This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

chicken house nest boxes

Farming and rural life discussion forum. Cooking, hunting, gardening, fishing, critters, etc.
tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 44491
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU
Circle of Safety: Y

chicken house nest boxes

Postby tinnerjohn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:07 am

I'm building a chicken house for the chickens my wonderful brother-in-law got my grand kids for easter (actually Grandpa has wanted some for a long time, just wasn't sure how it would go over with Grandma (she has bad memories of a rooster when she was little). Her brother solved that obstacle for me. Back to the point. I want to use the treated plywood that was left from the floor to build the nest boxes, but am not sure if the chemicals used would be harmful to the chickens. I'm not a tree hugger completely, but I just want to be safe. Hopefully, someone on the forum has had some experience with this and can offer an opinion. John

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Don McCombs
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 21550
Tractors Owned: "1950 Something" Farmall Cub
1957 Farmall Cub w/FH
1977 International Cub w/FH
1978 International Cub
1948 Farmall Super A

Re: chicken house nest boxes

Postby Don McCombs » Thu Apr 23, 2009 12:22 pm

Other opinions may vary, but I would not use the treated plywood. I have had a reaction to it and the hens may, too.
Don McCombs
MD, Deep Creek Lake

Proud Member of Maryland Chapter 39

The best teachers are those who show you where to look, but don't tell you what to see.
A. K. Trenfor

RaymondDurban
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 32536

Postby RaymondDurban » Thu Apr 23, 2009 6:36 pm

Get yourself some plastic milkcrates, cut one side down a little for easier entry and exit and screw the crate to the wall. Put a little straw in there and your done!!

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years
Tractors Owned: 52 Cub, 42 Farmall H 49 Ford 8N (FIL's tractor) and a yard full of implements for them 51 Chevy 3100 PU

Postby tinnerjohn » Thu Apr 23, 2009 8:47 pm

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to pass on using the treated plywood. Something just told me it was a bad idea, guess I just needed a second opinion. I like the milk crate idea, just may give it a shot. I can taste the eggs already. John

ellen
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby ellen » Sat May 02, 2009 8:19 am

Whatever you use make sure you put some sort of "lip" on the bottom of the box. Chickens like to get in the boxes and "ruffle" the nesting material to make it nice and comfy. This lip will help to keep it in the box.
Check out this web site. They have lots of good info.
http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/index.php

daddydip
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 19320
eBay ID: 2001fltri
Tractors Owned: CC108
1948 farmall f cub
1955 farmall f cub
1955 international lo boy
1952 vai case
2005 236B Caterpillar
1999 TDI Jetta MK IV I like!
2008 H.D FLTRI

Postby daddydip » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:41 pm

old roofing shingles work good for a base. after they get to mucked up toss them, replace and keep on grabbing eggs :D
One Life , One Love , A Love Supreme

The only thing new is untold history, Harry Truman

Brent
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 93510

Postby Brent » Sun Jun 28, 2009 9:20 am

I had one piece of treated plywood out of 12 on the sides of my round pen. Guess which one one of the horses decided to chew on. He didn't feel too good for a couple of days but everything turned out all right.
Always try the easiest thing first.

tinnerjohn
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby tinnerjohn » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:17 pm

Thanks for everyones input. After Mama not wanting to give up her milk crates (she uses them for laundry baskets) I decided to use treated on the floor and T1-11 for the back, ends , and dividers. So far its been working well. One of the chicks that was "sexed" started crowing about three weeks ago and one of my neighbors came over tonight to tell me he really enjoys hearing it. I hope the rest of them feel the same because I'm not real fond of chicken and dumplings. I think I will try the shingle idea though. It sounds a lot easier than scraping with a piece of sheet metal. John

Return to “Farm Life and Better Half Forum”