This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Growing corn??????

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: Growing corn??????

Postby SONNY » Wed May 06, 2009 12:32 am

I always planted short equal length rows in a block,---But then what do I know, --I probably do that wrong too!! thanks; sonny

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Wed May 06, 2009 7:52 am

Corn does need several rows to aid polination. I don't have the space to plant a lot of rows, so I always plant 6 rows. Where my corn is, the rows are about 170+ ft. long.The variety is Merritt sweet corn and the above method works for me. We have enough to put up and give some away.

Billy

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Wed May 06, 2009 3:24 pm

I plant mine this weekend.I don't fertilize till 4" tall.Then just before the cub can't cultivate it again.Somebody said it earlier also.I've had good luck doing it this way too!! Last year we had rains till July and wasn't able to get in to side-dress.Corn did lousy!!!First year garden and weeds and not able to cultivate kill me.BETTER DO BETTER THIS YEAR!!!! errrr Kevin ps I love to sit and watch the corn grow after fertilizing haha!!!!
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Wed May 06, 2009 10:32 pm

Nowhere in any of these garden posts have I seen where you address the weed problems and varmint problems that you are going to have!----Have I missed something!!!----OR is it because I have been doing it all wrong all these years!?
Kevin admits to having weeds,---I have to fight weeds/bugs/varmints/ etc. all the time!---Do you have some magic spell you got from a book that you cast over your gardens?----FESS UP!!!---We would like to know the secret!---since I dont know anything---educate me! thanks; sonny

Billy Fussell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 75959

Postby Billy Fussell » Thu May 07, 2009 8:01 am

Sonny, you're asking the wrong one here to do any educating. I can just tell you what I do. I try to stay ahead of the weed and grass by hoeing and cultivating. I try to throw dirt up to and between the plants to smother out the weeds. Even then, the stubbern ones will come up. That is when I take the hoe to them. We have a sticker weed here that will grow waist high with all the fertilize I put on the garden. I believe weeds and grass are just part of gardening. If a garden will grow produce, it will also grow the grass. Just my opinion.

Billy

KETCHAM
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44645
eBay ID: kevinb2366
Tractors Owned: 47 Cub 48 Cub 50 H

Postby KETCHAM » Thu May 07, 2009 9:41 am

Sonny I admit to a lot of things.WEEDS!!! and Varmin!!! The garden looks a lot better than last year!!! Most of the grass has been disced up pretty good.Do have a few weeds to get though.Most of my maple trees to the north have been cut down.That should do away with the tree farm[haha!! ya know the twirly things!!]Varmin I shoot!!! Most animals[raccoons and ground hogs] so far are keeping away.Amazing what a few shots do.Birds too!!! Put a Owl out.I use 2 of them!!! Keeps rabbits from getting in there too!!.Looking good so far!!! Planting row crops sunday or monday,weather permitting.Corn,peas,and green beans!!!Gonna be a great year unlike last year!!! Kevin
47 CUB[Krusty] 49 CUB[Ollie] 50 H-- PLOWS DISCS MOWERS AND lots more stuff!!Life is to short -Have fun now cause ya ain't gonna be here long!!!!

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby SONNY » Thu May 07, 2009 9:51 pm

I know!!!---We all gotta struggle to get a little production from our gardens,---but the stuff we do grow taste SOOOO much better that the store bought wilty stuff that was gassed to make it look purdy!!-----cant beat the ole plant ripened veggies!

I tilled some today and made it rain---AGAIN, so only got the cranberry/blueberry bed excavated and constructed,--then planted the plants, so we see what happens if they grow or not.

On the corn row subject,---I also either shake the stalks by hand to knock the pollen onto the silks, or spray with a hand sprayer if the weather is dry, so the pollen sticks to the silks---Takes a lotta time but I seem to get good ear fill and I intend to do that again this year if I am able.
corn has an amazing appetite for high nitrogen fert. to aid kernel set too. P and K aid in making a big stalk, but its the nitro that does the ear thingy.--lotta water during ear fill dont hurt either. thanks; sonny

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”