This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

What's a good size for a workshop?

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

What's a good size for a workshop?

Postby pgmrdan » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:56 am

Still new here so please excuse the dumb question. And please don't say, "Twice what you think you'll need." :D

Plan on having a house built in about 2 years and want to have a workshop for tinkering with an old car I have and an old tractor I don't have yet. I'll just be working on one at a time.

What's a good size for a workshop (dedicated detached garage)?

I've read that one the size of a 2 car garage will work well enough but thought I'd run this past you guys.

What size workshop works for you?

Thanks,
Dan

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Bigdog » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:29 am

30 X 40 at a minimum. You'll fill it up and wish it was bigger. In all reality, build it as big as you can afford to now and allow provisions for adding on later.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:49 am

I just built a 28X28 garage 10 foot high rather than the usual 8 feet. I used 2 9 foot wide doors 8 feet high rather that the usual 8foot wide 7 foot high doors. I did not but should have added at least 1 overhead door on the back.
I find this is an absolute minimum. I can add a shed roof to either side and get out of the weather storage. Origionally thought 5 or 10 years from now but it looks as if I will need it sooner. You can make it longer as Big Dog reccomends. Also give thought to an interior partition to heat part of it for winter. That way you work not freezing and use the unheated part for storage. Short hand for future projects.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Postby Virginia Mike » Mon Dec 13, 2004 1:59 pm

I've read that one the size of a 2 car garage will work well enough but thought I'd run this past you guys.

Don't forget the storage needs of the wife if you have one.

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Mon Dec 13, 2004 2:24 pm

"Don't forget the storage needs of the wife if you have one."

Not in MY workshop! :shock:

I plan on having this as my workshop only. The attached garage can handle the vehicles and miscellaneous. That's where her stuff can go. :lol:

Good point though.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 13, 2004 4:52 pm

Hey you do it your way. I'll do it mine. We sleep in the same bed. Come into our work shop any time you want. If you bring the mattress with you Ok by me.
Bev and I have been married nearly 50 years, and this works for us.
Besides we were keepinp company about 3 weeks when i called to say my car was broken down and my brother and I would be taking it apart to find the trouble. She was there in 45 minutes with her own parts cleaning brush in her hand. I said to my self, HEY don't let this one get away she is a keeper.
That was 1953, we got married in 1955 and it still works for us. Besides she helped frame the 3 bed room house we are building in the country. Only thing she doesn't do is roof shingles, afraid of heights. Can't have perfection but it's close enough for me.
Bill
Last edited by beaconlight on Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Mon Dec 13, 2004 5:30 pm

pgmrdan wrote:"Don't forget the storage needs of the wife if you have one."

Not in MY workshop! :shock:

I plan on having this as my workshop only. The attached garage can handle the vehicles and miscellaneous. That's where her stuff can go. :lol:

Good point though.
Boy do you have a lot to learn. :lol:
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

pgmrdan
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby pgmrdan » Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:49 pm

I've known her almost 30 years, we've been married almost 28 years, we've got 3 kids, etc., etc., etc.

I can't get her to come into the garage now when I need her help. I doubt she'll even want anything of hers stored in my workshop.

Bill, can your wife clean fish or at least cook them? If she can do either then she is perfection!

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:32 pm

She catches them too and puts her own worms on. I am the luckiest guy in the world. When we got married things were tight financially. I went to Alaska and worked on the DEW Line in the Aleutians for 9 months. Sent the money home, She had a 1/3 down down payment and the money to furnish a house in the bank when I got home. This girl walks on water!

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Jim Hudson
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 28001

Postby Jim Hudson » Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:54 pm

2700 square feet and 5-10x10 doors and 2-8x7 is to small for me!! But it's not going to get any bigger. 2 100,000 btu propane heaters I cannot afford to run. Forget the 93,000btu a/c units. Heard a big woman come into a store asking for a A/C window unit and the guy says how many BTU's you want. The woman said I don't know nuttin bout BTU's. All I know is I want enough BTU's to cool a BUT as big as a TUB.
Young man for work, old man for advice

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:10 pm

well my shop is 40x48 with 10' ceiling
8) and it ain't big enough but it will do :roll:

Ralph in KY.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:17 pm

Ralph, You let your wife in?????????????????????

