This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Clutch Throwout Bearing???

IHC Cub Cadet Forum -- Questions and answers to all of your Cadet related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 40218
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Clutch Throwout Bearing???

Postby Paul B » Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:15 am

Landreo
I doubt that any bearing on a cub cadet is proprietary to IHC other than the plastic bushing on the steering shaft

You are certainly free to believe what you want, and maybe one of these early IH part numbers can be crossed to a bearing that can be used: ST 435, or IH-391237-R91. The only one of the bearing's I have out right now is marked PHC 217 W1B, or it may be an 8 rather than a B, so that may cross to a usable replacement. The ID, or bore of the bearing's, is 5/8".

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 29130
Tractors Owned: fcub(5)
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD 40T, JD 420 crawler-loader, JD MT
JD Unstyled A, Styled A, Unstyled AR
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:52 pm

I am not being sarcastic but just trying to help BigBill. Someone on this board may have been part of IHC at a corporate level and knows the history of the bearing. Bushings and the like may have been made by IHC and would have had a patent at one time. It would make sense to use commercial off the shelf ball and roller bearings and I expect that is what was done. Since the bearing I have has a non-IHC part number, I assume it was at that time commercially available from the bearing manufacturer and is not proprietary to IHC. I do not recognize the logo so I have no idea who made the bearing. We have a apparently valid number from Nice and a bearing supplier should be able to get the bearing. If the bearing is still under patent to IHC, a long patent time, the there would be no point to looking elsewhere.

It still may be NLA from Nice and BigBill may still have to pay the 40+ dollars.
This winter I need to go over my cadets and look at those bearings, I may be in the same boat as Big Bill.

BigBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000

Postby BigBill » Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:13 am

I'm browsing for a replacement throwout bearing for now. I hate to bite the bullet and go for 4 or 5 new throwout bearings but that maybe the only way.
I'm technically misunderstood at times i guess its been this way my whole life so why should it change now.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:41 pm

I was wrong, maybe. The bearing I have has a number and a logo. The logo is WP which I believe is "West Pullman" which was either a bearing manufacturer or a factory owned by IHC. Either way the patent has long since expired on whoever WP is. The "Nice" bearing is listed as obsolete and has not been made since 2005.

However, here is the results of some experimentation with a $6 bearing:

The difference is the extended inner race is on both sides rather than one side but that should not matter.

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:40 pm

The West pullman plant made the nuts and bolts that IH used, originally with the IH emblem on the head of the bolt used on the Cub Cadets (and I assume other IH built vehicles/equipment). In the late 60's or early 70's, the IH was replaced by WP on the head. I'm told that was done so bolts could be sold to other company's. I don't know if they made bearings there or not, but it is very possible. I did not start messing with Cub Cadets until well after the line had been sold, and well after IH became part of Case IH, and in all my attempts to find a less expensive Cub Cadet throwout bearing, I was always told the same thing, and by different bearing houses, that the bearing was only available thru the dealer.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:22 pm

Here are a few more pictures on the bearing I found. The bearing is an ag bearing made by Timken and others with IHC and Case cross matches. I got the bearing from TSC for 6 dollars. I pushed the old IHC bearing out of the outer shell and pushed the new bearing into the shell. That is all there is to do. If you have a bad throwout bearing but a good shell then this may save buying the $50 bearing.

Left is the shell, center is the new bearing, right is the old bearing.

Left is the new, center is the shell, right is the old bearing.

The number is 203krr-2, TSC number is 11-96252

Paul B
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby Paul B » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:36 pm

Let us know how it works. My concern is with the center extension being different, is if there is enough extention to center the bearing in the throwout arm. The rear extension will also space the bearing slightly further forward on the driveshaft.

CC102
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 08882

Postby CC102 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:29 am

Sorry for digging up this old bone but wondering if this timken bearing worked out for anyone. Looking for options for my 102. Also looking for some direction on properly removing and reinstalling the new bearing on shaft.

Does anyone know of any other bearings that may have been cross referenced since this thread went dead?

48 cub
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 15057
Tractors Owned: 48 Farmall Cub
68? CubCadet 104
69 Allis Chalmers B110
Bolens G14

Postby 48 cub » Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:24 pm

I dont know but I am going to need either a new through out bearing or a new clutch plate for my 104, or even possibly both. I am going to try to see what my local bull international dealer can do. By the way, does anyone know what would cause the clutch not to stop even if you have the pedle all the way down, is it the clutch plate or the throw out bearing? If someone could please let me know? Thanks Ray
48 Farmall Cub

wdeturck
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby wdeturck » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:36 am

If the clutch plate got wet and it sat(doesn't take to long on the Originals the pressure plate rust to the clutch plate(doesn't very often wit he NF but it will have to be pried apart). A broken teaser spring can keep the clutch turning. Bull International has some older parts guys that will help you with Cub Cadets and I have found NOS parts still in stock. Good luck
The Geezer from IHregistry.com which crashed and is now Cub Cadet Collectors.

Landreo
10+ Years
10+ Years
tricycle cub
154 (4)
Earthmaster (2)
JD H
Centaur Tractor
AC Model C, G
Cub Cadets (9)
Gibson D
Red-E

Postby Landreo » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:43 am

CC102 wrote:Sorry for digging up this old bone but wondering if this timken bearing worked out for anyone. Looking for options for my 102. Also looking for some direction on properly removing and reinstalling the new bearing on shaft.

Does anyone know of any other bearings that may have been cross referenced since this thread went dead?

I have one of the TSC bearings on my 102 for several years now. So far working well.

CC102
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CC102 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:41 am

Landreo wrote:
CC102 wrote:Sorry for digging up this old bone but wondering if this timken bearing worked out for anyone. Looking for options for my 102. Also looking for some direction on properly removing and reinstalling the new bearing on shaft.

I have one of the TSC bearings on my 102 for several years now. So far working well.

I just realized you had responded to using this bearing and it's working for you. Thank you. I went looking for the 203KRR2 bearing and NAPA has them. They have one made overseas(China I'm sure) for about $4.50 but was not in stock and would have to be special ordered which would cost more with shipping. The other is Made in the USA and it's $7.50 so even if the cheaper one is in stock I would jump on the better quality one for a few bucks more, which I did and should be in the store in a few hours as I had to place an order also but from their warehouse which costs nothing more. NAPA Part#'s for the USA made one is: BRG 203KRR2 the other one if anyone is interested is: PGB P203KRR2 or you can just type in 203KRR2 on NAPA website search click interchange box and then hit search.

Thanks for confirming this bearing fits. Anyone have any good footage or video of how to properly remove the old bearing and installing the new showing what needs to come apart to get the bearing out? I took a quick look at it and I don't know if it can be removed through the clutch area. Does the drive shaft have to be completely removed? Thanks again.

CC102
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby CC102 » Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:17 pm

Just wanted to update some info about the bearing I picked up from NAPA. On the phone they told me that the cheaper one was made overseas and the other one was made in the USA, but unless they stuck me with one of the cheaper ones that they wound up finding and still charged me for the other bearing the box says it's made in China. Bearing is stamped with brand PEER and # 203krr2 I just didn't want to mislead anyone who may find this thread usefull one day and expected a USA made bearing. I just wanted to get home with the bearing and didn't question them. It looks and turns just fine and smooth but time will tell.

Return to “Cub Cadet”