This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

New 185 owner

IH CUB Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185 Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Lo-Boy related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
dadsbadhabit
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 45013

New 185 owner

Postby dadsbadhabit » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:54 am

Exucse me if this gets a little long winded. I just picked up a 185 last weekend with a rear mounted 59" woods mower, snow blade and regular tires. It's just what I needed and couldn't find in any other tractor for the price. The owner stated that the engine had a recent overhaul but it needed tuned up. She was real weak but after I put a tune up kit in it and set the timing correctly at full throttle this tractor runs strong. The timing was set about 25 degrees too far advanced. This tractor feels like an old friend. I used to have a job mowing with one back in the 70s as a teenager and always thought these were great for getting the job done. At some point in time this tractor was converted over to an electric PTO clutch setup, is this very common? I don't see a problem with way it works as long as the charging system can keep up with the extra current draw. I got real lucky and found out 2 of the guys you see on Ebay selling parts for these are in the same county. I'm going to look into putting a turf tire setup on it if the price isn't too bad. I'll post some pictures when I get time. I've got a lot of work to do right now :wink:

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: New 185 owner

Postby RaymondDurban » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:04 am

Congratulations and Welcome to the Forum!! :{_}:

If the electric PTO is working and you don't seem to have issues with the engine starting (weak battery) leave it as is. Hamilton Bob is a member here and seems to be a good honest person to deal with. I haven't heard one bad thing about him. Enjoy your Cub and have fun!!

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:42 am

The numbered series cubs are very good for what they were designed to do. I also spent years as a teenager mowing on a 154. They do a great job, much better than the offset cubs, just go over it and make sure things are tight. I am not sure of the current draw of the electric clutch but it can't be very much. Should be no problem keeping up with charging.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:03 pm

First welcome to the forum. Its one of the best for the farmall cubs and the international numbered cubs.

I have found out along with most of the 154/185/184 owners its the only tractor i have found that does what i wanted it for "mowing". At one time the manufacturing/production numbers surpassed the fcubs for quite a few years. I guess this tractor really filled the need for an estate mowing machine.

I believe the only difference between the 154 and 185 is the HP and the electric PTO. The 154 is the only one with the manual pto.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

LiL' Red
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61423
eBay ID: woodpecker56

Postby LiL' Red » Wed Apr 08, 2009 8:21 pm

BigBill wrote:First welcome to the forum. Its one of the best for the farmall cubs and the international numbered cubs.

I have found out along with most of the 154/185/184 owners its the only tractor i have found that does what i wanted it for "mowing". At one time the manufacturing/production numbers surpassed the fcubs for quite a few years. I guess this tractor really filled the need for an estate mowing machine.

I believe the only difference between the 154 and 185 is the HP and the electric PTO. The 154 is the only one with the manual pto.

The electric clutch may have been an option on the 185 but I've never seen one. I've only seen electric on the 184.

dadsbadhabit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dadsbadhabit » Thu Apr 09, 2009 5:48 am

This tractor originally came with a manual PTO clutch and was converted over to an electric setup. I was suspicious about it and since my first post I have found this clutch not to work . It heats up and stops holding after mowing for about 15 minutes. I'm going to put the original manual PTO drive back in when I find one.

dadsbadhabit
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby dadsbadhabit » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks to Bob and Lou for great deals on parts and advice. I replaced the makeshift PTO shaft and clutch with the correct parts. I new the drive clutch was short for this world but the rear flywheel/plate decided to break loose from the trans input shaft so I replaced it, the clutch disc and drive shaft. I got this all done in the past 3 days while running around looking for parts. It should be good to go now. At least I'm still in my original budget for a tractor purchase. Now if it would just stop raining!

Rudi
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: E1A7J3
Skype Name: R.H. "Rudi" Saueracker, SSM
Tractors Owned: 1947 Cub "Granny"
1948 Cub "Ellie-Mae"
1968 Cub Lo-Boy
Dad's Putt-Putt
IH 129 CC
McCormick 100 Manure Spreader
McCormick 100-H Manure Spreader
Post Hole Digger
M-H #1 Potato Digger
Twitter ID: Rudi Saueracker, SSM

Postby Rudi » Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:27 pm

dadsbadhabit:

Hello and welcome :!: What you will see below is well, kinda long winded.. :big shy: but and this is the important qualifier, there is a reason. A lot of information is contained in the Welcome Wagon. This Forum Family has some of the best and most comprehensive resources available to just about any hobby on the internet that I have seen to date. So.. have a look. I apologize for the dearth of information on the 185 and yes the rest of the Numbered Lo-Boys, but I am attempting to correct that problem. There is an owner's manual, there is a so-so service manual -- it is part of the I&T series, and I am trying to find the IH GSS series for each the Numbered Cubs but it is an ongoing process. Same applies to the parts manuals, but they are coming.

