This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

cracked A block?

Farmall Super A, AV, 100, 130, & 140 1939 - 1973
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
glp67
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1969 cub ,CC104,CC100,CC73,54A grader blade,rear tiller,42QA snowthrower,36QA snowthower.

cracked A block?

Postby glp67 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:47 pm

hey fella's ,i just aquired my first A from a fella who "told me" that the ol grl sat in a barn for the last 15+ yrs and the motor was dry seized.....WELL #2 and 3 cyl. were full of water from what year i have no idea,but the real kicker is the block is cracked between 2&3 cyl around the head bolts and across the water jacket area.Now do u think i will be able to just resleeve it and hope for the best,weld it and sleeve it , OR am i destine to part the ol pile out?any help would be great including locating a used motor or bare block.thnx guys feelin kinda disappointed :(

Greg in CANADA

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Re: cracked A block?

Postby SONNY » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:36 am

Around here getting a block welded is around $500.00!---look for a good used one!--may find one for a hundred bucks or so! thanks; sonny

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:25 am

I have seen a lot of B and A blocks running cracked, with no welding. Since it is wet sleeves, the main worry is strength, not sealing.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

glp67
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 1969 cub ,CC104,CC100,CC73,54A grader blade,rear tiller,42QA snowthrower,36QA snowthower.

Postby glp67 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:04 pm

well had a machinist take a look at he cracks ....weld ,rebore,plane the block ,resleeve and do a final hone + he wont do just the cyl.s he said to it all or nuthin .well fellas if u need any A parts let me know cause she 's goin to the dismantler on the weekend .tins good ,tanks clean .any how i guess my first A is goin to be a parts tractor .too bad i had ideas for the ol iron .i ll post pic of parts in the forsale on the forum.

Greg in CANADA

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Sat Jun 06, 2009 6:04 pm

Can you post a pic of the cracked area? I welded a jeep 134 f head between the two center cylinders. It cracked across the head bold threads. I drilled a small hole at the end of each crack and then I ground it out with a cutting disc on my 4 " grinder into the water jacket and welded it up solid using Certainum cast iron arc rod. Then i decked the block in a milling machine and drilled and rethreaded the hole. Luckily the crack didn't make it to the cylinders.
I found out later they used the jeep as a yard vechicle for plowing snow and ran it over heated a lot.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Return to “Farmall A, Super A, AV, 100, 130 & 140”