This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Somebody done somebody wrong....

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH
Circle of Safety: Y

Somebody done somebody wrong....

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:27 am

Well, I've just found out that my poor little Cub :( apparently has been changed from a magneto to distributor setup. I'm in the process of trying to finish up with a new 4 wire harness, and found out via the defective light switch that the tractor was partially converted. (Light switch coil and resistor are toast). Not only that, but I was given a new-fangled replacement light switch that doesn't want to co-operate and turn the dang lights on. I've verified with a digital-multimeter that the light bulbs are good, and I tried to follow the original wires (which BTW, the insulation disintegrated in my hands upon touching them) with the meter while trying to install the new 4 wire harness. It'll be light soon, and maybe I can go have a look see at how everything is wired now so you can answer my question(s) better. And, the question(s) is/are: Why do I have one wire left over, and why do I not have lights? :o :? Anyone done a change-over like this, and could you give some hints as to where else I need to look? The tractor does run (sounds might purty too!), and I need to verify what I'm seeing is that the tractor is indeed charging as it is supposed to . The ammeter shows a slight negative pointer on the dial. Again, I'd have to go look at the tractor to see where it is pointing to.

Thanks in advance,

Rick
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Bill V in Md
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 21228
Tractors Owned: 1948 Farmall Cub
LT1045 Cub Cadet

Light Switch

Postby Bill V in Md » Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:18 am

Rick,

Most of the light switches that I have seen are pretty old and rusty. It is possible that the contacts on the back of the light switch are corroded to the point that you have an open circuit. Try checking the resistance across these terminals when the lights are switched on. If it is open circuit with the lights switched on, then that is your problem. If you have touch control, the back of the switch is not easily accessed, so you may have to remove it to clean the rear terminals.
Bill VanHooser
Cub 54 Blade, Cub 193 Moldboard Plow, Cub 28A Disc Harrow
Circle of Safety

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:23 am

If the insulation is falling off the wires, you're guaranteed to have more problems once you get the switch working.

SundaySailor
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 00000
Tractors Owned: 1950 Cub
2000 Simplicity Landlord DLX
1988 JD 322 Garden Tractor with hydraulic scoop, 54" scrape blade and 48" mower deck, Haban 3 pt hitch sickle bar mower

2014 LS XR3032H w/ FEL and BH

Ok, here's what I think I have...

Postby SundaySailor » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:59 am

Image Hope this will show up. From what I've written down, here's what I have. I hope I've described it well enough so anyone can understand. BTW, the wiring harness actually ahd 5 wires. One green, one brown, one gray (not currently connected to anything) and two different black wires that I'm sure go to the headlights. One of the black wires splits into two wires for the right and left headlights.

Wish I could do better, but I've never seen anything like this before. :oops:

Rick

I'll be danged....It shows up. There's hope for me yet! 8)
Though trillions and trillions of eyes have been watching the skies for as long as human memory exists, no gods nor angels have been seen or documented outside of religion. The number of spaceships being sighted however has become much more prevalent.

Return to “Farmall Cub”