This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Drilling in Zerk Fittings??

All non-Cub/Cadet/IH/Farmall/Case tractor and machinery discussions.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Drilling in Zerk Fittings??

Postby Paul_NJ » Mon Dec 06, 2004 4:09 pm

Does anyone have any experience adding Zerk fittings to drag link ends?

In the process of removing the front axle of my 340 Utility, I removed the drag link power steering arms. The tie rod ends (connected to axle end) were really worn, so I found NAPA replacements for them. The other ends (connected to power steering) seem to not be badly worn, but one was really dry, and the other almost frozen due (I presume) to hardened grease inside the housing. Neither have grease fittings.

I could try to find IH replacements, but I imagine they would be pretty expensive. The old ones don't seem that bad, but need lubrication. Could I soak the old ones in kerosene to get the old (factory) grease solubilized, and then drill and tap holes to install a Zerk fitting? Is it better to go in the back plate, or the side (casting)? Seems reasonable, but I've never tried it before.

Thanks
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 06, 2004 8:40 pm

Paul I am not familiar with the particular ends you are talking about but i use one of my mother inlaws old insolin hyperdermic needles to inject grease into factory sealed fittings. There seems to always be a way to get past the seals without causing damage.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 06, 2004 9:05 pm

Most auto parts stores sell injectors that look like large hypodermic needles with grease fittings for greasing sealed bearings.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Paul_NJ
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul_NJ » Mon Dec 06, 2004 11:11 pm

Thanks guys, I never knew that I could do that. I'll try that tomorrow.
51 Cub; IH 340 Utility; IH 240 Utility http://public.fotki.com/PWS/

Return to “Other Tractors and Machinery”