I would recommend contacting Binder Books below for manuals should you need them. The IH ones are the best, especially the originals which is what I try to find, but if a repro is acceptable the best ones come from Binder - period :!:

So with that, welcome and grab a comfy chair, a cup of coffee and read away.. :big smile:

First, Image to the greatest forum on the internet, and to the Cub Family. You will find that all the folks on this forum are kind, helpful and just full of Cub info and knowledge. They also happen to be the finest folks I have ever met :!: :D

The Welcome Wagon is a relatively brief introduction to the information that is currently available on Cub tractors, and answers many of the common questions new members ask right of the bat. Although it is a bit overwhelming :shock: , it has been designed to actually be copied to a Word Processor such as Microsoft Word (which preserves the active links), and saved to your desktop for easy reference at a later date or when you have a bit more time to read all the information contained in the links below. Please do so, enjoy and I hope this will be a useful aid in learning more about your New Cub Tractor :!: :D

Filling out your Image Profile is a real help. It just needs to be - State,City, County, a lot less than what is available in your local phone book. Knowing where you are will help in members offering to come help, when you are looking for parts - the area that would be useful to you etc., Also our CubFests, Mini-Fests or a simple KaffeeKlatsch/get together over coffee and a doughnut etc., to help each other benefits. Just a thought :!:

When adding signature lines to your profile, the use of animated or non-animated banners and large graphics files must be avoided. These files consume large amounts of bandwidth and cause slow page loading, especially for those forum members using dialup connections.

Ok, so here is the spiel Image:

I would suggest that you read this thread: New Members and Visitors, Please READ Prior to Posting. There are many great links to informative pages such as the ATIS FAQ's 1 and ATIS FAQ's 2, The Best of H.L. Chauvin who has written very interesting articles on troubleshooting common problems with your Cub. One of the other projects we have been working on and it will be a continuing effort is the The Cub Book of Knowledge. This the the place to go to get all the quick links to some very good articles written by many members of the forum on solving some of the problems we encounter as we repair, maintain and up-grade our Cubs. Keep looking for this to grow.

Also, you might want to visit the Cub Manual Server as there is tons of info on servicing, maintaining and re-building your Cub. In addition to this basic information, there are also a number of other useful tools available on the server. There is the Specialty Services page which has contact info for neat stuff like getting your seats recovered, buying quality Decals, Serial Number tags and a host of other neat items. Also there are the Parts Pages - both Used Parts Suppliers and New Parts Suppliers pages with links to quality dealers. I am always looking for YOUR favourite dealers for New and Used Parts to include here. These pages are intended to complement our Official FarmallCub.com Website Sponsors:I would also recommend that you visit Binder Books and purchase the three most important manuals you can own for Maintenance, Repair and Rebuilding your Cub. These are the Owner's Manual, the GSS-1411 Service Manual and the TC-37F Parts Manual. Although they are available on the Cub Manual Server, it is better if you also have your own paper copy. Binder Books is the only Authorized IH Publication Reprint House and they have the best quality manuals available. Most other's are not of the same quality. Just a personal thought here, the I&T Shop Manuals, although helpful in some areas, really are not sufficient for the job. If you wish though, they are good additional reference works.

IF you really want to get the skinny on all things Cub, might I suggest you get a copy of Ken Updike's Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet's :?: . While you are at it Original Farmall Cub and Cub Cadet is Ken's latest addition to the series. Along with Guy Fay's Letter Series Originality Guide, these are three must have's in anyone's collection.

In addition to the above information, don't forget to check out the various articles that are available to help with your Repair, Restore, Rebuild or just your Maintenance Projects. There are a number of sub pages such as Electrolysis or Rust Zapper's, Maintenance Tips, Jigs and Techniques, Implement and Part Sketches and of course the Paint, Decals & Other Finish Questions which has the Paint Chart and the Paint Committee Decisions links.

Oh, and while the program still lasts.. you might want to check the Announcement: Navistar Free Gas Cap Offer - On-Line Form thread at the top of the Cub Forum and send away for the new style safety cap before that program runs out as well. The program has been extended and no new definite end-date has been announced at this point. It is an extension only and may end rather quickly depending on available stocks. Please do take advantage of this offer and get the new safety caps :idea: :!:

I truly hope that you enjoy your Cub and that you will be a frequent contributor to the forum. Again, Image to the Cub FamilyImage :D
Confusion breeds Discussion which breeds Knowledge which breeds Confidence which breeds Friendship

Jersey_cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 07727
Skype Name: Jersey_cub
Tractors Owned: 1972 154 Low Boy
1952 Farmall Cub The Little Red Binder

Postby Jersey_cub » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:23 am

Welcome to the forum dadsbadhabit, you have definitely made the right choice of sites for any of the cub tractors. As Rudi has said and do read the information that he has posted, it has a lot of time saving information. Not to mention the time spent in gathering this for all of us to utilize.

If you browse threw the posts on the forum you will see that lots of questions are asked and answered with great results, so again as Rudi says sit back have a cup of coffee and read.

Good luck with you 185 and again welcome to the forum.

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:40 pm

I just got a 185 myself, and mine has the "live pto" option and hydraulic lift on it.---no 3-point,---60" mower,--skinny turf tires on rear but I wont be "muddin" with it so that part dont bother for my use---(mowing) Trying to service it and get the starter to work,and clean all the cut grass out of it!
I love the ease of the way it drives and steers,--plus its easy for me to get on /off of, so I just need some decent weather to finish working on it! Having the lpto is the reason I bought it, that way I can stop and back up without the mower having to coast on the overrunning clutch so much!

Welcome to this great forum, too!!! thanks ; sonny

Return to “Lo-Boy Series - 154, 184, 185”