This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Blade Mount

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
mwilke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Blade Mount

Postby mwilke » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:54 am

I am trying to mount an IH Blade on my recently purchased '48 Cub. The cub has a manual lift. I helped my brother mount his blade on his low boy with hydralic lift. I'm sure I have everything the same except the lift linkage looks like it is too short when mounted on my cub. Is there a longer link for straight cub than for low boy?

I bought the tractor, blade, plow and Woods belly mower-mounted-in a package deal. The guy I bought from said He could not figure out how to mount the blade either. He said he only used the mower whis was indeed mounted and functioning when I bought the package.

Any help would be appreciated. Please forgive any improper protocol. I am new at posting on this site.

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

beaconlight
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 10314

Postby beaconlight » Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:58 am

Do you know which blade it is? Is there a name tag or any other markings? Did the guy you bought it from have any idea of model or numbers?

Bill
Bill

"Life's tough.It's even tougher if you're stupid."
- John Wayne

" We hang petty thieves and appoint the great ones to public office."
- Aesop

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 63664
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:06 am

Go to http://www.tmtractor.com and look at the gallery. A hand lift will mount the same as a hydralic. You can adjust the travel by moving where the front rockshaft rod connects to the hand lift. There is also a manual for the blades on Rudi's manual serber http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/index.html
If you are not part of the solution,
you are part of the problem!!!

mwilke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Blade Mount

Postby mwilke » Wed Dec 22, 2004 11:57 am

In response to beaconlight, based on the "tmtractor" pictures and measurements it is a '53 and since model 54A. So that answers that question.

In response to John, I do have the manual and I will look closer at it. I tried to move the rock shaft rod to a different position. I will try again. The age-old issue "Why read the instuction manual before you put it together?" is play here. I do no thave the bellcrank extension Assembly. But that should not affect the positioning an d th eability to lift--should it? What purpose is the bellcrank assembly other thant to ake some pressure of the lifting bolt?

Thanks to John and beaconlight for leading me down the correct path. I'll try to hook up later today.

mwilke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Blade Mount

Postby mwilke » Wed Dec 22, 2004 2:08 pm

I have now put the blade on my cub exactly like the manual says and I cannot get the blade to lift any higher than about 1/2 inch off the ground. The mounting bracket at the frame seems like it should be positioned more straight up and down. If I could get the bottom of the mount to move forward the front the blade would be higher.

I don't have any more ideas.

Thanks

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 18603
Tractors Owned: 1948 Cub
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:23 pm

Below is a picture of my '48 with the 54A blade front mounted and with manual lift. I highlighted two places to check where the lift could make a big difference. If you have a loose fit in all the bolt holes, the accumulation could also make a difference. You also didn't mention if you had a lowboy. That would be the problem, and you would need a L54A blade setup if your current blade is the C54A. Hope this helps a little ......................

Ron

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:31 pm

Forgot to ask...... Did you check out this recent string?

http://farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=5707

There may be some info here you could use............
Ron

mwilke
10+ Years
10+ Years

Blade mount

Postby mwilke » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:34 am

Thanks for the picture, Ron L. My set up is just like yours. I have a regular cub--not a low boy. I do have some slack/wobble in my bolt connections. So I plan to work on that. I guess every little bit helps. I did not see the string of notes regarding blade mounting until now. I just found this site a few days ago. Thanks for that link.

I guess if I cant get it to work in the front I might try the mid mount. I am glad to see you did not use the bell crank assembly. That makes me feel like I can get along without it also.

I appreciate the help. I hope I can return the favor to someone later.

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Tractors Owned: 47, 48, 49 cub plus Wagner loader & other attachments. 41 Farmall H.

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 23, 2004 1:21 pm

The arm on mine that connects to the rockshaft is homemade,a nd connects to the pin on the end of the shaft rather than the bolt hole. That little bit of difference gives quite a bit more travel.

LabadieBill
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 63055

Postby LabadieBill » Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:59 pm

I have a snow blade mounted on my 47 Cub and don't live too far from you. You are welcome to look at mine if you want.

Bill

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:41 pm

Looks like we're starting to build a good membership in this part of the state.

TBAR
10+ Years
10+ Years

Postby TBAR » Fri Dec 24, 2004 12:06 am

IH2444 & 1949 Farmall Cub

Ron L
10+ Years
10+ Years
1955 Cub

Postby Ron L » Fri Dec 24, 2004 7:56 am

John *.?-!.* cub owner wrote:The arm on mine that connects to the rockshaft is homemade,a nd connects to the pin on the end of the shaft rather than the bolt hole. That little bit of difference gives quite a bit more travel.

Mwilke. What John mentioned is what I would do if I couldn't get it to lift higher. The arm would be simple to make. Put your manual lift lever at the raised position and block the blade up at your highest desired heigth. Then mark the new arm where the holes would be. Seems simple enough if you have access to the material.
Ron

John *.?-!.* cub owner
Cub Pro
Cub Pro

Postby John *.?-!.* cub owner » Fri Dec 24, 2004 10:38 am

Shouldn't be too hard to make just an extension that you could clamp to the old one to experiment with, then make a complete longer one or an extension when you get the length you need that will either mount to the original position or to the end of the rockshaft..

Return to “Farmall Cub”