This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Alert...bad IH parts

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Alert...bad IH parts

Postby Cubnut » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:12 pm

Thought I'd pass this along in case anyone is considering a steering rebuild involving new IH parts. All references can be found in the Suspension section on page I02 of the parts catalog.

The owner of my project 1950 FCub decided to buy new tie rod tubes (# 25, 350782R11, $121), tie rods (#27, 350778R1, $58 ) and the retainer plate on the main steering arm ($68 ). The tie rods & tubes that arrived were made incorrectly and did not fit...the welds on the tubes were too big and wouldn't allow them to fit through the holes in the plate, and the bolt notches in the tie rods were too shallow and would not allow the clamp bolts to be installed to lock the setting in place. He brought them back to the dealer, who reordered them, but the replacements had the same problem. It seems that IH does not make these parts, but instead provides the engineering plans to an outside contractor to make for them...the plans were correct, but the contractor misread them and manufactured the parts incorrectly. As a result, all the similar parts in stock everywhere are wrong. This issue is being addressed by IH, and the parts man says that it'll be corrected in the future...but he has no idea when it will be. In the mean time, he will modify our new parts on his bench grinder so we can use them, then swap us out for the good ones when they become available.

It doesn't look to me like it would be very difficult to modify the parts to make them work, but I'm a bit leary of grinding on new parts that cost that much. Besides, for that price, I would expect parts that fit.
These cubs never grow up

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:22 pm

On a related note, he also ordered & received a new crankshaft pulley from IH. It looks like it was rough-machined from a solid piece of cast steel, but it should work. The restorers would be howling (rightfully)...it looks very little like an original pulley on the rear face just before the seal surface, and it has no part number cast into it...just written on it with a Magic Marker. It has no paint or primer...just bare metal. At least it has the hand crank slots.

Whether or not it fits, I have no idea. I'll find out tomorrow.
These cubs never grow up

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Sun Dec 19, 2004 9:32 pm

LOL! Hey, guys...I didn't put the little smiley faces in the original topic. They came up when I typed a number eight in the prices.
These cubs never grow up

johnbron
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 00000

Postby johnbron » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:20 pm

Cubnut wrote:LOL! Hey, guys...I didn't put the little smiley faces in the original topic. They came up when I typed a number eight in the prices.

Yeah, That number 8 (eight) always does that to me also like when I describe my 48 Cub.

Well I`ll be darned, It didn`t do it this time. :shock:
Then came Bronson

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Sun Dec 19, 2004 10:34 pm

I've seen comments about similiar problems on Redpowermagazine.com and ytmag.com, and not just on IH parts. The problem seems to be primarily in parts manufactured out side the U.S. Comapnies are contracting them out and putting what they receive on the shelf without checking them. Part of the blame goes to the manufacturers, and part to the companies such as Case/IH for no quality control.
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:02 pm

I fixed your smileys. It is a little easier to read this way. Put a space between the "8" and the ")" to keep them from turning into a smiley.

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:29 pm

Case IH buys quite a few parts overseas, especially for the older tractors. It wasn't too long ago that case IH still offered valves for the F-20, and they were made in malaysia (I think they have alot of engine valves made there).. Look at the magneto coil cover caps they offer for the cub.. They are quite hideous looking...... I am biased, but original production/NOS parts are about as perfect as perfect can be.. (which isn't always 100%, as I have a NOS upper rear seal retainer for a 650 Diesel that was not machined with the slot for the neoprene seal!!!)

Cubnut
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Cubnut » Mon Dec 20, 2004 8:22 am

Thanks for fixing the smileys, Jim! It's a lot easier to read now, and I'll remember about the space.

The owner has bought a LOT of parts from IH in the last couple of months to repair the butchery on this tractor, but this is the first time he received anything bad. All the other parts were just fine.
These cubs never grow up

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

John....

Postby SundaySailor » Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:47 pm

I just ordered a new radiator for my Cub (~1950). from YTmag. Do you think I'm in for trouble? I'm going through some rebuilds on mine while I don't need it, and I'm trying to get as much done as feasable.

Thanks,

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:30 pm

I've tried 3 water temp gauges from CaseIH this year for my H and still don't have one that works. Seems they are selling them for the looks only. Maybe most people that buy them are installing them on restored tractors for looking at and a parade once a year, so they really don't much mind if they actually work or not. I however would like one that WORKS!!

nosih
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby nosih » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:34 pm

The temp gagues that IH sells, and that OEM tractor parts sells, are made by rochester gauge co. These gagues are for tractors with the pressurized cooling system, so they read at a higher temperature scale that the non pressurized systems (you may be running the gauge in a non-pressurized system). These gauges are also not of the quality they used to be (I hate the plastic covered capillary)..

WKPoor
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby WKPoor » Mon Dec 20, 2004 6:41 pm

I am using the gauge in a pressurized system. After the second one I got wise and started checking them in the kitchen first. Thats when I gave up for a while. Maybe there next batch in will be better. I have an NOS stewart warner that has same size gauge and thread for head. I'm seriously thinking of just puttin it in. It passes the kitchen test with flying colors.

Return to “Farmall Cub”