This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

My Lo-Boy just quit running

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

My Lo-Boy just quit running

Postby Jersey_cub » Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:27 pm

My 154 Lo-Boy just quit running today I was riding along and it just quit, puled the choke and it started but wouldn't run unless I left it out then all of a sudden it started to sputter and I pushed the choke in and it ran for a wile and quit again.

Now it won't start at all checked the gas flow to the carb and that's good,removed the distributor cap the rotor and cap were pretty well pitted so I cleaned it up as best as I could put everything back together and it started and stopped in a second.

I think it needs a new cap and rotor, probable new points and condenser. But that's just my guess.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Re: My Lo-Boy just quit running

Postby BigBill » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:29 pm

If it will run on full choke thats a clue its the fuel system. I would drail the bowel in the carb to check it for water and clean out the fuel bowel too.

How old is your gas and do you use a fuel stabilizer? BB
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

John(videodoc)
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61944
Tractors Owned: -
55 F-Cub - snow plow and chains
3 Demonstrators Restored.
"Bette" - 22 mower
"Roxie" - 144 Complete Cults'
"Sandy"(Done) 193 Plow
1950 Demo, "Billie"
-(Woods 59")
Corn Stalk Cutter
23a Disc
&
2005 Mahindra w/FEL
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby John(videodoc) » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:35 pm

always check the big three: AIR, FUEL, SPARK

Eugene
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 65051
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Eugene » Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:50 pm

Boy oh Boy. How long has it been since the tractor has had a complete tune up?

Symptom from initial post - fuel related problem.
I have an excuse. CRS.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:05 pm

I was so into driving my first 154 when i purchased it even though it kept stalling and it did restart until it finally failed completely and died on my front lawn. My happy grin turned to what the heck is wrong with it. I took off the fuel line to find no gas flow. Then i shut off the fuel bowel and took it apart to clean the screen. After reassembly i still had no gas flow. I put the gas line in my mouth and blew into it as hard as i could. I heard a pop in the tank and the gas has been flowing ever since. I had a clog above the fuel bowel inside the tank.

Eugene is right too have you ever tuned it?

I just purchased the spark plugs, cap, rotor and wires for all my c60 engines(4). So i can sit when it hits 90 degrees outside and tune them up one at a time. I have only tuned my cadets so far.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:57 am

Bigbill:

You make a good point about the fuel problem. I have good gas flow to the carburetor so it could be something stuck in the carb between the float and the needle valve, I'm going to drain the fuel bole on the carb and check this morning. Ill get back to you guys and let you know if that works.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:30 am

With my neighbors cub cadet 147 it also had a stalling problem too. I took apart the fuel bowel and found a piece of rubber from an elastic band that would stop the flow of fuel at times. Once i removed it, it was fine again. It feed itself right into were the needle valve is. I have no clue how it got there neither did he too.

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Jersey_cub » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:06 pm

Well guys it's fixed the problem was in the carb, I took the drain plug out of the fuel bole and let in drain for a few seconds some junk came out, I put the plug back in and it started right up and is running like a charm :{_}:

I also put a little more seafoam in with five more gallons of fresh gas.

Thanks everybody for all your help,this is the only place to go when it come to answers about cubs and Lo-Boys :-:-):
Just like one big happy family :||): Have a Happy Easter.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby BigBill » Sat Apr 11, 2009 9:51 am

I would get the carb rebuild kit and get ready to do it up just to make sure its all right and clean.

I'm going to add cleaning the fuel bowels once a year on my maintenance list of things to do when servicing them. (changing the oil/soak the breather cap/grease)

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”