This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Sweet corn weed control

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
Trent M
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 62859
Circle of Safety: Y

Sweet corn weed control

Postby Trent M » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:12 pm

Is there something that can be used for weed control in sweet corn? I always manually weeded before, but the Cub's are so fun, the garden has grown much, much bigger. There is no way I could weed all the sweet corn by hand. So what do you guys use to help control the weeds in the sweet corn rows? I cultivate between the rows, but there's still lots of weeds in the rows between the corn.

Thanks!
Trent McPeak

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Virginia Mike
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 24095
Tractors Owned: '49 Cub
'49 JD "B"
'79 JD 2040
'50 DB "Garden Tractor"
'52 DB "Super Power"
'56 DB "Big 5"
'62 DB "Super 600"
'37 McCormick Deering "LA" engine

Re: Sweet corn weed control

Postby Virginia Mike » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:31 pm

2-4-D is a old one that is cheap. It does broad leaf weeds.
Best,
Mike
Tractors are made to work!
"A Cub will do as much as a team of horses,.. More in hot weather!" - C. W. Spradlin 1909-1994

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Postby Don McCombs » Sat Jun 13, 2009 7:34 pm

Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

Bill Hudson
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 44057
Tractors Owned: 57 F-Cub - Dad & Mom's Cub
77 F-Cub - Red Long Stripe

Postby Bill Hudson » Sat Jun 13, 2009 8:44 pm

Trent,

Try asking your question of the good folks at your local Illinois Cooperative Extension office. You will find them here:
Hamilton County Office
100 S. Jackson
Courthouse Basement
McLeansboro, IL 62859
Phone: 618-643-3416
FAX: 618-643-3206

Chances are pretty good that you have driven past the office once or twice in the last month, given that you live in McLeansboro. They can give you the latest information on what works locally. Good luck.

Bill
Bill

"The probability of life originating from accident is comparable to the probability of the unabridged dictionary resulting from an explosion in a printing shop." Edwin Conklin, biologist

Member of Ohio Chapter #6

SONNY
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 61722

Postby SONNY » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:11 am

2-4-D, over the top before corn is 4 inches tall----OR spray later knee to waist high BUT ya gotta use drop nozzles on your sprayer, or use hand sprayer and dont get spray into the heart area of the corn,---just below the leaves!----takes out broadleaf weeds, BUT not grasses!! thanks; sonny

TJG
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TJG » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:44 pm

In larger spaces and between rows I will use round-up carefully. I will either dribble it out of a hand-held pump-sprayer, or I also have a 1 inch sponge paint brush taped on the end of a stick and will walk around and dab it on the plants I want to get rid of. I carry a plastic cup with round-up in it and just dab it here and there. I get the concentrated 50% round up and use 3 ounces per gallon. It kills the roots much better than I can with a hoe (especially grass and thistle), but our crops are not "round-up ready" as I have found out here and there. About every 3 days I walk around and hit the areas I missed before. My gardens aren't large (130 feet x 50 feet, and 40 feet x 20 feet) so this works well for me.

I thought the cub did a nice job cultivating until the plants got too high. A tiller doesn't work well for me, but others use them for weed control. My soil is very heavy and the tiller just digs in and makes holes.

You can also weed whip the areas if they are very thick. You don't want them to go to seed. Then later when the crop is out spray all of the weeds with round-up.

Todd

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”