Poison Gas

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:46 pm

I found this on another group.

It seems that brake cleaner and welding with a wire welder using argon gas mixes to turn to phosgene gas. The page takes a while to load but is a interesting read.

"Do NOT use brake cleaner to prep metal for welding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

The warning was right on the can, it pays to read even though you know you know everything.

Re: Poison Gas

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:56 pm

I guess its a good thing I am not allowed a welder.

Re: Poison Gas

Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:08 am

good post,this will be pasted on. thanks :big afro:

Re: Poison Gas

Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks, I never had a use for brake cleaner but ran across a few cans in the recycle bin. I keep one on the work bench but will rethink where I use it. It was a cheap carb cleaner replacement, not any more. I can't imagine running it through an engine like carb cleaner.

Re: Poison Gas

Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:48 pm

Trust me folks. You want nothing to do with phosgene. I used to make the stuff, as a raw ingredient in a nasty final product. It is a potent poisonous gas. One of my coworkers failed to heed good advice and paid the ultimate price. Heed batty's advice.


Re: Poison Gas

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:22 pm

Joe Malinowski wrote:I guess its a good thing I am not allowed a welder.

Joe, you shouldn't be trusted with any hot object, but especially, not a welder! Ed
(hot donuts, are an exception, and maybe a coffee.)

Re: Poison Gas

Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:50 pm

I think argon straight up is also deadly, ifn I remember correctly .........

Re: Poison Gas

Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:03 am

Battery acid and salt water is another killer. You get a cloud of greenish chlorine gas. While working on the DEW Line in Alaska many moons ago some one had saved the salt water from a dummy load for the rectifiers in an empty acid barrel. Another thinking it was acid went to top off a newly installed dry charge battery. Well you ncan figure the rest of the story.

Re: Poison Gas

Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:01 am

WOW :shock:
We use this stuff by the cases every week at work. I've read it causes cancer so I use shop gloves all the time now but I never knew this. I weld everyday at this same place so it would be so easy to mix the two...I'm thinking right now of times I might have crossed the two....
I always use it as a prep before painting cub stuff, evaps fast and leaves no oil or even finger prints behind.
I'll be sure to tell the guys tomorrow morning at work. :wink:
Thanks a bunch!