This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

anyone ever sand blast a carb?

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

anyone ever sand blast a carb?

Postby cjpenny89 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:55 am

I need to get lots of scale out of my Dads Farmall H carb and I have it completly tore done. do you recomend sand blasting to get the inside and outside cleaned out? Or do you think I would not get all the sand out of it?
what do you guys think?
Chad

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Cub-Bud » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:09 am

I bought a carb on Ebay for my B Farmall that had been sandblasted. Of course, the carb body is cast iron. It took a couple of good cleanings and some compressed air to get it clean. Hope there is no sand left in it...could be trouble.

For the cub carb, I would recommend a good soaking (2-3 weeks) in a gallon of CHEM-DIP. You should be able to find it at any good auto part store. Follow-up with a good rinsing with carb cleaner and dry/blow-out with compressed air.
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

Carm
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21234
Tractors Owned: 1947 FCub 1948 FCub (FrankenCub), 1949 C, 1952 SA, 1963 IH 3414 Backhoe Diesel, 1960 Oliver 880 Diesel, 1945 Mack EF Fire Truck

Postby Carm » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:47 am

I blasted a carb in a glass bead cabinet. The carb cleaner would not cut all of the crap. Just made sure it was thoroughly clean when I was done. I've been running it now with no ill effects. I would say the cleaning in carb cleaner is the way to go first, then blast it if you have to.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:04 am

CJ, the metal of a carb body is very soft. Sand blasting will severely erode it. Don't do anything more serious than bead blasting. I would try the carb cleaner and/or Chem Dip followed by compressed air before attempting to blast.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:26 am

Chad,

Be very careful if you choose to blast the carb. Small air/fuel passages can get clogged with whatever medium you're using.

I have used a 4:1 mixture of muriatic acid and water to soak the carb. It doesn't take long and with a brass wire brush it cleans up very nicely. Undiluted vinegar works also but takes much longer.

If you use this method be sure to rinse rinse rinse :!: Oh and rinse again :lol: 8)

cjpenny89
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby cjpenny89 » Tue Nov 30, 2004 1:41 pm

It sitting in carb cleaner right now! thanks guys

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Tue Nov 30, 2004 2:33 pm

Lordy, ain't that shiney carb PUURTIE!

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

David D. smith
10+ Years
10+ Years

Sand blasting

Postby David D. smith » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:21 pm

I have sandblasted 2 Ford N carbs and the carb for #2 cub with no problems. I completely dissasemble them, Soak them in carb cleaner to get what crud off I can. Blow them out. Then I seal up all holes with dowels. I have used round tooth picks and up to 3/8 dowel. Then I sandblast them.
Then blow them out good again and wash with hot water and soap.

What I would like to try is hot coat one. But I don't know if the pot metal they are made from can take heat of 350 to 400 degrees. Im afraid it might want to warp. If I had a scrapper I would try it.
Dave <*)))><

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Nov 30, 2004 8:49 pm

Hey Donny, I like the acid deal. I'll bet that works slick. Will it cut through the dried grease gunk on the outside. I soaked an H carb for over a year last year and it still was coated with gunk heavily.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:31 pm

Bill,

It does work great but don't leave it in too long :shock: I'll take it out after a few minutes and give it a good brushing and dip it again until it's real clean. Then you know the drill...rinse, rinse, rinse 8)

rvbarkley
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby rvbarkley » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:28 pm

Just a thought....Anyone ever tried electralasys ?....Sure works good on paint and rust.

Cub-Bud
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 38658
eBay ID: Cub-Bud
Tractors Owned: Four FCUBs, one IH Lo-Boy, one B Farmall, two Cadets, and a John Deere B.

Postby Cub-Bud » Wed Dec 01, 2004 1:58 pm

Our mechanic here at the shop soaks carbs in straight Castrol Super Clean and then rinses them with water. Follows that up with a can of carb cleaner and compressed air. 8)
"Never forget where it is you come from, or you may find yourself someplace you don't want to be"

Greg Norman

WJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WJ » Wed Dec 01, 2004 7:36 pm

Donny,

Are those stainless screws in the carb? And what size are they?

Thanks for the information.
If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use duct tape.

Return to “Farmall Cub”