This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

sleeves

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

sleeves

Postby beaconlight » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:59 pm

I know that the 60 cu in cub engines do not have sleeves but that the operating manual for 60 cu in IH engines in power ubits do. Under trouble shooting they say for piston slap change piston and sleeve. I called Binder books and am trying to get the operationg and parts manual for the thresher engine engine I have. I'll know more when that arrives.

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Dan England
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 71770

Postby Dan England » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:23 pm

Beaconlight: You might check with Rudi or Partsman for a parts manual for the power unit. I sent them parts manuals for two different power units. I did this about a year ago and don't remember which units they were for. Dan

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:27 pm

Thanks Dan.
I have a operating manual for the UC 60 power unit. My unit is a 60 HTC (harvester, thresher, combine). Super A sent me the Spec page for mine. It lists 2500 Rpm as the max full load as does the UC 60 for it. It would be interesting if many power units have sleeves.
There was talk a while back about no sleeves because of cooling problems, Something about heat transfer. It makes me wonder how they fixed that for power units, whln it seems to be the same basic block. There is some mention of a "TOCCO" hardened crankshaft in the specs also. I don't know if that is something special for power units or just fancy wording because all 60 CU in engines came with them or at least after a certain date. There is also mention of precision bearings. Again, puffery or because these could be pounding away 24x7, they need special.
Can't wait to hear back from Binder Books or any one with more info. If there are sleeves perhaps they could be used to reserect otherwise good but maxed bored blocks. We all know they aren't making any more blocks and there won't be many more NOS blocks. Those that got in on that deal did well for them selves.

Bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

parts man
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby parts man » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:43 pm

All IH cranks ( and I think maybe cams ,not sure) of that day used the TOCCO hardening process (not sure what that means either :lol: ). The bearings were also all "precision". :wink: The service manuals give those descriptions for other models I have seen, IE: A,B,C etc.
V.P. of T.S.A. (taking stuff apart)

Jim Becker
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 55319
Circle of Safety: Y

Postby Jim Becker » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:15 pm

Yeah, what Partsman said on the hardening, bearings and all. I never heard of power units having sleeved blocks. Could be, but I find it surprising.

Tocco hardening is also called induction hardening. Magnetic induction is used to electrically heat just a thin layer on the outside of the part being hardened. IH first did it on F-12 crankshaft journals in about '35. When they moved into Louisville, they went big time into the process, They used it on engine parts, transmission gears and anything else they thought it would help.

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby beaconlight » Tue Dec 21, 2004 8:46 pm

Thanks partsman and Jim. I was suprised too that's why I asked. I still have not heard back from Binder books on the parts manual so i can'r say for sure, just quote the operating manual. Wouls be interesting though.

bill
Bill

- John Wayne

- Aesop

Return to “Farmall Cub”