This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

All other non-specific model Farmall / IH / CASE tractors. (Catch-All)
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28521
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...
Circle of Safety: Y

Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Postby Super A » Sun May 10, 2009 10:08 pm

OK, I know this has sort of come up a time or two. And, being I am from eastern NC, I am almost embarrassed to ask, but tobacco had already left our farm by the time I came along. So, indulge me: I have a potential line on an old tobacco setter for a Super A. I would dearly love to come across a good one that I could restore and take to shows. Back in the day my dad co-owned one for our Super A, it may have been a Powell or Holland.

The ones I have heard of are: Holland, Powell, Bemis, and Mechanical Transplanter. Am I missing anybody?

Looks like IH "endorsed" the Holland: http://www.tm-tractor.com/gbrochures/htransplanters.jpg

So, any information, and especially, PICTURES would be great to help me in my quest. This is not a serious, hard-core, leave-no-stone-unturned search---yet. If this potential opportunity does not work out, it may become such a search. :wink:

Oh--And I'm looking for standard drawbar, take-half-a-day-to-mount models. None of that sissy Fast Hitch stuff. 8)

So, any information on what to look for--in terms of age, make, model, parts sources, etc. would be muchly appreciated! :big afro:
Al
White Demo Super A Restoration Updates

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.
Celebrating 75 years of the Super A: 1947-2022

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Re: Tobacco Setters/Transplanters

Postby DanR » Mon May 11, 2009 4:11 am

I have not really been interested in tobacco planters but there are some sitting around this area. At one time Burly tobacco was the big thing here. I know of two within a mile of me. Since tobacco planters are of no value now, many are going to the scrappers.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon May 11, 2009 6:37 am

I have used MT and have a Holland now. I see them at farm sales, they go for about $100, More this time of year. Look at the condition of the pockets that hold the plant. They are rubber and dry-rot. Look for wear in the axle and and chain sprockets. see if the barrel is rusted out. Be sure to get the barrel side mounts if for an "A" or Cub.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 23962
eBay ID: dmb2613

Postby Boss Hog » Mon May 11, 2009 7:24 am

The Holland is best by far A good one is going to be hard to find most are just plain worn out. Check the sword too if you can find them now they will cost more than the planter. They were $100 a while ago. Agri-supply has some parts for them.
David
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Gary Boutwell
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 70401
Tractors Owned: 3 barns full of Cubs and implements in various stages of disrepair

Postby Gary Boutwell » Mon May 11, 2009 8:07 am

Al,

Since your are not interested in "sissy, fast hitch" ones, I will not be sending you photos of mine.

I do have a Holland FH transplanter. Picked it up at/from David Bennett.
It a beauty!
Louisiana Cub Fest, March 5 & 6, 2010
http://ihc31.com/cubfest
Gary Boutwell
Hammond, LA

3 barns full of Cubs of various condition

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: Collector of Super As, Corn Pickers, and a buncha other junk. Even a Cub now and then...

Postby Super A » Mon May 11, 2009 8:30 am

Gary Boutwell wrote:Al,

Since your are not interested in "sissy, fast hitch" ones, I will not be sending you photos of mine.

I do have a Holland FH transplanter. Picked it up at/from David Bennett.
It a beauty!

If you don't mind....send pictures! I am guessing that everything but the hitch would be the same. And I am just guessing here, but wouldn't they have a provision to drop the fast hitch prong and bolt on whatever brackets etc. would be needed for a regular drawbar?

The one we had was used on a Super A, with no fast hitch.

al

Let us pray for farmers and all who prepare the soil for planting, that the seeds they sow may lead to a bountiful harvest.

DanR
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 37743

Postby DanR » Mon May 11, 2009 9:05 am

I have an extra A draw bar if you want it.
47 Cub (Glenda)
52 Super A
62 Cub (Genie)
43 H
42 M
In all things know which way the wind is blowing.

johnny j
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 20711
Tractors Owned: 1948 FARMALL CUB #34846

Postby johnny j » Mon May 11, 2009 4:12 pm

we used A D.R.ELLIS .we planted ove 20 acres of tobacco, wilson broad leaf
JOHNNY J
Attachments
planter 1.jpg
ellis planter 1.jpg

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Sun May 17, 2009 1:01 pm

Al. you take out a shaft and the fast hitch comes off, there were two brackets that would be installed and the shaft slid back through. Changing it from fast hitch to draw bar mount. I will get some pics as soon as it stops raining. I have found an all most NOS Holland planter :D
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog
Power corrupts; absolute power corrupts absolutely byJohn Emerich Edward Dalberg

Super A
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Super A » Sun May 17, 2009 3:15 pm

David Bennett wrote:Al. you take out a shaft and the fast hitch comes off, there were two brackets that would be installed and the shaft slid back through. Changing it from fast hitch to draw bar mount. I will get some pics as soon as it stops raining. I have found an all most NOS Holland planter :D

Thanks David, Would love to see pictures!

Al

Daniel H.
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 27055
Tractors Owned: 1951 Super A
1955 Cub Lo-boy
1955 Ferguson TO-35

Postby Daniel H. » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:01 pm

I have a "Darf" that I got at an auction here in Northwest NC. I had never seen this brand before, but "DARF" is painted on the plant boxes and there is a serial tag with that name , too. It says made in Raleigh, NC. It was yellow and red. The tank is Holland and other than the name the planter looks just like a Holland, too.

Daniel
The four most expensive words in tractor restoration: "We might as well..."

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Sun Jun 07, 2009 8:47 am

Daniel H. wrote:I have a "Darf" that I got at an auction here in Northwest NC. I had never seen this brand before, but "DARF" is painted on the plant boxes and there is a serial tag with that name , too. It says made in Raleigh, NC. It was yellow and red. The tank is Holland and other than the name the planter looks just like a Holland, too.

Daniel

We had a Darf trailer type wheel rake at home. Only piece of Darf equipment I ever seen.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Boss Hog
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby Boss Hog » Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:04 pm

The planter below is one I have not identified yet
I will take some better ones soon, I have the regular hitch brackets too
IN GOD WE TRUST
All others pay cash
Boss Hog

Return to “Farmall / IH / CASE”