This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Easy Rear Wheel Weights

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Easy Rear Wheel Weights

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 30, 2004 6:33 pm

I was wondering how I was going to put on the heavy rear wheel weights without a floor jack (somethings are still in CA :( ).
I got to looking around and found a piece of 1/2" rod and cut it to about 4' long. I rolled one of the bolt holes in the wheel disk to the top and slid the rod in. On the other end I put the rod through one of the wheel weight holes and then lifted the rod. I smiled as the weight slid right down on the disk, it was just too easy :shock: Once the weight was up against the disk you could hold the rod with your little finger. I had Merry hold the rod as I put the bolts in. This worked so good I had to share 8) 8) 8)

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Arizona Mike
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 85615
Tractors Owned: 6 Cubs and no mas.

1947 Circle series Farmall Cub with Armstrong lift, belt pulley, 5"rims 6" tires, SN 563

1949 Farmall Cub with high crop option and hydraulics

1955 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1955 International Cub Loboy with fast hitch

1957 Farmall Cub with fast hitch

1959 Farmall Cub with fast hitch
Location: way high up in the Huachuca Mt. at the bottom of a deep dark canyon

Postby Arizona Mike » Tue Nov 30, 2004 7:52 pm

Now that's using your head 8) 8) 8) Did you use rebar :?:

Mike

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:00 pm

Donny, just recently I had a similar problem figuring out how I would load multible weights on the H. I mounted 2 dowels only threaded on the end where they bolt to the wheel opposite each other. The length is just enough for the planned number of weights. You simply slide them on one at a time then run 2 bolts in the remaining 2 holes to fasten them tight. I can now load 8, 150 pounders on in no time. It is so easy I don't mind changing weights often. The same system would work for the Cub.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Paul B » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:05 pm

I have used 1/2" all thread to take them off, and put a nut on it to keep it from coming out of the wheel, but that usually bends enough that it may not work very good to put them on. I would think rebar would also bend fairly easy and the ridges would make it hard to slide the weight, like the threads on the all thread do.

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:27 pm

The rod I used was cold rolled. It's very smooth and the weight slid very easily. The rod did bend some but just a slight bow. I would think threaded rod or re-bar would be difficult for the weight to slide on 8)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:31 pm

That's the advantage to being an old geezer. You find easier ways to do things. If them weights hang up - put some dielectric grease on 'em!
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:36 pm

Hey Bigdog I was getting worried about you. Haven't seen you post for a while :lol:
Who you calling an old geezer anyway :?: I've only got 20 years and 3 months to catch up with Mr. GW and I'm hoping I'll never catch up :!: :!:
As far as the dielectric grease goes...well it does have many uses :wink: 8)

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Tue Nov 30, 2004 9:50 pm

Donny - Just speakin' from experience on the old geezer thing. Been out scoutin' around. Pickin' out my next target.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:02 pm

Well it's a good thing you're not stalking these parts. I have a good line on #4. As soon as the deal's final I'm going to coat the Cub with a thick layer of DC4 to ward off any Bigdog attempts :lol: 8)

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide
Zip Code: 71203
Tractors Owned: 1948,55, and 56 Farmall Cubs.

Postby Harold R » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:22 pm

I have a good line on #4.

Poor Roland, the forgotten Cub. :cry:

Well it's a good thing you're not stalking these parts

Don't underestimate the new satellite technology. Better hurry up on the barn! 8) 8)

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 30, 2004 10:29 pm

:lol: :lol: Roland hasn't been forgotten :!: He has a new engine sitting in wait for his bolster to be repaired. (Your dad still up for it?). I'll get started on the barn very soon. For now I have to try and make up for the down time 8)

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:03 pm

(Your dad still up for it?).

Yeah, he needs another project. He's flying through the '69 cub at a rate where he'll be through in a couple of more weeks. :shock: :shock:

Donny M
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Donny M » Tue Nov 30, 2004 11:41 pm

All right then :!: I'll have the bolster off in a few days.

Forgotten....humph :!: :lol: :lol: 8)

Harold R
Team Cub Guide
Team Cub Guide

Postby Harold R » Wed Dec 01, 2004 11:53 am

Wasn't the front end of Roland all hacked up? Need a front end? I have one that I think it's in good shape, just has some brackets welded on it. You'd need a torch and an angle grinder, but it's all there...........as well as a new looking bolster, but I may hang on to it. 8) We just need to figure how to be at the same lat-long at the same time.

Jeff M
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 04071
Tractors Owned: Cubless, but living vicariously through others
'61 Ford 641
Kubota BX 2370

Postby Jeff M » Wed Dec 01, 2004 4:57 pm

Not to pop your balloon, Donny, but that's the method "Mr GW" related to me sometime last year. Works pretty slick, doesn't it?
Care and feeding of family's Ford 641 ('61)
Kubota BX 1860

Return to “Farmall Cub”