like it 8) , don't intend to paint anything on this tractor as of now.

Fan shroud is still there and is straight :o

Mike :D

Return to “Farmall Cub”