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:39 pm

Just realized you didn't say fresh water or salt water fish. The answer i gave was for fresh water bass and bull heads. Actually takes a pair of pliers and pulls the skin off the bull heads.
Neighbors bring us Blue fish, weak fish, porgies and fluke. Simply because just drop the fish off. We by that I mean which ever of us is home will clean, package and cook or freeze, say thank you and offer some back to the catcher. If there is a spouse involved that doesn't cook fish, Bev will invite the catcher over for a fish fry.
I keep repeating it to my self "You lucky SOB"
Course some times she gets to be a PIA about putting the garbage out. She Never once nagged, "you never take me out". Don't ever wonder why I bring this girl pretty flowers.
We were at a wedding sat of Thanksgiving. They had one of those stupid who is married the longest things. Of course it was us. Somebody wanted to know if he could add up all three wives. Didn't matter we had him beat any way. Next was a jitterbug and we were the only couple on the floor. Same for the rock num next. I treat her good and she treats me good. The old what goes around comes around. trick.
Oh she makes her own Saurkraut and pickles too, puts up tomatoe sauce too. Bev won't can vegtables, she freezes them, claims it is better nutritionally and you consume less salt that way. Am I supposed to complain about that. I don't think so. Did you notice you got me started on my favorite subject about my favorite person..

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Ralph
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 41005
Tractors Owned: Near 200 cubs through the years

Postby Ralph » Mon Dec 13, 2004 8:50 pm

Bill
When you were describing your wife it sounded like me and mine
We been married for 30 years and she works with me every day she will
run the bob cat
drive the dump truck
work the cub
dig in the mud
work most people into the dirt before lunch
sneek off and catch fish clean um and fry um up fer supper .

Gave me two healthy intelligent courtious sons 13 and 15

Yea I think I'll keep her fer a while longer 8)

Ralph IN KY.
Shoot low Sherriff they are Riding Shadows
4 Wheels move the body.....
2 Wheels move the Soul .....

Ralph in ky.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:30 pm

Ralph you got the same problem I got. I always wonder, Will she keep me?

You mentioned driving truck. Forgot about that. She used to drive a 58 Brockway straight job with a reffer, registered 38,000 gross. I had a second job and when I couldn't get the truck back to the yardin time for a couple hours sleep, she would and retrive the car. Had a 4 speed with a clicker for two speed rear end.
Never forgot the year the local Chevey dealer told the Girl Scouts they could only donate a Step Van for use at the camp. I got home Bev asked "Whats a step van"? I said it"s like a bread truck where the driver stands up. She said , Oh like that truck of Arties you used to drive. Yeah. Next day when she went to pick it up, the mechanic asked " do you want me to back it out".
Bev said, "why , whats the matter with it, No mirrors." That fall when the camp closed she had to bring the stuff back to Girl Scout Head quarters in Manhattan. I got a panickey call. What do i do, I just knocked the mirrors off a parked mail truck on 42 street and ther is no one there. I shouted "congratulations, you are now officially a truck driver. You cleared a set of Californias (mirrors). Talking about it to Tiny that weekend(an over the road driver friend of ours) he hollared out the same congratulations.
Most of our cars were stick till lately. Hard to by a used car with stick around here. All of our PU were stick including the 2003 she bought new as an Easter present. She bought me a JD 1050 with a bucket for my birthday and the 28 X 28 garage was a christmas present. I had to buy the Brush Hog 668 back hoe to go on the 1050 my self. I am spoiled. The more things I forget till something comes along to make me remember.
One time one of the neighbor women had a basement full of water. All the husbands were at work. Bev shut off the cold water feed to the water heater, shut off the gas also and popped the cap off the sewer to let the water drain out. She then removed the union on the hot water side,and replaced it with a cap, turned the water back on so that even there was not hot water people could still use the hopper.
It's amazing how many things I forget,

Alot can happen in 50 years.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”