This site uses cookies to maintain login information on FarmallCub.Com. Click the X in the banner upper right corner to close this notice. For more information on our privacy policy, visit this link:
Privacy Policy

NEW REGISTERED MEMBERS: Be sure to check your SPAM/JUNK folders for the activation email.

Carburetor Question New '76 Cub

The Cub Club -- Questions and answers to all of your Cub related issues.
Forum rules
Notice: For sale and wanted posts are not allowed in this forum. Please use our free classifieds or one of our site sponsors for your tractor and parts needs.
JOHN G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71032
Tractors Owned: '76 Cub
'49 Super A
'56 Farmall 400
Factory LP
'59 international 240U
'84 International 684 Diesel
60 Wild Cows

Carburetor Question New '76 Cub

Postby JOHN G » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:46 am

Well did a tune up on the '76 cub plugs, wires, and the whole bit. I'm pleased with the way it starts and all. But, I seem to run into the stranges things. This cub has a Bendix Carb. I took the air intake hose off the inspect the butterfly and to look for any gunk build up. I noticed when I took the hose off the butterfly (flap) was closed. In short when you pull the choke cable out - the flap is open - when you push the choke cable in - the flap is closed. It does not look like anyone has ever tampered with any of the mechanism at all. I think it has been these way from the very begining. The funny thing is the tractor runs exactly the same pushed in or pulled out. It is absolutely crazy to me. There is a very small adjustment screw behind the Carb that is with the governor linkage and then the large adjustment screw at an angle by the fuel line at the carb. What does each do? The choke thing has really got me. I hate to start taking the carb apart because it seems to run so good. There is a round plate this different holes and i suspect this is where you would turn the choke. I really don't know what to do.
Anyway the road goes on forever and the party never ends. Tell me what y'all think.

John G.
John G
'76 Cub
'50 Super A (Converted to LP)
'56 Farmall 400 Factory LP
'59 International 240U (Converted to LP)

The Road Goes On Forever and The Party Never Ends

SPONSOR AD

Sponsor

Sponsor

Barnyard
Team Cub
Team Cub
Zip Code: 45030
Tractors Owned: At This Time
40 Farmall Cubs (Round Hood)
2 Farmall Cub (Square Hood)
2 IH Cubs (Square Hood)
5 Lo-Boys (Round Hood)
2 Lo-Boys (Square Hood)
2 Farmall 404's
1 Farmall H
1 Ferguson 20
1 Cub Cadet 125
1 Kubota B-7100
Circle of Safety: Y

Re: Carburetor Question New '76 Cub

Postby Barnyard » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:03 pm

John, it could be the choke lever got flipped at one time and it would work in reverse. Can you post a pic of it?
There are two ways to get enough Cubs. One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.

Circle of Safety

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:24 pm

The carburetor is more commonly referred to as a Zenith. Bendix Corporation purchased the Zenith Carburetor company many decades ago and cast their name on each and every carburetor Zenith made since.

Someone in the past attached the choke cable wrong. The fact that the choke being open or closed does not change the engine performance has me wondering what other things have been mis-repaired with that carburetor.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

Matt Kirsch
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 14559

Postby Matt Kirsch » Fri Jul 24, 2009 2:33 pm

Bendix isn't the correct carburetor for any Cub. Yours should have a Zenith. Got a picture?

Have you put it to work yet? When the tractor needs extra fuel, the choke problem you described will probably become evident as a lack of power or poor running, like it's starved of fuel.

Or, the carburetor may be such an oddball that the tractor is getting adequate air and fuel even with the choke closed.

Bigdog
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 43113

Postby Bigdog » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:56 pm

Matt - As Carl said - Bendix and Zenith are the same carb. The one on my 76 also has a Bendix logo embossed in it.
Bigdog
If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.

My wife says I don't listen to her. - - - - - - - - Or something like that!

http://www.cubtug.com

JOHN G
10+ Years
10+ Years
Zip Code: 71032
Tractors Owned: '76 Cub
'49 Super A
'56 Farmall 400
Factory LP
'59 international 240U
60 Wild Cows

Postby JOHN G » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:05 pm

It is a zenith carb. I guess i did not have sense enough to know the difference. It does have Bendix embossed on the casting, so i assumed the Bendix name. I guess tomorrow i will change the rotation of the choke flap.
I did finally get to mow today. With the choke cable pulled out and it really did a fine job until the belt decided not to stay on anymore. It has been determined that i need a new belt. It is kinda rounded on the corners. Does any one know the part # for the belt for a C2 mower? I thank everyone for their input

John G.
John G
'76 Cub
'50 Super A (Converted to LP)
'56 Farmall 400 Factory LP
'59 International 240U (Converted to LP)

The Road Goes On Forever and The Party Never Ends

Lurker Carl
Cub Pro
Cub Pro
Zip Code: 16685

Postby Lurker Carl » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:54 pm

Don't despair about not knowing that Bendix purchased Zenith and plastered their name on the castings, most people wouldn't until they try to find parts using the Bendix name instead of Zenith.

I'm glad to hear the carburetor works properly. Mowing is a great test to uncover performance issues. I was concerned about what else might might be wrong when you described the choke being ineffective and hooked up in reverse.

I can't help you with the belt question but someone here knows that answer or where to find it.
"Chance favors the prepared mind."
- Louis Pasteur

"In character, in manners, in style, in all things, the supreme excellence is simplicity."
- Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

bob in CT
Team Cub Mentor
Team Cub Mentor
Zip Code: 06040
Tractors Owned: 77 Cub (red); 74 Cub; 52 Cub; 50 Cub ( post-demo)

Postby bob in CT » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:05 am

The IH part number for the belt is 477 180 Rl

If the old one is intact you can just have it matched up. I use a Gates belt on my C-3. A good belt make a world of difference.

Did you get any/all the manuals I emailed you?

Return to “Farmall Cub”